No announcement yet.

Hay field value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would look at average number of bales made over past three years and average price those three years. Neighbors might help out with those numbers.

Keep the hay field for ag exemption and let someone else hay it for a cheap lease
    I don’t want a hunter leasing my hayfield so I would find a neighbor who bales.

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
      This sounds like a plan! I think i will turn into grass and do small specialized foot plots.
      Have you got any quail?

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
        I would look at average number of bales made over past three years and average price those three years. Neighbors might help out with those numbers.

Keep the hay field for ag exemption and let someone else hay it for a cheap lease
        I don’t want a hunter leasing my hayfield so I would find a neighbor who bales.
        A neighbor who bales can make money if the grass is good and no big weed problems

Comment

I live on 15 acres. About 13 of it is hay meadow. It’s under AG due to cutting hay. The taxsavings due to being in AG is substantial. My brother in law has cattle and wants/needs the hay. I told him the pasture is yours. Fertilize, spray weed killer, whatever you want…treat it like it’s yours. He does and sets up the guy to come cut/bale it and I don’t charge him a thing. He gets the hay and I get Ag exemption and it doesn’t cost me a thing

Comment

Last year I cut 75 bales off 15 acres. Cost me $30 a bale to get it baled. Last year hay was $50 a bale this year it's $140-150 a bale. Have your guy cut it on halves and sell the rest if you have a way to load it. When you say your field is in hay do you mean hay grazer or coastal or what kind of grass. If it's hay grazer you can disc it up and plant what you want if it's coastal if you disc it it will get thicker especially if you get rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
              Have you got any quail?
              Doubt it. This near Lake Lavon.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                Last year I cut 75 bales off 15 acres. Cost me $30 a bale to get it baled. Last year hay was $50 a bale this year it's $140-150 a bale. Have your guy cut it on halves and sell the rest if you have a way to load it. When you say your field is in hay do you mean hay grazer or coastal or what kind of grass. If it's hay grazer you can disc it up and plant what you want if it's coastal if you disc it it will get thicker especially if you get rain.
                It's coastal now.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                  I live on 15 acres. About 13 of it is hay meadow. It’s under AG due to cutting hay. The taxsavings due to being in AG is substantial. My brother in law has cattle and wants/needs the hay. I told him the pasture is yours. Fertilize, spray weed killer, whatever you want…treat it like it’s yours. He does and sets up the guy to come cut/bale it and I don’t charge him a thing. He gets the hay and I get Ag exemption and it doesn’t cost me a thing

I plan to transfer to wildlife exempt asap. So don't have to have the fields farmed.

Comment

Keep for yourself and plant some wheat, you’ll have every deer within 2-3 miles grazing on it.

Comment

Have you done your homework on “wildlife” exemption?
                      You may want to leave that coastal and have someone hay it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

How’s he gonna plant wheat?…..

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot4900 View Post
                          Have you done your homework on “wildlife” exemption?
                          You may want to leave that coastal and have someone hay it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Right…..he gonna rattle that can……

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                            Right…..he gonna rattle that can……
                            My thoughts too
                            But you can have some nice food plots in addition to the hay

Comment

I’d put a protein feeder in the middle of that back yard

Comment

Just have a neighbor cut the hay. Stay away from the wildlife exemption if you already have ag.

Comment

Working...
                                X