No announcement yet.

Atascosa 2019!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel your pain flyguyy. I’ve had 5 within 60 yds and haven’t got a shot off yet. Had two cows working toward me an hour ago and the wind swirled on me.

Comment

Found mama bedded!!!! 80 yards. 1 hour left!

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
        Found mama bedded!!!! 80 yards. 1 hour left!
        You got that. It'll be a cake walk. Good Luck

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

OMG that was so close!!! Stalked around in a semi circle into 31 yards but they were on their feet and no shot. They were gradually feeding towards me so I just stood still, but I am pinned down. I was caught in the bright sun and could move a muscle to range anything.

Suddenly the calf came in way too close and stopped to look at me at less than 5 yards!!! Man I wish I had a go-pro! I was keeping my hat brim down to hide my eyes but I suddenly notice the little sucker is leaning it’s head way down to the ground to look under my hat at my face! He sees my eyes and bolts. Now mama is on full alert but she thankfully takes a different route and I’m thinking this is going to happen! She passes behind cover and I grab 2 quick ranges on where she is going to come out, but her head starts to clear as I reach for my release and she catches it - gone pecan in a millisecond!! Ouch!!! Worked hard for that opportunity. So excited and so disappointed at the same time.

Still, was exciting to the end. I have so much respect for these critters. I’ve got about 6 miles to hike out of here so I better get moving. I’ll be back in 3 weeks tho to take my revenge!

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
            OMG that was so close!!! Stalked around in a semi circle into 31 yards but they were on their feet and no shot. They were gradually feeding towards me so I just stood still, but I am pinned down. I was caught in the bright sun and could move a muscle to range anything.

Suddenly the calf came in way too close and stopped to look at me at less than 5 yards!!! Man I wish I had a go-pro! I was keeping my hat brim down to hide my eyes but I suddenly notice the little sucker is leaning it’s head way down to the ground to look under my hat at my face! He sees my eyes and bolts. Now mama is on full alert but she thankfully takes a different route and I’m thinking this is going to happen! She passes behind cover and I grab 2 quick ranges on where she is going to come out, but her head starts to clear as I reach for my release and she catches it - gone pecan in a millisecond!! Ouch!!! Worked hard for that opportunity. So excited and so disappointed at the same time.

Still, was exciting to the end. I have so much respect for these critters. I’ve got about 6 miles to hike out of here so I better get moving. I’ll be back in 3 weeks tho to take my revenge!
            Man your getting me excited for my hunt later this week. Out of curiosity how much water were you carrying going that far in? I know most of the water is brackish and I'm a Fatty and suck it down. Normally not a big deal can just filter it if back pack hunting out west or in east texas but supposed to be low 80ish this hunt covering that kinda distance I'm bringing 3 liters but started thinking pack outs and what not debated on an extra 2 tucked on my bike. I'm a Nerd, sorry first time there and over analyzing. I live on the coast SETX in 100% humidity year round just about in same temps just never cover that kinda distance hunting without being able to find water lol.

Comment

Originally posted by jronning77 View Post
              Man your getting me excited for my hunt later this week. Out of curiosity how much water were you carrying going that far in? I know most of the water is brackish and I'm a Fatty and suck it down. Normally not a big deal can just filter it if back pack hunting out west or in east texas but supposed to be low 80ish this hunt covering that kinda distance I'm bringing 3 liters but started thinking pack outs and what not debated on an extra 2 tucked on my bike. I'm a Nerd, sorry first time there and over analyzing. I live on the coast SETX in 100% humidity year round just about in same temps just never cover that kinda distance hunting without being able to find water lol.

That’s actually a good question. I drink a ridiculous amount of water everyday so I was also concerned. I never tried to filter/UV treat water out there btw for the same concerns over what was fresh vs brackish. Our temps were fairly mild, highs of 78, which helped. I packed in 3 liters each day and that worked perfectly for me. I could tell I was pretty dehydrated each afternoon but it was manageable, and a reasonable balance of pack weight. I would suck down Gatorade’s and such back at the truck. If you are bringing a bike then sure, throw a couple more on there it can’t hurt.

Comment

Find an ambush point and carry a gallon of water in and sit all day. Bring what you need and sit still. Im about to be at East Lake and once I have where Im going to hunt picked out I will sit it out. You don't get many chances walking around. sure you will see critters but chances of filling the ice chest are way down. Kid killed 2 nilgai last year and we set another kid up and she killed one. All 3 were killed sitting in one spot and let them come. Most proficient killers in nature use his approach as well.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                  Find an ambush point and carry a gallon of water in and sit all day. Bring what you need and sit still. Im about to be at East Lake and once I have where Im going to hunt picked out I will sit it out. You don't get many chances walking around. sure you will see critters but chances of filling the ice chest are way down. Kid killed 2 nilgai last year and we set another kid up and she killed one. All 3 were killed sitting in one spot and let them come. Most proficient killers in nature use his approach as well.
                  East lake with rifle?

Comment

Bring more water than you would think you need.

I ran through 3 liters in 2017 and was really dehydrated at the end of the day, it didn't help that it was 90 degrees in December and I had to share with a filthy Greek who didn't think he needed to bring water. lol

Comment

muzzleloader

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                        Bring more water than you would think you need.

I ran through 3 liters in 2017 and was really dehydrated at the end of the day, it didn't help that it was 90 degrees in December and I had to share with a filthy Greek who didn't think he needed to bring water. lol
                        Wall Mart sells the Life Straw for $12. Stop and pick one up. There is water everywhere. I go in 2 miles. I sit till my as_ hurts to much then I go to lunch, back out two miles. I take 2 bottled waters each time I go out.
                        Everyone is different, but if you walk around all day, get the lifestraw.

Nilgai will graze sometimes consistently in the same areas unless they are busted out. So don't try to sneak up on one wearing orange, they have awesome eyesight. Instead, mark their location and set up there early to catch them when they come out. They catch any motion, so move very slow when one is in your sights.
                        Good luck.

Comment

Did anyone get a pic of the board the last night? We hunted hard to the end and came up empty handed. Several close encounters but couldn’t seal the deal.

Comment

Me and the boys had a great trip this past week but didn't get it done. Flyguyy and BPA it was good meeting you out there - I was the one foolish enough to bring my two boys deep into the refuge every day. Lots of miles especially in crisco mud in places. The logistics of moving our group in and out every day was pretty exhausting.

We learned a lot and had some opportunities on Nilgai. I agree that their eyesight can't be underestimated. I had my sons posted up on an escape route from a bedding area while i was off following trails and sure enough two cows, two bulls, and calf came out at 150 yards across the cayo (that's what we were calling the low clearing areas, may not be the right word) from where the boys were set up. Cows came out first and immediately picked them up, stared at them, and then made a hard turn back around from where they came rather than following the trail into a barrage of crossbow fire. On the ride home last night it slipped out that the younger boy had actually moved and was kneeling behind a bush and whispering to the older when the animals popped out! He ducked but too late. Oh well I guess you get what you pay for with a free youth permit...

For my part, I came upon a spike munching a prickly pear at 40 yds and for some reason didn't shoot it. At the time we were hot after Nilgai so maybe i wasn't able to mentally switch gears for something that's not a shooter in other circumstances? I can't quite explain it. A screw up and in direct contradiction to my stated hunt plan of "brown is down".

What we didn't have was encounters with relatively stationary, feeding Nilgai like Flyguy - loved reading your live stories btw, so much better than these post-hunt recaps - they were always on the move when we saw them, after having been bumped by us or someone else. We only glassed up one cow out in the open, and that was off on private way to the west. Probably need to spend more time glassing next time.

We'll be back! thanks for reading, and thanks to those who've posted information on this thread that has been so helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by gglover View Post
                              Did anyone get a pic of the board the last night? We hunted hard to the end and came up empty handed. Several close encounters but couldn’t seal the deal.
                              We checked it late afternoon yesterday on the way out but I was too tired to get out of the car for a picture.

Comment

Hunted there for years as it was my backyard up until 6 years ago. I had a fairly large Eberlestock backpack that I would pack with only the basics. Most important thing was water. I carried bottled water and one army surplus 2 quart collapsible plastic canteen (see link). After several years I stopped carrying the canteen and went with only bottled water. I never recall being in danger of running out of water. Aside from water I carried, permit, TP, hand held GPS, knife, flashlight, extra batteries, band aides, para-cord, zip ties and lunch (sandwich/chips/ fruit).

I never really understood walking/biking in and then returning back to your vehicle to have lunch. We would always stay out all day. We would meet at a designated area along one of the large senderos to have lunch. Lunch may be 30 min or an hour. We would compare notes then get back in the brush. Going back to your truck to eat just doubles the miles you put in.

Comment

Working...
                                X