The old way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The old way

My wife's family has a rich family history that dates way back to descendants of Stephen F. Austin. Many of her family is buried at a small cemetery in Jones Ceeek, in Brazoria county. This is the same cemetery that Stepehen F. Austin was originally buried in before he was moved to Austin in 1910.

We recently received the news of the untimely passing of her uncle in a car accident. He was only in his late 50s and was the family historian in a lot of ways. Kind of hard to get to know but a really neat guy once he decided he liked you. He will leave a large void.

When her family met me and found out that I am a carpenter they asked me at dinner one evening if I had ever built a casket....they were serious. It turns out that many of their family members are buried in home built caskets. This is the 2nd time I have been privileged to build them one. Per his wishes, his son and I bought cedar from McCoy's amd built him a simple casket. No trim, no moulding, don't spend a dime more than you have to. So we went to Mcoy's and I helped him build his dad's casket in our shop over a few evenings. Saturday we go to Jones Creek.

He and his father had built his grandpas coffin in their garage out of a few sheets of plywood. It looked like a shipping crate. Grandpa was strictly business and an engineer by trade. A year later when his grandma died we made her a beautiful cedar casket with a cross on top and nice raised panels. It still didn't do her justice, such a sweet lady.

Anyway, not sure where I am going with this. Life is short, and time goes by quicker every day. guess it made me wonder who is gonna build mine? I have seen some fancy caskets that are just works of art, you could park a small car in them. I think personally I am a bit partial to a simple cedar or pine box. Rough around the edges is just fine sometimes.
    Attached Files

Interesting......in a weird sorta way. If it is family tradition why not.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting.

Comment

It is definitely not normal, but what is normal nowadays?
        Someone used to have to dig the hole and everything.

Comment

Nothin wrong with that

Comment

Whiskey Myers Bury My Bones comes to mind.

Comment

Seems pretty honorable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think its a cool idea.. I like it..
                I wonder if I knew her uncle. I'm a lifelong resident of Brazoria county and I'm in my 50's too. Hmm.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  Nothin wrong with that
                  Pretty cool...………….

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
                    It is definitely not normal, but what is normal nowadays?
                    Someone used to have to dig the hole and everything.
                    We still do for my mothers side of the family. It’s the last thing we can do for them, and allows everyone to share stories of the deceased as we dig. The elders usually take off the top foot or so, then us middle aged guys handle the next 3-4 feet, and the young folks get to deal with the clay and climbing in and out of the hole. I’m sure once my parents generation is gone, that tradition will cease.

Comment

A guy in the Llano area that my wife and I know built the coffin for his best friend. Had a beveled pamel lid.
                      My mom was also buried in a hand made wooden coffin, but we ordered it from the maker. Not a friend or family member.

Comment

No handles to carry it? I like the idea of building one. I'm not a carpenter though. I'm afraid mine would fall apart decide it reached the gravesite

Comment

I think it’s pretty neat tradition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            No handles to carry it? I like the idea of building one. I'm not a carpenter though. I'm afraid mine would fall apart decide it reached the gravesite
                            It has to go inside of a concrete liner, so we made a separate carrying rack that it sits down in.

Comment

I like it. My neighbor funeral was yesterday and he built his own coffin years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X