Snake boots. Are they required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake boots. Are they required?

I just moved from Missouri and was wondering if snake boots really are needed in the LBJ Grasslands?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

No, but reassuring.

Comment

You're gonna die!!

Just kidding! Like trash2 said, no, but reassuring. I've hunted the grasslands for years and have never worn them. Never even considered it.

Comment

I don't even own any, never have. Never hunted LBJ, but I've hunted plenty of places with high rattler populations. On one quail hunt near Hebronville, four of us killed 16 from Saturday morning until 10:00 a.m. On Sunday. If I ever needed them, that was the trip. I always relied on seeing them before I was too close. As a kid, we hunted cottonmouths on the creeks and sloughs of East Texas. Came close three times, but never bitten. I think cottonmouths are twice as likely to bite as rattlers are, but that's just an opinion based on more than sixty years around snakes.

Comment

Originally posted by trash2 View Post
          No, but reassuring.
          X2

Comment

I rarely wear my snake boots.
            Mostly if we are cleaning up brush piles and stuff but not for the snake, for cactus and mesquite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
              I rarely wear my snake boots.
              Mostly if we are cleaning up brush piles and stuff but not for the snake, for cactus and mesquite

Yepp, exactly when I wear them. I have killed 21 rattlesnakes since January and I just wear my snake boots in and around brush piles mainly. But as others said, they are reassuring.

Comment

I've lived in Texas 31 years and never even owned a pair. Lol

Comment

I don't know that they're really necessary anywhere. I know guys that hunt deep south Texas where there's big rattlesnakes all over and they wear tennis shoes. With that said, I wear mine pretty much every day from March until the first good hard freeze of winter.

Comment

I've never seen a live rattlesnake while hunting.

Comment

Down in South Texas we rarely walk around during the warm months without them (like 10 months out of the year). We've never had anyone get bitten on the lease but we have killed many many snakes. Its just a security thing I guess. If you get bitten down where we hunt you're at least an hour and a half from the nearest hospital.

Comment

Im pretty sure CROCS are required. Lol

Comment

You don't need them. Unless you get bit.
                          But really depends what you are doing
                          3 pm in August filling a feeder probably not.
                          6 pm in Sept hunting dove by a tank with tall grass and cactus might be a good decision.
                          7 pm in Oct walking out after bow hunting might be a great decision

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

You're calves are gonna sweat like a hooker in a church house. I'd almost rather get bitten...but not quite.

Comment

Originally posted by trash2 View Post
                              No, but reassuring.

This. I grew up in the Rattlesnake Capital of Texas and never had more than work boots. We now wear snake boots everywhere when at the farm because there just no reason to chance it.

Comment

Working...
                              X