Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Still Hunter View Post
    54 is limited Draw for Archery
    Ditto on 55. Neither are OTC for Archery Elk.

Comment

Your odds of bagging an elk are significantly lower, doesn’t mean it won’t be a fun trip and a great learning experience though. If you can’t afford a guide and are ok with the increased likelihood of coming home empty handed, go for it. If you’re going to be devastated if you don’t shoot something, save up and do it in the future. Some guides will do lower cost packages where they scout for you ahead of your trip and give you some advice to shave off some of the learning curve. That is worth looking into I think.

D

Comment

Following

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
          Ditto on 55. Neither are OTC for Archery Elk.
          Wups.

Really good draw odds for most seasons - I was conflating OTC with no preference points needed.
          Last edited by GoBears870; 01-12-2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBears870 View Post
            Wups.
            The only thing I'll add in addition to my pm is allow yourself more days if there's any way you can swing it. 3/4 days is cutting it close IMO. Might take you that long just to find elk or fresh sign. Rember that elk aren't deer. Old sign is about worthless, it just tells you they WERE there, not that they ARE there. Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              The only thing I'll add in addition to my pm is allow yourself more days if there's any way you can swing it. 3/4 days is cutting it close IMO. Might take you that long just to find elk or fresh sign. Rember that elk aren't deer. Old sign is about worthless, it just tells you they WERE there, not that they ARE there. Good luck !
              Sound advice. Go as long as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBears870 View Post
                Another question for those who've been there: Rifle or Bow?

Nicer weather of early season appeals to me for safety reasons, but so does only having to get within 300 yards in the late season.
                Rifle will definitely increase your odds. I use to live just over the pass from Crested Butte. As others have said, just get as far away from the fs roads as possible. If you have connections, maybe have them scout for you prior to arrival. It's not crazy or stupid.

Comment

Working...
                X