Thoughts on getting a BIG(er) caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
    Only taking really only a bowhunter for the past 20yrs, I've only now really gone after trophy game with a rifle. Killed an Aoudad and now this Nilgai. I was just VERY surprised that we saw zero exit wounds from 125yrds and 105yrds. No blood. Both good heart shots and scrambled the inside of the chest cavity but the lack of any blood coming out and no exit, I was concerned about going after larger African game in 2023 like Kudu, Wildabeast, Zebra- all about the same body weight simply speaking.
    You may want to explore better projectiles rather than a larger caliber. I've shot some ELD-X at various critters and not been happy with the terminal performance. My son shot a Nilgai bull in the neck with a 200gr and he just walked off and gave us a dirty look.

Comment

I'm sure folks have killed Nilgai with smaller calibers but picked their bullets carefully. Would've thought a .300 Win plenty for game that size.
      IMO, I wouldn't really need pass-throughs with successful heart shots.

Like others have said already, I would look at other bullets vs. going through the punishment of larger calibers.

Comment

get an anzio 20mm vulcan ! maybe 48,000ft/lbs will do the job!

Comment

Only taking really only a bowhunter for the past 20yrs, I've only now really gone after trophy game with a rifle. Killed an Aoudad and now this Nilgai. I was just VERY surprised that we saw zero exit wounds from 125yrds and 105yrds. No blood. Both good heart shots and scrambled the inside of the chest cavity but the lack of any blood coming out and no exit, I was concerned about going after larger African game in 2023 like Kudu, Wildabeast, Zebra- all about the same body weight simply speaking.

I do have my grandfather's Winchester .458magnum but at about $300/box, not sure I want to go past it being a family heirloom not to mention the recoil.
          I too shot my nilgai with the exact ammo in a 300 win. Mine blew through. Minimal to no expansion. ELDX sucks. Shoot an accubond. Slay critters around the globe. Be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            I too shot my nilgai with the exact ammo in a 300 win. Mine blew through. Minimal to no expansion. ELDX sucks. Shoot an accubond. Slay critters around the globe. Be happy.
            Those accubonds on large game are lethal pills for sure.

Comment

What about trophy bonded tips?

Comment

Skip the guns and get yourself a 40mm grenade launcher. That should cover everything in North America.

Seriously, I think you got enough gun. But if I were you, I would go 338 Lapua. Mostly because it sounds cool.

Comment

Everyone needs a .375..... but i have a big bore addiction problem. I've got a weatherby vanguard in .375 H&H that is fun to shoot. Also have a savage 116 in .375 ruger. Talk about leavin your mark on a hog.... Been looking at a sako myself, but for a different calibre.

Comment

Like said above, I would switch bullets and not cartridges. Shoot the Nosler Accubond/Partition or Barnes TTSX in 180+ grains and never be under gunned on anything south of dangerous game.

Comment

I agree with the other comments that you weren't undergunned, you just had crummy bullets. I've knocked down several nilgai with a 300 WM shooting 180 grain Barnes TSX and have never worried.

Comment

I'm going to research the bullets ya'll recommended. I think for Africa next year they want accubonds as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
                          What about trophy bonded tips?
                          This, Partitions or Accubonds. I have seen the bonded tip smash elk from 100 yards to 350 yards out of a 300wm and 30-06 both 180gr. If they will kill an elk they will kill anything else. On a side note 4 elk have been shot that I know of with the bonded tip and all 4 had an exit.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm going to research the bullets ya'll recommended. I think for Africa next year they want accubonds as well.
                            Accubond is kind of the standard everything's measured but there's plenty of options. I'm gonna try out the Scirocco II's if I can draw a tag this coming year.

Comment

I shoot Barnes TSX bullets when I go to Africa. PH's love them and when you tell them what you are shooting, they just smile. They also like Swift bullets and how they perform as well.

I will be going back in August for Cape Buffalo and Crocodile. I will be shooting my 375 H&H with hand loaded Barnes 300 gr TSX bullets.

I also shoot Barnes for everything I hunt here in the US as well. Have had nothing but fantastic performance with Barnes bullets.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by WyoBull; 02-01-2022, 07:18 PM.

Comment

375 h & h can be used in Africa. Even if you don’t plan on going now it’s the minimum at certain places. It gives you a lot of versatility

Comment

Working...
                                X