Is this common at your job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
    I take off the first Monday of deer season every year.
    Calling in sick?

Comment

Lack of discipline. Some have it, some don’t. It’s generally a learned behavior either from good parents and role models and quite often from the military or sports.
      My old job was probably 30-40% vets. The people that had attendance problems were generally civilians and the most dependable were usually veterans. Many a time when I was in the army, we would have to run two to five miles while still half drunk or hungover. We learned to get the job done no matter how bad we felt and that just carried over to the civilian world.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
        "Quiet quitting."
        Been hearing that term a lot lately. Had to look it up on the googler just now. Seems very fitting to what I am seeing and experiencing in retail stores, restaurants and so forth lately.

Comment

I just send them back home if they’re more than 15 minutes late.
          Couple unpaid days off seems to be pretty motivating.

Some exceptions have been made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Go into any big chain store and try to get someone to help you or pay cash at the register and see how much change you don't get back correctly. Company I worked for gave 6 sick days(1 day for 2 months' time with total of 60 days accrual) and 10 vacation days per year. I had employees that took sick days as soon as they had a full day with never any time saved up.
            When they used vacation and sick time up, they griped if they were off and didn't get paid for time that was missed. Not just younger people but mostly. Always wanting a pay raise and griping when they didn't get one due to work ethics so they would work less and then I would terminate employment.
            Another pet peeve I had before retirement was people who quit and went to another job, worked short time there and quit only to file unemployment against us.
            There are lowlifes and misfits everywhere and I am glad to not have to put with their bs anymore

Comment

If they have the days…they should use them

Comment

I get 5 weeks of vacation and I do my best to use 5 weeks of vacation.

Life’s to short to pretend the world will stop revolving without my emails.

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                  If they have the days…they should use them
                  I teach, and a coworker on my grade level team took a day and a half off last week, and we already had Friday off, to plan her daughter’s birthday party for Saturday. She’s also going on a week long vacation in November. Teaching is a little different, because when you’re out it messes up your kids and everyone else has to deal with them. We also have a lot of time off to begin with, so it’s pretty irritating when people are irresponsible with their days and extra work falls on the rest of us. She’ll also only have 1.5 days of PTO left to last the last 6 months of school. They’re her days, but it’s still indicative of the mindset that a lot of folks have these days.

Comment

I guess it depends on the type of job you're talking about. Where I'm at, we all earn leave and if someone decides to take their leave, we can perform just fine until they get back. The true test for that was when covid hit and we started having several people out on COVID leave at one time. But we still made it work. It's pretty well understood through the entire company here that we all have families and personal lives, and we all intend on not giving up our lives to an employer. Everyone gets to take care of their personal matters, live their lives, and the operation continues just fine.

Personally, I've seen entirely too many guys who were 100% committed to their jobs regret missing out on all that family time that they can't get back once they get older. I told myself from a young age I would not be that guy when I get old. So far, it's been working out just fine.

If one of my guys tells me they need time - for anything - I encourage them to take it and enjoy themselves. When they get back from that time off, we talk about whatever it was that they did and it's usually pretty good stuff. I find that brings them back refreshed and ready to push hard again in the shop.
                    Last edited by Lost10mm; 10-03-2022, 04:10 PM.

Comment

My favorite saying was "Every now and then, you got to shoot a hostage".

Hah! I love this!

Comment

I have a coworker that I can't remember the last time he did 40hrs a week in the office

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                          The 3rd time it happened you were gone. No 2nd chances.
                          Groundbreaking….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been at the plant 24 years. Have not been late yet . I do use all of my PTO and normally roll 40 hrs of vacation over. Gives me 200hrs vacation 40 sick and 16 personal . I can accumulated up to 80 sick .

Comment

It's really none of my business. If they don't have the hours to take off they don't get paid. Just sucks when someone that has over 80 hours that can be used up is told no when it's only for a few hours. But it is what it is.

I won't feel bad about taking off for a week during huntin season. They obviously don't respect me or anyone else that has to pick up their slack or have important things to do when they're gone. What comes around goes around.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                                Is that why you are at work playing on the computer?
                                I was on lunch or filling up vehicles during all my rants. When I'm there I show my boss I can do three different people's jobs.

On a side note I was told I would be getting a raise. So that's good. At least people notice that I show up and get things done. That made me feel a little better. Not completely but.....It did help.

Comment

Working...
                                X