Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-02-2019, 09:29 PM   #1
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties
Default Sales Tax on Internet Out of State Purchases

The tax man is going to get some more of your money. Lots of internet based companies are now charging sales tax even on out of state purchases. Ebay started and the rest will probably follow suit. This taxing crap never ends.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #2
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Why are they doing this? Are they now required too?
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 09:31 PM   #3
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

Last stuff I bought on Amazon did not have tax on it
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #4
Radar
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Why are they doing this? Are they now required too?
I would guess states are missing out on lots of revenue from online purchases that do not collect state sales tax.

Just think how many more illegals Texas can take care of if that money was collected from online purchases
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 09:39 PM   #5
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

You got something formal going into action?? This would HIGHLY affect my online consignment sales:

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...Sellers=154786

I bet less than 10% of my online consignments are purchased from TX...that is how tight the market is. Shipping & tax considerations are huge for people. The state of TX asked me to file my sales tax 1x per year due to my business model. If I have to charge sales tax for every online purchase due to state lines not being an issue, the game is going to change & I have not heard anything.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 09:42 PM   #6
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

What are the parameters for this?
I thought I read it was going into effect in September and remember reading a sponsor say something about it also.

Main reason I shop online/ have a amazon account is 1) Convenient 2) Avoiding sales taxes on majority of items
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 09:50 PM   #7
M16
Pope & Young

Here you go. Out of state sellers have to charge sales tax effective October 1, 2019.

https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/sales//

Out of State Sellers: Register Now!

Remote sellers are required to begin sales and use tax collections on Oct. 1, 2019. You should:

Read about the tax responsibilities for remote sellers.
Register for a Texas sales and use tax permit. (This is easy to do online with Webfile.)
Verify your sales and use tax permit status.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:52 PM   #8
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Over yonder

What a crock of crap!
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #9
friscopaint
Ten Point

That will be impossible to police
friscopaint is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #10
Radar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
What are the parameters for this?
I thought I read it was going into effect in September and remember reading a sponsor say something about it also.

Main reason I shop online/ have a amazon account is 1) Convenient 2) Avoiding sales taxes on majority of items
What I understand is the Supreme Court last year said the individual states can require sales tax to be collected from online sales.

I would make an assumption that Texas has no state income tax and relies heavily on sales tax collections, so there is a motive. Reckon you could do a search on the internet and find a much better answer than what my redneck azz just said

Last edited by Radar; 10-02-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:55 PM   #11
MetalMan2004
Eight Point

Wonder how quickly other states will do the same.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #12
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
You got something formal going into action?? This would HIGHLY affect my online consignment sales:

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...Sellers=154786

I bet less than 10% of my online consignments are purchased from TX...that is how tight the market is. Shipping & tax considerations are huge for people. The state of TX asked me to file my sales tax 1x per year due to my business model. If I have to charge sales tax for every online purchase due to state lines not being an issue, the game is going to change & I have not heard anything.
It shouldn't affect you as this is for companies outside the state of Texas. They now have to charge sales tax for items shipped into the state. Other states are doing the same thing so you may need to register with the 49 other states and start collecting taxes for items you sell out of state.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:59 PM   #13
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
That will be impossible to police
Yes it will. Lot's of people will charge the tax and pocket the money. What are they gonna do about it?
Old 10-02-2019, 09:59 PM   #14
Txtourist
Four Point

Hunt In: MN, SD,TX

Sales and use tax have been a huge cash grab here in Minnesota for years. Before we had Amazon fulfillment here everyone loved the additional savings, then the tax man figured out it was a good opener for sales and use tax audits. Gotta feed the hungry machine.
Txtourist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 10:08 PM   #15
Dejashoot
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Brackettville and Brazoria

I bought a couple higher dollar items online this weekend before the tax got applied on the 1st.
Dejashoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 10:10 PM   #16
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Supposed to pay use tax on purchases from out of state already. That means all the stuff we bought on amazon, ebay etc from out of state, we are all supposed to have been paying use tax unless the seller collected sales tax for Texas
miket is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 10:11 PM   #17
Radar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Yes it will. Lot's of people will charge the tax and pocket the money. What are they gonna do about it?
I pay my sales tax collections monthly, what I collect in sales tax plus local tax must be sent in by the 20th of each month. The state drafts the money out of my business checking account after I fill out an online statement. I just did it tonight for what I collected last month.

Last year the state of Texas sent me an email, in redneck terms it said that if I committed fraud with sales tax collections that I would be given amnesty if I made it right and promised not to do it again.

The whole sales tax collection system in Texas is based on "Good Faith". I can assure you that there are POS out there that have scammed a lot folks on sales tax collections. In other other words they collect it and keep it, so basically you paid an additional 8.25% profit margin to the seller.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:14 PM   #18
softpoint
Eight Point

Hunt In: anywhere I'm allowed

Government greed knows no bounds.
softpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 10:33 PM   #19
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

I don't like taxes any more than the next guy. I see both sides. Ask someone like our awesome forum sponsor Outdoor Legacy what it's like trying to sell a $5,000 thermal scope to a guy in Texas who can get it online from California with no sales tax. That stings.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #20
Roger_Roger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson Co.

They got me yesterday on Ebay for scope...added tax. Texas started 10/1/19 don't know how they are going to police this but they, ebay, is going to get the sales tax money so maybe they will do the right thing. Not a happy camper when I saw it on my PP.
Roger_Roger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #21
miket
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
I don't like taxes any more than the next guy. I see both sides. Ask someone like our awesome forum sponsor Outdoor Legacy what it's like trying to sell a $5,000 thermal scope to a guy in Texas who can get it online from California with no sales tax. That stings.
Excellent point, I buy tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff for my business off of eBay every year. I am tax exempt but of course you have to provide a certificate, there is no way I am going to provide a certificate to all the various sellers on eBay. Looks like I will have to bring my business back to the local vendors here.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #22
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

I have been paying sales tax online for everything for a while now. Amazon started many months ago, I bought rims and tires from TireRack and paid tax on those in April, and my Stone Glacier (Montana) pack I bought two years ago had tax applied. Why should an online retailer have a competitive advantage over a brick and mortar store?
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #23
BigCohiba
Eight Point

Hunt In: Angelina County

On Amazon, it seems like some items have had tax charged for a while now. Other items not. It's been a mixed bag...
BigCohiba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #24
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: My dreams this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
The whole sales tax collection system in Texas is based on "Good Faith". I can assure you that there are POS out there that have scammed a lot folks on sales tax collections. In other other words they collect it and keep it, so basically you paid an additional 8.25% profit margin to the seller.
It is 'good faith' the same way income tax payment is. The Comptroller can (and does) audit folks and when they decide to do that (randomly or for some suspicion), they will turn things inside out to find issues - sales on which sales tax wasn't collected and should have been (so keep all exemption certificates organized) or 'sales tax' collected and not submitted to proper authorities.
Our business has been audited twice in a 20 year period. Nothing found either time, but it took days and days of manpower providing them access/copies/etc.
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #25
friscopaint
Ten Point

I can't imagine an online shop in Colorado worried to much about what the Texas comptroller wants....and then what nightmare of every state decides to then they have keep 49 extra files for those states tax rates and taxes......
friscopaint is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #26
miket
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
I have been paying sales tax online for everything for a while now. Amazon started many months ago, I bought rims and tires from TireRack and paid tax on those in April, and my Stone Glacier (Montana) pack I bought two years ago had tax applied. Why should an online retailer have a competitive advantage over a brick and mortar store?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCohiba View Post
On Amazon, it seems like some items have had tax charged for a while now. Other items not. It's been a mixed bag...
If the seller has a location in Texas they have already been required to collect sales tax.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:51 PM   #27
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
Excellent point, I buy tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff for my business off of eBay every year. I am tax exempt but of course you have to provide a certificate, there is no way I am going to provide a certificate to all the various sellers on eBay. Looks like I will have to bring my business back to the local vendors here.
All you have to do is send one exemption to eBay for all their vendors.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #28
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCohiba View Post

It has for a pretty good while ......Amazon has distributorships/fulfillment centers//warehouses in Texas so it has to charge sales tax on items coming from those places. There are some instance where items are shipped directly from the seller from out of state where taxes are not collected. Sounds like that is about to change as well.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2019, 03:29 PM   #29
miket
Pope & Young

Quote:
All you have to do is send one exemption to eBay for all their vendors.
Holy cow, did not know that. Makes sense. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #30
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
Holy cow, did not know that. Makes sense. Thanks.
Check your eBay messages. They’ve been sending them out for the last month or more. You do read those messages don’t you?
Old 10-03-2019, 05:19 PM   #31
miket
Pope & Young

Quote:
Check your eBay messages. They’ve been sending them out for the last month or more. You do read those messages don’t you?
Old 10-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #32
ArcherAG 93
Ten Point

eBay got me also. I bought a rangefinder and had two separate PayPal charges....one to the seller and another charge from eBay for sales tax. Guess I should read the messages they send.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ArcherAG 93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top