KMack's Camp Stories & Misc. Ramblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kmack--

I have thoroughly enjoyed all these recollections from your past. I can only hope that there are more to share with us in the future.
    We all have had a lot of happenings in our past, but you sir have the gift of putting the words on paper that a lot of us lack.
    Thanks again

Comment

Somehow I missed this post till today. I just read the entire post and Laughed and had tears of joys. Thanks for sharing and I too hope there are more to come.

Comment

Old thread but Greatness!

Comment

Hunting Dogs

Most of us have had a "hunting" dog at some time or other. Some are good, some are great! Some....well....let's just say they can hunt, but not necessarily the way we'd like them to!

George

Earlier in this thread, I made a comment about George, the German Shepard. George originally belonged to my great grandfather, Wilford, and when he passed, George was subsequently passed onto us. By default really, since we lived on the 10 acres next door! But George was cool. He was a big ole teddy bear...as long as he had met you before! If he didn't know you, he was all teeth and bark. But he had a memory like an elephant and would be able to remember people by the car they showed up in!

George liked to hunt, but not game. He liked to hunt girls (dogs)! About once every 2-3 months, he dissappear for a week (or two depending on what he found), and then he'd show back up to the house about 10-15 pounds skinnier. He was the first dog I ever saw smile, and he'd only smile when he got back home! He'd spend the next week sleeping on the back porch within a foot of his food bowl, until he could gather enough strength to go after his other hunting passion...cars!

Eventually, he lost that hunt one day...

Bandit

Bandit was a loaner dog that showed up to my parent's place down in San Benito one day and just sort of hung around. We tried to scare him off like all the other strays that would get dropped off past the city limits, but he did scare easily. To this day I still don't know what breed(s) he was, but he was all white except for the big, marbled brown spot surrounding his left eye. Hence why we called him Bandit.

Bandit pretty much stayed around the house all the time and followed me everywhere, even when I was out burning the trash pile. Which is where he shined in a way that I'd never seen before, or have since. He was good at putting out fires! I would light the brush pile, then he'd grab a palm frond and beat the thing on the ground until the fire was out! Craziest thing I'd ever seen.

But Bandit didn't get along with George very well, especially at the food bowls. So Mom gave him to someone that bought one of the cars we had for sale. Last I heard, he made an excellent watch dog!

Tasha

Tasha was this little golden Cocker Spaniel that my Mom found running the streets of Harlingen covered in 80% mange with a broken rope tied tightly around her neck. My Mom, the bleeding-heart animal lover that she is, hid Tasha from my Dad for over a week while she had her at the Vet getting treated for the mange and heart-worms. I don't think anybody really knows the exact amount spent on that dog prior to her officially showing up at the house! But it didn't take long before Tasha was an honorary family member, and the first dog to ever live "in the house" in our family!

During Tasha's reign of our property, my Dad and I were getting good at plinking the big black birds out of the trees with an old Sheridan air rifle. And Tasha was really good at fetching the birds. We never taught her, she just started doing it one day!

Funny thing was Tasha could hear us pump up that Sheridan from over 50 yds away and inside the house. She'd go crazy if she wasn't allowed outside to go get birds! My Dad made the mistake one day of "bird hunting" with the Sheridan one afternoon while my Mom was outside giving Tasha a bath. We heard screaming, yelling, cussing, barking! Then we saw Tasha barreling across the property in a mess of wet fur, flying soap water, and a trail of bubbles! We laughed so hard neither one of us could shoot. It's a wonder both of us didn't get the belt that day!

Tasha also got to go on an RV trip with my parents (when they owned the Gray Ghost previously) up thru Yellowstone. She was sitting on my Mom's lap with her head out the window when she spotted an elk. Mom started screaming and yelling for my Dad to stop the RV, then Mom jumped out the door and took off running after Tasha, who was running after the elk! She didn't catch it. (Story told to me by my Dad, wish I would have been there to see that spectacle!)

K.C.

K.C. was actually a cat, but he was another stray that grew up beside Tasha and really thought he was a dog too! Only cat I've ever seen that would eat everything off your plate just like a dog would, and he knew how to beg. And he was really good at catching field mice, rats, lizards, baby rabbits, birds, and other small animals. He never ate them, just killed them and left them on the back porch for us!

K.C. eventually came to SA with me and lived out his days in total luxury! Until I'd feed him peanut butter and make him cry!

Sara

Sara was a German Shepard Kerri and I got from Joe after we moved into our SA house in 1996 (still in that house today). She came from a breeder/trainer that had government ties so we never got paperwork, but she was a Belgium breed with her b-day tattooed in her ear and mostly black. She was a big ole sweetheart and weighed out at 98 lbs!

Before we got her, she spent a lot of time with Joe's German Shorthair Pointer, Cassie, running around their backyard spotting lizards, squirrels, birds and such. She would just follow Cassie around watching. When Sara came to our house, she was an outside dog and had never really seen a cat before and when she spotted K.C. for the first time in the window it the first time I've ever seen a GS lift that big old bushy tail out straight and point! Front leg lifted and all!!!

All Sara ever really wanted to do was hang out with me in the front of the house and watch the world go by. Outside of her realm of the backyard, she was all business. Always by my side and never a concern that she would stray away. In the back however, she was a total mess of a huge puppy! She'd jump on me, push against me, put her paws almost on my shoulders...
          If I headed out back at night, she'd come barreling around the side of the house and blow into me like a linebacker! Being dark like she was, you'd almost never see her coming. She would lick me like crazy while I tried to get up off the ground. Like I said, a big ole puppy!

Cassie

Speaking of Cassie, she was Joe’s hunting dog. Specifically a bird dog. She was ALWAYS hunting! In the house, in the backyard, at the Vet, everywhere! She was a great quail spotter and could find a covey with amazing accuracy. But Cassie had her own issues. After a weekend of hunting, she’d be scratching for the next two weeks. Yes, Cassie was allergic to grass! Weirdest thing, but true.

After Sara, we had two greyhounds. Not much to say about them other than they really didn’t do anything.

Penny

Penny is our current hunter. She rules the backyard with an iron mouth and will eat anything slow enough for her to imagine that it tastes good! Rabbits? Yes. Squirrels? Yes again. Bunnies? Of course. Birds are her favorite as they are special treats she doesn’t catch often. Lately, it’s that time of year that she hunts Cicadas. She doesn’t bring anything in the house, so that’s a plus. Because she usually has it finished before we even know!

Penny is our guardian dog. Not a guard dog in the normal sense, but more a sentry that’s always watching. She sits and watches…everything. In the back, sitting in the middle of the yard in the grass watching.... waiting. In the RV, she’s perched near a window…watching…everything. In the house, she sits in the front bay window and … you guessed it…watches everything up and down our street.

Penny looks like a Border Terrier, but according to her DNA test, she's 11 lbs of mostly Mexican Street Dog. I never knew that was a breed, but might explain why she tries to eat everything. She was a rescue off the streets of Edinburg though!

All dogs

Suffice it to say that every pooch has their strengths and weaknesses, based on comparisons with other dogs. But they are all strengths of the individual dogs themselves – good & bad. Their character, their identity, their willingness to be our furry friends are the most endearing quality. They ARE family!

And who could say no to those big brown puppy eyes!
          (…as Penny sleeps curled up in my lap as I type this!)
          Last edited by kmack; 01-19-2024, 12:34 PM.

Comment

The Outhouse Debacle...you never know what you don't have until you need it!

This story should be somewhat worthy of the "Guest Mistake Stories" thread, but I'm going to put it here since it I can.

Morgan is the oldest of 4 kids that used to live next door to us. His younger years were "grab the popcorn" worthy, but since he enlisted in the Army, things have gotten substantially better.

Sorry Morgan, but this one's all about you buddy!

The year when Morgan enlisted, James and I invited him to come out to Comfort for a quick hunting trip. All-in-all it was a pretty good weekend, until "someone" decided to use the outhouse! (Yes, Morgan...we're all looking at you!!!)

The outhouse at camp is...well, it's an outhouse! It stands on top of the existing septic system and is probably a good 20 yds away from the cabin, which is a good thing sometimes. It's basically a 4' x 4' box (outside dimensions) with a throne, some electricity (we're not Neanderthals!), a small heater (creature comforts...), and a venting window. It's got some elbow room, but if you lean too far forward and stand up too quick, you'll scratch the hell out of your forehead on the door! But it beats squattin in the woods....(just ask Lynden!)

Somewhere about Saturday afternoon of the hunting trip that's mentioned, Morgan jumps up out of his chair by the fire pit and makes a bee-line for the outhouse. We all laughed a little at his urgency, but the laughter ended shortly after he exited about 15 minutes later.

"Hey guys...ya'll have a plunger?"

Funny thing....we didn't know if we did/didn't have one because we never needed one before!

"Morgan.....they're called maintenance flushes!!! Learn it, live it, use it!"

James and I both "puckered-up" a bit at the idea that the outhouse was now out of commission completely until we could figure out a way to get this problem resolved.

So how do you unclog a clogged toilet without having proper unclogging clogged toilet tools?

Well, you spend the next hour or so searching the cabin and outside "storage" areas looking for something, anything, that can be used to help push "stuff" down the crapper. We didn't find much.

Driving the 45+ minute round-trip into town was especially out of the question since we had all been drinking.

The property owner was also out of town, so we had no access to any of her toilet tools either.

Then James came up with an idea, but it was crappy at best.

During our search, we came across a few pieces of old water hose that had been chewed on by the cows that had been on the property during the Spring/Summer months.

So with a 2 foot long section of 5/8" water hose, Morgan spent the next hour slowly getting the outhouse working again! He also bought us a plunger the next week to leave in the outhouse.

"Maintenance flushes!"

Short Follow-up:
            Morgan has since been in the Army 12+ yrs and was recently relocated back to TX (Ft. Hood) from Hawaii. I called him up a couple weeks ago to see if he wanted to come out hunting with us again. It didn't take much to convince him!

He was actually the one to bring this story back up as I had somewhat forgotten about it. We sat around the fire and told old deer camp stories, just like this one, for hours and we all had a good laugh! It was a great weekend!

That old plunger is still in the outhouse...
            Last edited by kmack; 01-19-2024, 12:38 PM.

Comment

So it's been a bit since I typed out another story for ya'll, but as I sit here in my office at work wasting the day away waiting to make one last trip this season out to the deer lease, I figured I'd put something down to help pass the time...

Not sure if any of this rambling today is story worthy, but... who cares.

Something I've been thinking about the last couple of months has been our current lease. These last few years have seen a lot of changes (good & bad) from what has seemed like a "standard" from previous years. I know...everything changes. I haven't been happy about some of the differences: no longer year-round access to the property, "other" members bringing dogs out when they have been asked not to, lack of participation in lease work by "other" members, etc.

I could write out a couple pages worth of stuff just listing all my grievances.

This past year, James and I were offered an opportunity to look at, and potentially get on, another similar sized property for hunting out near Concan, TX. Owner was looking for some help in getting things fixed and maintained, and offered to allow us to come out and hunt. We spent a couple weekends out there during the season (we got a late start on everything) trying to get feeders/cameras going just to see what would show up. Seemed very promising and maybe a decent enough piece of property as a jumping-off point from the Comfort lease. Until after we got two feeders going...

Owner casually made a comment to James (they are a co-worker of his) that we could come out before the end of this season and take 1 whitetail....each year. Even though we're offering to pay the same as what we have now in Comfort, this didn't seem promising. We're still keeping this "opportunity" in our back pocket for now.

I've been hunting this same property in Comfort since 2005, James since 2009, and Lynden has never deer hunted anywhere else. We all view this property like it is part of our family too, and we treat it as such. We take care of it, we work it, we fix it. We even help out the lady that owns it as if she was part of our own family also. However, the "other" lease members are family! And we can't always compete against that. That fact sometimes makes it hard to complain about things we feel strongly about.

Anyway, that was a just a very brief background of some things for this discussion...

So, the last few weeks have had me rethinking some things about how I feel about certain complaints I've had over the last couple years. The phrase "You never know what you have, until it's gone" has been in the back of my mind for awhile and I don't want that to come true with how hard it is to find a good deer lease nowadays. Also, as I get older I find myself "calming down" some about a lot of grievances I've had in general. And this is starting to apply here in this situation.

I've been keeping in my head a running list of Pros/Cons and lately they've been about equal. But I've forced myself to sit back and really think about how some of my complaints might be a big deal to me, but others might not give a crap one way or the other. And maybe I'm making a mountain out of an anthill.

In truth, I love hunting in Comfort. I have a relationship with the owner, other lease members, the property, and the entire area. Maybe I'm too old to try and start all of this over from scratch.

This property was the last place I got to go hunting with Joe...
              This property Lynden has hunted since the beginning...

You can't just throw things like that away just because you might be a little petty about some "issues." I can be a better man than that!

So here I am fixing myself. I'm telling myself to hold onto what I have because I have these camp stories from this place. I have the memories of hunts from this place. I have the memories of family (past & present) from this place. I have laughed and I have shed tears on this ground. I have even bled on this ground (a little). Most of all, I have thanked God for being able to spend time in its beauty, and for the opportunities to harvest His creatures for my family. I can't throw all that to the wind.

Sometimes being a man means you have to step up and be the better man. I can do this. This is what I want and I will work to make it happen.

Thanks for listening to me today. I know this one has a hard, somber tone to it, but there are a lot of emotions tied up in it for me. I've had a lot of hard conversations with myself about it and I just needed to get this off my chest.

Comment

Who are your Heroes?

As kids we grow up with heroes that show us right from wrong, good from bad, and the things we need to know to help make us the best person we should be. Sometimes those heroes are family, sometimes they're complete strangers. Sometimes they can be a public personality, although I shudder to think of "Hollywood Elites" as heroes, but they could be.

A thought occurred to me yesterday that those early heroes could and sometimes do change as we move thru life. Somethings become less or more important to us as we grow, and therefore previous ideals change. So to must the people that influence us.

So who is my hero?

In general, anyone who has sacrificed their self, their time, their life, in support of others or the freedoms that we enjoy in our country will always be of hero status in my mind. Members of the military (past & present) belong to this group. Fathers and mothers that spend countless hours/days/weeks/months away from home in support of their families because that's what needs to be done in order to provide belong in this group. Those that serve others in selfless ways. All of those people, in general, are real life heroes and each and every one of those kinds of people that you meet will never see themselves in that way.

On a much more personal level for me, and this is my whole reason for writing this, my most prominent hero at this moment is Lynden, my daughter!

She is the most kind, thoughtful, & patient person I know. And she definitely doesn't get those traits from me! She also doesn't sugar-coat things, which she does get from me!

I see how she is with the elementary kids she teaches, and her level of patience with both children and parents is astonishing. She has always been great with "littles" and she can get them to do just about anything she asks, no matter what kind of mood or emotional state they are in. She gets to their level and builds that respect and trust.

Her thoughtfulness shows every time you see her. She is considerate of everyone around her and she will treat you with respect always. As a teacher, I guess that is one of the best qualities to have, because I've heard years-worth of horror stories from both Kerri and her parents as they are/were teachers themselves.

Don't get me wrong, Lynden has shown some moments where her stress levels are severely elevated and she's about to blow a gasket, but she has never shown herself that way out in a public setting. It's always been in the privacy of home when she is venting to Kerri or me. She's like that saying about a duck on water - calm and collected above, with a furriness below that you can't even imagine.

She has dealt with a lot in her life this past year alone. From being engaged, to not being engaged; from being severely in debt, to climbing her way out; from having a partner in her life to help her, to becoming a truly independent woman on her own; she has grown immensely this past year and has become a better stronger woman than before. Her resilience and steadfastness thru it all has amazed me, yet she is still the most patient & considerate person you'll ever meet.

I sat here and thought about all this and have come to realize that a lot of her patience & consideration has started to rub off on me some as I watch her grow into the adult that she has become. Maybe that is some of the reason why my views posted above have been changing...I think that is true! I say keep it up girl!

And so I will raise a virtual beer in her honor... cheers to my home-grown hero! May you forever be the best you can be and strive to never lose sight of the person you are today.

Love ya Cutie!

Comment

Originally posted by kmack View Post
                  So it's been a bit since I typed out another story for ya'll, but as I sit here in my office at work wasting the day away waiting to make one last trip this season out to the deer lease, I figured I'd put something down to help pass the time...

Not sure if any of this rambling today is story worthy, but... who cares.

Something I've been thinking about the last couple of months has been our current lease. These last few years have seen a lot of changes (good & bad) from what has seemed like a "standard" from previous years. I know...everything changes. I haven't been happy about some of the differences: no longer year-round access to the property, "other" members bringing dogs out when they have been asked not to, lack of participation in lease work by "other" members, etc.

I could write out a couple pages worth of stuff just listing all my grievances.

This past year, James and I were offered an opportunity to look at, and potentially get on, another similar sized property for hunting out near Concan, TX. Owner was looking for some help in getting things fixed and maintained, and offered to allow us to come out and hunt. We spent a couple weekends out there during the season (we got a late start on everything) trying to get feeders/cameras going just to see what would show up. Seemed very promising and maybe a decent enough piece of property as a jumping-off point from the Comfort lease. Until after we got two feeders going...

Owner casually made a comment to James (they are a co-worker of his) that we could come out before the end of this season and take 1 whitetail....each year. Even though we're offering to pay the same as what we have now in Comfort, this didn't seem promising. We're still keeping this "opportunity" in our back pocket for now.

I've been hunting this same property in Comfort since 2005, James since 2009, and Lynden has never deer hunted anywhere else. We all view this property like it is part of our family too, and we treat it as such. We take care of it, we work it, we fix it. We even help out the lady that owns it as if she was part of our own family also. However, the "other" lease members are family! And we can't always compete against that. That fact sometimes makes it hard to complain about things we feel strongly about.

Anyway, that was a just a very brief background of some things for this discussion...

So, the last few weeks have had me rethinking some things about how I feel about certain complaints I've had over the last couple years. The phrase "You never know what you have, until it's gone" has been in the back of my mind for awhile and I don't want that to come true with how hard it is to find a good deer lease nowadays. Also, as I get older I find myself "calming down" some about a lot of grievances I've had in general. And this is starting to apply here in this situation.

I've been keeping in my head a running list of Pros/Cons and lately they've been about equal. But I've forced myself to sit back and really think about how some of my complaints might be a big deal to me, but others might not give a crap one way or the other. And maybe I'm making a mountain out of an anthill.

In truth, I love hunting in Comfort. I have a relationship with the owner, other lease members, the property, and the entire area. Maybe I'm too old to try and start all of this over from scratch.

This property was the last place I got to go hunting with Joe...
                  This property Lynden has hunted since the beginning...

You can't just throw things like that away just because you might be a little petty about some "issues." I can be a better man than that!

So here I am fixing myself. I'm telling myself to hold onto what I have because I have these camp stories from this place. I have the memories of hunts from this place. I have the memories of family (past & present) from this place. I have laughed and I have shed tears on this ground. I have even bled on this ground (a little). Most of all, I have thanked God for being able to spend time in its beauty, and for the opportunities to harvest His creatures for my family. I can't throw all that to the wind.

Sometimes being a man means you have to step up and be the better man. I can do this. This is what I want and I will work to make it happen.

Thanks for listening to me today. I know this one has a hard, somber tone to it, but there are a lot of emotions tied up in it for me. I've had a lot of hard conversations with myself about it and I just needed to get this off my chest.
                  Thanks for sharing the above story/thoughts. I know a many hunters that have given up what you have mentioned above that many of us gave up “for a better lease.”
                  Mistakes on my part were made with moving on because of many personal reasons that were important to me but others could care less about back then. You can’t never go back in most cases.

Comment

Old Grey

Another flashback to the past...

I ran across a picture today that I haven't seen in almost 12 years! It brought back some memories and a little bit of missed opportunity too. One of those "should of, could of" moments.

Back in 2009, shortly after James came on board at the Comfort lease, we had made plans to run our feeders year round. We had set up cameras, bought all the corn we thought we needed, and had what seemed like a solid game plan to try and hold some deer on the property during the off season.

That 09-10 season was a good one:
                    - Lynden was on her 2nd hunting season and got another doe (and actually had decent camo clothing!)
                    - My best friend James was now on the lease hunting with me
                    - Joe shot my dam buck!
                    - I had my first metal fence post kill...

Yeah...it had been a great & fun season!!!

Anyway...In the Spring of 2010 we made plans to come out regularly to check the feeders and cameras. March rolled around and I couldn't wait to see what we could see, so James and I headed out on a Saturday morning for just the afternoon at the lease.

Back in those days, all of our feeders were tree-hangers. We had big plastic food-grade drums that had been modified with hanging attachments and "decent" hand-crank winches bolted to the tree trunks. Each feeder would hold almost 350 lbs. We ran 1/8" cable (min) on heavy-duty pulleys (rated for 800 lbs) and hung it all off the biggest branches we could find in each spot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ABLVV85bABPITk4QtEswMWk4XCDbtk0-SqK_NgeVd12XRZeNog4oGRxNhdNbSnfo2a7k06XdxZBIK87cJYAV-qZ1TM8q2_IFkkbx_diiUBmUQbVxjdEOjTyM=w2400.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	685.5 KB
ID:	26706871

Name:	ABLVV86Hn2m4oM5mn9JMnP2jmVLcRghaM-0EG_XP2TAbndaeA3f6cAe1f3xNuh30E2eezAt13dPySS69NFLcc0xjEDvPC46_eF1e26zc_F7F4x8OggpSPM-P=w2400.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	26706872

Name:	ABLVV84iAhsTzh_2jicze05y-WnI57f4-VY1nnjBu_JnEM66NVIpkQZSSrW3QiFUzkXr6fO4i8K5G9IYhID_l2943egDXyh7ZMov5s7y60wLMfftQuMvMWE2=w2400.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	26706873

Like any good deer lease build, they were cobbled-together projects that were sketchy as hell and looked like total crap, but they worked and were very durable! In fact, my setup you see above had actually dropped once before due to some hungry cattle chewing on the hand crank handle. The motor/timer on the bottom was crushed of course, but the barrel had 300+ lbs of corn and basically just kind of bounced! Solid feeders!

So imagine my surprise that March when James and I pull up to my feeder and see it swaying in the wind like a darned kite! Like some squirrel had a rope tied to the bottom of the barrel and was using it as a swing. No corn on the ground, just an empty barrel hanging from a tree.

First thought is the cows got to the hand crank again. But the feeder was still in the air.... "Hmmmmm....."
                    Then I noticed something black laying next the tree. "Hey, that looks like my timer over there!"

Sure enough, there was the timer/motor laying about 6 feet away all broken and beat to hell....and not attached to the barrel! "What the....?"

To say I was confused is an understatement. It didn't make sense. Yeah we've had some issues with squirrels on the barrels, and yes they liked to chew on the barrel lids, but break a timer/motor off the bottom? No way!

These setups also didn't allow much access for raccoons either. About the only thing they could hang off of was the solar panel, and that was still out of reach of the spinner.
                    It just didn't make sense of what had happened.

We ran into Kerrville for another timer/motor setup, some more corn, put everything back together, grabbed the SD card out of the camera, and then headed home. There I would look at the pictures to try and figure out what happened.

That was when I first met "Old Grey!"

So the Comfort lease has always had some "issues" with perimeter fencing of the property and its effectiveness. The original fences were put in sometime back in the 60s I believe and most hasn't been maintained in a number of decades! There are many, many places where deer, hogs, and other animals can get thru the fence and onto (or off) the property. Fixing fencing has been on the To-Do list for years and we get a small section done a little at a time. But there's still a lot left to be done, even now.

So Old Grey and his "crew" liked to spend a lot of their time crossing the fence line. We had seen them on property once in awhile, but mostly they stayed outside of the property lines. We never had an issue with this group until that year. This is what I saw from the game camera...

Name:	fetch?id=23947408.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	26706874

Old Grey was the matriarch of a herd of Catalina goats and this guy had a big pair messing with my feeder! Literally!
                    I will say this - the bottom of that feeder was hung about 6 feet in the air, so that really is kind of impressive that he could stand up that tall and reach it.

I showed the pictures to Kerri that night. Her first question? "Can you hunt those?"

That boy was big and had a long set of horns on his head and a huge beard. He also had a beautiful silver coat on him. Kerri thought he'd make a great shoulder mount!
                    "That's not a bad idea!"

After many conversations with a few select people, I was given the green light to take Old Grey if I could get the crosshairs on him. He was trespassing onto the Comfort property and damaging personal property. And I wanted that goat hanging on my wall!!! Retribution, dam-it!

For months after, he was on my hit-list. But he was always just out of reach or didn't stay put long enough. He and his "crew" even taunted me from time to time...

Name:	ABLVV857j52Iwk-2DVRTPYind6oPFdzy9xOukLsv8Fgti33s8jNDR3IkHRGWfEIXp_FoVvXNgwEzMyyeHm6GQN6Wdq7HGVTZH2Vng3GSUsVsbi9HnOUm7JgB=w2400.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	485.6 KB
ID:	26706875

Throughout that year, I was never able to get that shot opportunity. Maybe if had headed out to the property more, maybe if I had stayed out longer when I was there, maybe, maybe, maybe...."should of, could of, would of."

To this day, I still do not know happened to Old Grey! I wanted him pretty bad and had full permission to get him hung on my wall, just could never close the deal. The goats eventually quit crossing the fence line and we never saw them again.

Not sure if word got out to Old Grey that he had a price on his head and he moved on, or if he just found another deer hunter to torment on another property. I may never know.

But man that boy sure would have looked great on my living room wall!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X