Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get your Colons checked guys...I just dodged a bullet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do they check them?

Comment

I'm 51, no family history of cancer so I was eligible to do the Colorguard (sp?) test. It was a little odd pooping in a bucket and sending it off, but a lot less having to deal with the roto-rooter method and the prep for it. Got the results back about a week later and all clear. Now I'm good for 3 years before needing it again. Either way you decide to do it, swallow your pride (that's why I hadn't done it before now), but it will give you peace of mind. And, if something is found, it's one of the most curable types of cancer if found early enough. Just do it...…….

Comment

Originally posted by mpotts View Post
        i Just turned 50 so guess the Doc and I will take our relationship to the next level
        Me too.

Reminds me of the Rodney Carrington routine... LOL

Comment

Guys, don't take this lightly! Had my dad gone at 50 or before, he'd likely still be here with us today. He went at 52 after things had turned into symptoms that included dull pain in the lower back for a prolonged period. They scoped him, found tumor, said no big deal we'll get this taken care of and the pathology came back. It was a brutal four year battle and he fought it with all he had!

Comment

Yep. Catch it early and live to fight another day.

As for why I went in, to answer that question..... I was feeling drained. Exhausted. Fatigued at almost all times. My bathroom habits changed significantly. Went from one good solid BM after my morning coffee to SEVERAL trips to the bathroom a day, most of which were barely productive. Finally went to my buddy who is my hormone doc and just asked him to pull a blood panel and make sure I was ok. Turns out I was very anemic. Hemoglobin levels were low. Liver enzymes through the roof. He sent me to another doc. More labs. Found cancer markers. Did the contrast CT scan. Found abnormalities in my colon. Did ultrasound to locate them better. Then it was time for the rotor rooter, slash and burn, and biopsies. None of which was fun, but we caught it very early and at the end of the day, I should be fine, so I count myself as super lucky. In the recovery room he showed me a very large....like bigger than my thumb...... tumor that he removed. Literal exact words.."You wouldn't have lived to 50 to get your first colonoscopy. This f***** would have killed you." There were a few smaller growths further up in my colon that we are waiting on the results on before he decides whether to treat them with traditional cancer stuff or slash and burn, but either way, we caught it early, and I get to hang out and **** off my kids more for a while. Long story short...if you don't feel right, GET CHECKED. If you are 40 or older, GET CHECKED ANYWAY.

Comment

eat more fiber. drink a metamucil type fiber supplement everyday.

Comment

Right on. It ain't no big deal, just go have it done.

Did my first one at 38. Lucky for me, I just had ulcers.

I work with several guys from 50 to 60 years old that have never been checked out. It's just ridiculous not too with the insurance we have.

I will admit my outlook has been changed since I met my wife. She is a director of a medical facility and lines me out on this stuff.

Comment

Yep. Don't wait til your 50. I got diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer at 39. Glad you went in early!

Comment

Originally posted by mpotts View Post
                    i Just turned 50 so guess the Doc and I will take our relationship to the next level
                    You won’t even know it happened except for the prep. I’ve had three and I’d rather have the colonoscopy than have a dentist in my mouth for an hour or two.

Comment

Glad to hear. I’m curious how insurance views this. Do you have to get pre-approval prior to the procedure especially if it’s before the recommended age?

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                        Glad to hear. I’m curious how insurance views this. Do you have to get pre-approval prior to the procedure especially if it’s before the recommended age?

Talk to your regular Dr about it & start researching who is recommended...he would need to give a referral for the Ins reasons I think.

Stool sample dr. made me do is what actually jump started my case.

Comment

I went at 50 had 1 polyps doc said see you in 5 years. I said lets do three he said ok. To me the worst part is not eating for 24 hours.

Comment

I just found out high school buddy is stage 4 colon cancer . He is 41.i need to get checked .

Comment

The procedure and prep is nothing.. Don't fall for all the stories..

Comment

Lost my grandpa at 53. Dad had polyps removed at his first check at 29. I need to start looking into it...

Comment

Working...
                                X