Galveston fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galveston fishing

Looking way ahead here, but we are planning on taking a family vacation to Galveston this June and staying in the area around the state park. I can't go anywhere without bringing some rods, but this is pretty different territory for me. I've fished Matagorda Bay a couple times but never been in the surf. If anyone is familiar with the area, I have a few questions.

1) Is it worth hauling a canoe to fish West Bay a couple times?
    2) What can you catch in the surf in June?
    3) Are the party charter boats worth a try?

1. You can walk in and wade a few areas on the West end.
    2. Trout are in the surf pretty thick from June-August.

Comment

You could take a canoe in west bay on the back side of the state park.. the area is protected from wind and fairly shallow , it's a good area for redfish and flounder. Fishing the gulf side typically you will catch speckled trout whiting,Spanish mackerel And different sharks . There are a couple charters on Galveston island but don't do less than 12 hours because it's a long haul to get to good water from Galveston.

Comment

Thanks a lot, guys. On the surf fishing, I'm guessing the best bet is wading early and late for the trout? I have a couple of beefy 9' surf rods and 6000 series reels too if sharks are a possibility. No idea how to rig them up though.

Comment

In the surf, wade early (be there before first light). Find/follow bait.....don't take anything too nice as chances are high it will get wet. I like to start by throwing into the second gut and then work out or back, but the bait (or someone else's bent rod) will tell you where the trout are. Re stringer length, longer is better.

Bayside in that area (near GISP) is extremely shallow....best fishing that time of year and area is at night due to the high water temps. Bring the canoe, but forget the bay or shoreline during the day....fish the neighborhood canals at night. 100s of green lights with most holding something. Later is better, especially on the weekends, due to the people noise. Fishing the green lights at night can be very, very good. FYI, Id skip the lights/houses with yard or dock lights on, people outside, or where there are rods in dock holders. While the canals are certainly public, there are more empty houses than there are occupied houses. Throw past the light and retrieve through it (casting into the light will spook/ disturb the fish). Bigger fish are typically on the bottom unless you catch the tide right and hear the trout popping on the surface. When you hook or catch a fish, the rest will move deep and develop lockjaw for about 20 minutes. Repeated casts into the same light will push them to another light. Catch one and move on will usually provide the best results.

Comment

How would you guys rig up for sharks or anything else big that could come along? I'd like to keep a line out while on the beach.

Comment

I like to fish. I don't always like to get beat up fishing though. I really like to fly fish. So, I have started just bringing an 8wt fly rod and fishing the wade gut (knee deep water.) Have pulled out a red, a couple of trout doing that in June/July. Cool water is best for flies... but even if it is murky/warm water, cut shrimp will catch you some croaker, reds, sheep head, drums, etc in the wade gut too.

Early and late are best because it also avoids the mid day crowds of folks who just want to play and splash in the water.

Comment

Lots of good info here, including bait and rigging pointers. There is also a 2017 thread, but most of the stuff your'e looking for is in this one. Good luck down there!!

Comment

Working...
                X