Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 08-14-2018, 07:35 PM   #1
GoBears870
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere free
Default Is 1.5Ē @ 100 accurate enough?

I have a Ruger M77 Mark II in .270 that I love and has lots of sentimental value. The best I can do with it is 1.5Ē 5-shot groups at 100 yards using 130gr Fusion and Core Lokt. Iíve tried premium loads and nothing works better. As far as Iím concerned thatís good enough for hunting over feeders in Texas, but I want to hunt the West going forward, and anticipate needing to get proficient to 300-400.

Is it possible for a gunsmith to do enough accurizing work to make this rifle sing? Or if I want to hunt elk and mulies in CO and NM, should I just spring for a dedicated rifle for that?
GoBears870 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
WTucker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Votaw, Anywhere else I can.

Do you have any friends/family that hand load? If so, get with them and try to work up a load that the rifle likes better.

As far as accurizing it, I have never really messed with one of those but have heard they are a pain to bed the action due to the angled screw. You can also try free floating the barrel if it is not already.
WTucker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 07:44 PM   #3
Hammerdown15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Warren, Tx

I sounds like youíve got a good 100-200 yard gun. Youíre shooting 1.5 MOA which will open your groups up to 6 inches at 400. Thatís assuming no human error is introduced. I donít think I could shoot 1.5 MOA at 400 with any rifle so to have a rifle that is already there leaves a little too much room for error for me. You may be a better shooter and 6Ē would be within the threshold of a medium body animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hammerdown15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
SOLID EAGLE
Ten Point

Hunt In: Medina County

Has it been cleaned? It could be copper fouling that is the problem.
SOLID EAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 07:59 PM   #5
Low Fence
Pope & Young

I have exact same gun and caliber. It was a 2” at best gun. Had the horrific factory trigger cleaned up and that has it with most factory loads shooting 1”- 1 1/2”.
Mine actually likes the cheap Winchester super x stuff best. It will always shoot 1” or less off bags

It will shoot minute of pig within my lethal range
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 08:06 PM   #6
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, ,Menard Counties

I’ll let you in on a little secret. Sight the gun in where the aiming point (crosshairs) are at the center of the five shot group. Now you are hitting with .75 inch of your aiming point. Plenty good enough to take game out to 500 yards.

It wasn’t that long ago that an 1.5 inch group was perfectly acceptable. It still is. Not everybody has the skill or weapon to put all the bullets in one hole. Internet snipers excepted. Practice, practice, practice.

Last edited by M16; 08-14-2018 at 08:09 PM.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #7
GoBears870
Four Point

I’ve considered using this as an excuse to get into reloading myself. Just not sure if the juice would be worth the squeeze. It would be a big investment.

I run copper solvent about every 3 boxes now, but didn’t know much about that early in the rifle’s life
Old 08-14-2018, 08:15 PM   #8
GoBears870
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post
Iíll let you in on a little secret. Sight the gun in where the aiming point (crosshairs) are at the center of the five shot group. Now you are hitting with .75 inch of your aiming point. Plenty good enough to take game out to 500 yards.
Whoa.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:23 PM   #9
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

In all reality it’s plenty accurate for lung/heart shots. If you were taking head shots I would like a more accurate gun but most people double lung them.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #10
bigchiefj
Six Point

Depending on your rest, 1.5" groups at 100 yards could be impressive. I would think you rifle is fine for hunting out west.
bigchiefj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #11
GoBears870
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchiefj View Post
Depending on your rest, 1.5" groups at 100 yards could be impressive. I would think you rifle is fine for hunting out west.
Thatís the thing - this is on a lead sled. On a bag itís just outside 1.5Ē
Old 08-14-2018, 08:39 PM   #12
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

1.5 moa at 100 yards could get better or worse at 300 and 400 yards, you just don't know till you go shoot it at those ranges. And I definitely don't recommend shooting at an animal at a distance past where you have practiced / verified where your gun shoots at that range.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #13
texag93
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panhandle

Rugers M77 are hit and miss on .5 MOA accuracy. Are you capable of shooting less than 1” groups? Your rest has a lot to do with it. Long story short, a guy with a custom rifle at the range was shooting 1.5” groups off his rest...I told him try mine. He shot a 3/4” group at 200yds. There’s a lot that goes into a tiny group. Rifle, ammo, rest, shooter, skill and a little luck some times. 1.5” groups at 100yds is more than capable of vital zone hits at 300yds so yes it’s accurate enough for hunting at moderate ranges.
texag93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 08:44 PM   #14
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Did anyone mention 6.5 creedmoore
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #15
SL1
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

I have the ruger 270 with the boat paddle stock. I got it shooting to 5/8 inch at 100 by tightening the angle screw then backing it off a bit at a time until I hit the spot it shot best. That was with the federal fusion ammo. I saw a video on it but I can't find it now. Maybe u tube.
SL1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 09:17 PM   #16
RS3
Ten Point

What will you be hunting? Deer and elk or fleas and ticks? I don’t shoot a rifle much but I don’t need to put 5 shots in the same hole to kill deer and elk.
RS3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #17
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

1.5” is more than good enough. Elk are big.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #18
trophyhunter01
Eight Point

Hunt In: Walker County on the river

Got a M77 270 it likes 140 grain loads, timmney trigger and believe it or not the barrel donut thing. Still at best a 1" group gun. Hunt with that thing it works.
trophyhunter01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 09:31 PM   #19
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

Personally, I wouldn’t feel comfortable with a 1.5” group at 100 and then shooting it 300-400 yards. I don’t have any gunsmith tricks or recommendations, other than I would consider a different gun for the longer ranges
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2018, 09:41 PM   #20
GoBears870
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
I would if I was serious about shooting beyond 500, but for realistic hunting distances (for me) Iíd like to stick with what I have
Old 08-14-2018, 11:48 PM   #21
KLWoodall
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill, Navarro, Panola

Check torque of screws holding stock to action. The angled needs really tight, the others just tight enough to not fall out. That worked on mine. Several good articles out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KLWoodall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 12:39 AM   #22
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Get rid of that P O S Lead Sled and use sandbags. Best thing I ever did for zeroing my rifles.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 12:54 AM   #23
cbd10pt
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for new places

Check the barrel for contact with the stock. They will usually do a 1" group. I've owned several
cbd10pt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 01:36 AM   #24
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb/Jim Hogg

You would be amazed at how much more accurate your rifle will be by just changing out the factory trigger. If anything I would start there.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 02:31 AM   #25
CWendling
Eight Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

Try shooting it at 300yds and see. Ive had more than one rifle that shot a load at 2-300yds that wasnt its best 100yd load
CWendling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 06:55 AM   #26
Sidro
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

Here is some info, be advised this is inch lbs and not ft lbs. Ruger customer service will also give this info and it does work. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...7_torque_specs
Sidro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 07:34 AM   #27
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Is 1.5" @100yds "good enough"?

Yes all day long

Is 1.5 MOA good enough?

Depends on how far you are shooting. The further you stretch it out, the more likely you are to wound or miss
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 11:25 AM   #28
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

You need to shoot it at the distance your planning on hunting at. If your planning on shooting an animal at 400 yards you gotta get out there a drop boxes of ammo at 400 to see what it does. 5-600 even better.
Kinda like a bow. Practicing at 40 makes those 20 yards shots that much easier. I shoot out to 600 off bags or bipod and can hit vitals but Im not comfortable enough to that with an animal. My deer stand isn't set up like a shooting range. See what you can accurately shoot repeatedly and at what distance in a real life situation not sand bags, lead sled etc take your sticks or a front rest only without a rear etc. However you will be shooting and let that be your deciding factor for distance. At least that's what I do and it's worked so far
SCREAMINREELS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 11:49 AM   #29
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Is it accurate enough to hunt with?
In just about all Texas hunting scenarios, YES.

is it accurate enough for elk out to 2-300 yards?
Yes, elk vitals are much larger than whitetail, but you should be ready to make a quick follow up shot just in case with lighter bullets than some preferred larger calibers, even though a .270 is plenty for all North American game.

Ways to improve accuracy?
It could be a ton of things that could be hindering getting the most out of your rifle. From your rest, to optics, to not right amount of torque on screws, head spacing, barrel touching stock, your rifle liking certain bullets better, the powder you are shooting, practicing more, etc.

Last year I shot a mulie at 647 yards with my 7mm that I had never shot past 500 yards. I know I’ll get flack for making that choice but I was comfortable and confident in my set up. I have experience shooting at those distances and know the gun so there was no doubt in my mind I could easily put one through both lungs. I think if your confident and know your capabilities/rifle that gun will do exactly what you want it to do.
diamond10x is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #30
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.

Sell it. Contact me.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #31
wdtorque
Eight Point

Default Good to Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLID EAGLE View Post
Has it been cleaned? It could be copper fouling that is the problem.
I had a 308 that wasn't grouping, thought it was ammo. Good cleaning with a foaming agent, Magic Lube or Wipe Out (?) and back to 1".

But I agree with most posts, 1.5" good enough.
wdtorque is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 12:43 PM   #32
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

Is the barrel free floating to the lug? Does it make contact with the stock when you shoot assuming you put downward pressure on the scope? I've heard that some old rifles reportedly had factory applied pressure to the barrel. Have you tried a different scope? Are the rings and bases torqued down properly? Have you really cleaned the barrel? Copper fouling will cause groups to open up. Can you adjust your trigger down below 2#? If not, consider a Timney or similar. If all those things check out and it only shoot 1.5" with a variety of factory loads, and you want to keep it and use it, then I would sell it or rebarel it.

Good luck.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #33
GoBears870
Four Point

Lots of great pointers here - thanks

The barrel is not free floated - Ruger designed the front several inches of the stock to contact it but I'm not sure of the reason for this. I'm considering removing some of that material to free float it. If I screw it up, the replacement Hogue stock isn't that much money. A trigger would probably go a long way as well.

I have run two scopes on it over the years and neither seemed to shoot better than the other, but I have never had a high end optic on it. Everything has been torqued to spec with a Wheeler FAT wrench.

I'm betting fouling is a big issue here. I run patches of Hoppe's between boxes and copper solvent & brush every few boxes. But after shooting yesterday (which prompted my original post) I went after it harder than normal late last night. Every time I ran a brush through it, more fouling was loosened up. I would run solvent patches until they were clean, run the brush, and patches came out black again. This went on for probably 8 different cycles until I dried everything and quit for the night. I thought about taking it to a smith to complete the job but was quoted $100 for it this morning.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:49 PM   #34
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBears870 View Post
Lots of great pointers here - thanks

The barrel is not free floated - Ruger designed the front several inches of the stock to contact it but I'm not sure of the reason for this. I'm considering removing some of that material to free float it. If I screw it up, the replacement Hogue stock isn't that much money. A trigger would probably go a long way as well.

I have run two scopes on it over the years and neither seemed to shoot better than the other, but I have never had a high end optic on it. Everything has been torqued to spec with a Wheeler FAT wrench.

I'm betting fouling is a big issue here. I run patches of Hoppe's between boxes and copper solvent & brush every few boxes. But after shooting yesterday (which prompted my original post) I went after it harder than normal late last night. Every time I ran a brush through it, more fouling was loosened up. I would run solvent patches until they were clean, run the brush, and patches came out black again. This went on for probably 8 different cycles until I dried everything and quit for the night. I thought about taking it to a smith to complete the job but was quoted $100 for it this morning.
Do not buy the hogue and expect an improvement. Very flimsy stocks. Not quality. Run iosso after you remove all copper build up. Itíll remove all carbon fouling. Itíll take it to near new. Rugers arenít known for accuracy. General have a very big freebore. I would try an accubond type Bullet or nosler partition. Iíve had a bunch of rugers. Most didnít shoot well. My 300 likes the Barnes vortx bullets quite a bit. .5Ē at 100. That 1.5Ē is good enough to kill animals. But Iíd try like heck to cut that in half to shoot at 400+.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 08:02 PM   #35
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

I vote with copper cleaning and Trigger..both mentiond already...Its aleady within my limits...
cva34 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-15-2018, 11:10 PM   #36
Vulcanman
Ten Point

Try Dallas Reloads. I bet they can work up a load for you that may tighten that up.
Vulcanman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #37
ren087
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva34 View Post
i vote with copper cleaning and trigger..both mentiond already...its aleady within my limits...
this^^^^
ren087 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #38
GoBears870
Four Point

More cleaning last night - same results. I have been using Hoppe's powder solvent, brass brush, Hoppe's copper remover, Gun Scrubber, powder solvent again till clean, then dry patch, in that order. When I repeat the process, I get dirty patches again after running the brush. I bought and used Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner yesterday - still got dirty patches after using it then running the same process before. So it appears I have a lot of layers of baked-on fouling. Any recs for new products to try?
Old 08-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #39
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Sweets 7.62
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 02:58 PM   #40
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
Sweets 7.62

^^^^This and JB Bore paste is all I use any more. I've tried the Wipe Out with the accelerator and I still get dirty patches when I go back with 7.62 and JB.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #41
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
probably not because he did not ask about it, he asked about accuracy from his existing rifle
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 03:55 PM   #42
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBears870 View Post
More cleaning last night - same results. I have been using Hoppe's powder solvent, brass brush, Hoppe's copper remover, Gun Scrubber, powder solvent again till clean, then dry patch, in that order. When I repeat the process, I get dirty patches again after running the brush. I bought and used Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner yesterday - still got dirty patches after using it then running the same process before. So it appears I have a lot of layers of baked-on fouling. Any recs for new products to try?
Iosso....
Old 08-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #43
jefandaward
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hiawatha National Forest

Quote:
Ha!
jefandaward is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #44
Honeybadger1
Nubbin' Buck

I would say no but it depends on what your goal is. If you are just Texas Feeder hunting and won't shoot past 100 yards you will be fine but if you are planning on shooting at 200 or further than I would at least get under MOA. If you are 1.5 inches off at 100 then 200-300 you will be a lot further off.
Honeybadger1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #45
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Only takes about $750 to make a Ruger shoot well.

Have a barrel put on it.
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #46
M16
Pope & Young

Here's something that people have a hard time understanding. Most people smile when sighting in their gun and they hit the bullseye. They dance a jig and call it good. You can increase your hit probability by not doing this.

Target #2 has a direct hit in the bullseye. This is an 1 1/2 group. I did four just to make it simple. The higher and lower impacts are 1 inch from the bullseye. The far left is 1 1/2 inches from the bullseye. So at the most you are 1 1/2 inches from your point of aim.

Now let go to target #1. No shot in the bullseye but no sweat. The gun is sighted in correctly. Why you ask? Because the point of aim is in the center of the group that the gun is capable of shooting. The group is 1 1/2 inches. All four shots are within 3/4 inch of your aiming point. Congratulations! You just turned your rifle that shoots 1 1/2 inch groups to one that will hit within 3/4 inch of your aiming point.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #47
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Here's something that people have a hard time understanding. Most people smile when sighting in their gun and they hit the bullseye. They dance a jig and call it good. You can increase your hit probability by not doing this.

Target #2 has a direct hit in the bullseye. This is an 1 1/2 group. I did four just to make it simple. The higher and lower impacts are 1 inch from the bullseye. The far left is 1 1/2 inches from the bullseye. So at the most you are 1 1/2 inches from your point of aim.

Now let go to target #1. No shot in the bullseye but no sweat. The gun is sighted in correctly. Why you ask? Because the point of aim is in the center of the group that the gun is capable of shooting. The group is 1 1/2 inches. All four shots are within 3/4 inch of your aiming point. Congratulations! You just turned your rifle that shoots 1 1/2 inch groups to one that will hit within 3/4 inch of your aiming point.

Great news. The next one I get that shoots that way Iíll sell it to you haha
Old 08-16-2018, 07:46 PM   #48
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Great news. The next one I get that shoots that way Iíll sell it to you haha
Long as it's cheap. I got mad hunting skills. I don't have to rely on fancy smancy equipment.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:33 PM   #49
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Long as it's cheap. I got mad hunting skills. I don't have to rely on fancy smancy equipment.
Iíve seen what you post
Old 08-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #50
4dog
Ten Point

Hunt In: burleson county,,and any other place im welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3 View Post
What will you be hunting? Deer and elk or fleas and ticks? I donít shoot a rifle much but I donít need to put 5 shots in the same hole to kill deer and elk.
that..was good..lol
4dog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top