No announcement yet.

More CDL questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just had to downgrade my CDL. I drove for school districts since 2013. If you want to drive a school bus, go ahead and apply to a school district. They will train you. You will need to take a 20 hour School Bus Safety course that is good for 3 years. School bus driver pay has gone up quit a bit over the last couple of years. In 2013 I went to work for a very small district and was getting $13 an hour, and only worked 4.5 hours a day. In 2020 I went to work for a mid size district and was getting almost $18 an hour, and was working 5-7 hours a day. Now there are some districts paying $19+ an hour.

Comment

Don't take the road test in a automatic either. If u do, u will be restricted to automatic only on your license

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
        Just in the last year the USDOT has made it a requirement to go through a trainer, some companies have inhouse training programs set up, but if your doing it on your own you will have to go through a school. It is a pain.

Well that sucks. I guess I was reading old info online

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
          Side job? Bus driver don't pay SHET

Whoever it is, make them pay for the tests and material
          Yep just as a side job or something to do when I decide to retire. All them deer leases ain’t gonna pay for themselves

I believe the school district I’m in pays over $18. I make way more than that working currently, but it will be just extra money to supplement the retirement

The concrete driving I saw advertised was $25-$36 and hour.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
            I just had to downgrade my CDL.
            Why? Is there some disadvantage to maintaining it?

Comment

I hired a school bus driver years ago that raved about the benefits. Seemed like he said they had healthcare and retirement benefits like school teachers.

Comment

If u can't pass a dot physical, then your license gets downgraded to a class c

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                  For school bus you'll need the passenger endorsement. Class B for both with air brakes.

All commercial license require a DOT physical also.
                  Not true. There are several exemptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
                    If u can't pass a dot physical, then your license gets downgraded to a class c

Really? I have carried Class A CDL for near 30 years and never had to have a physical. I just can’t haul for pay across state lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                      Just in the last year the USDOT has made it a requirement to go through a trainer, some companies have inhouse training programs set up, but if your doing it on your own you will have to go through a school. It is a pain.
                      Yes. Training is required now. It was a pain before!

Had to go get my physical today. Good for another year now.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        Really? I have carried Class A CDL for near 30 years and never had to have a physical. I just can’t haul for pay across state lines.
                        Intrastate vs interstate is different on the requirements.

Comment

More CDL questions

It was a pain when I got mine. The pain was not having clear requirements available. Still not sure I’m 100% legal. I have a class a combination. Wish I had air breaks and standard transmission. I didn’t have a truck available when I tested. Pre trip is pure memorization. Practice practice practice. Parallel parking a 30’ goose neck in my case was pure luck [emoji23]

Can I add endorsements without paying for a course?

I have to pass a DOT physical every 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Last edited by Stolle; 09-08-2022, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            You must have done the exemption for those that have had a cdl continuously since 89 and are intrastate only.

Comment

If you can’t parallel park just do the best you can without hitting the curb, put the brake on and tell the tester that’s the best you can do. You’ll lose points but won’t automatically fail like you do if you hit the curb.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                                Why? Is there some disadvantage to maintaining it?
                                I can no longer pass a DOT physical after getting a diagnosis of Parkinson’s. It’s an instant fail regardless of the progression. I can still drive a vehicle, just can’t drive a commercial vehicle anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X