Hearing Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hearing Protection

This will be my 1st rifle with a muzzle brake and was checking to see what everyone is using. In the past, I've always used muffs when practicing and nothing when hunting. Will probably double up with plugs and muffs at the bench (under metal awning) but don't want to hunt with muffs....just some kind of plug. Anybody use the electronic plugs?

24" barrel 300 win mag with a gill style brake

I've been using the Surefire Sonic Defender plugs for a couple of years now. They have been comfortable enough to wear around for most of the day when I'm hunting. I also use them under a set of Walker's electronic muffs when I am at the range.

Comment

Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs
      I really like these

Comment

Howard Leight Impact Sports are fantastic at a great price point but if price isn’t an issue MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X’s are supposed to be insanely nice. The Howard lights start to hurt your ears after about an hour or two but you can buy gel cups from Noise Fighters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My howard's didn't hold up and they never seated around my ears properly. Might have got a bad set but I wouldn't recommend. I am going to try the walker razor slims next.

Comment

What? . I've never used any hearing protection

Comment

If you want to blissfully shoot, put plugs in then cover with Peltor electronic muffs. It’s great.

Comment

A had a pair of the Howard’s a long time ago. They are ok for about 30 min then they hurt your ears. I had to have muffs I could wear for 8-12 hours a day at a match. The MSA Sordins with the gel cup inserts are the only way to go. I also hunt with them on, religiously. Even when I’m suppressed, I still have them on hunting. I have some high frequency hearing loss in my left ear from hunting/shooting so much as a kid and teenager. I never fire a shot from a centerfire caliber now without hearing protection.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                  A had a pair of the Howard’s a long time ago. They are ok for about 30 min then they hurt your ears. I had to have muffs I could wear for 8-12 hours a day at a match. The MSA Sordins with the gel cup inserts are the only way to go. I also hunt with them on, religiously. Even when I’m suppressed, I still have them on hunting. I have some high frequency hearing loss in my left ear from hunting/shooting so much as a kid and teenager. I never fire a shot from a centerfire caliber now without hearing protection.
                  I'll second the MSA Sordin muffs, I shoot competition also and have worn the muffs for hours without issue.

Comment

Keep the suggestions coming. Mainly looking for something to use when hunting. Not sure I could wear muffs all day during warm/hot weather.

Comment

Originally posted by droptine8850 View Post
                      Keep the suggestions coming. Mainly looking for something to use when hunting. Not sure I could wear muffs all day during warm/hot weather.
                      There are several shooting/outdoor oriented companies that make custom fitted electronic ear plugs. Some of my shooting friends have them. They are supposed to be the very best of both worlds as far as comfort and protection. The down side is they are expensive. I’ll have to look and see what the main two companies are. They usually dontate certificates to the prize tables at matches.

Comment

I just turn my hearing aids off.

Comment

I just keep plain Jane plugs around my neck while hunting. The ones with the lanyard. Throw them in right before I shoot.

Comment

Watching

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
                              My howard's didn't hold up and they never seated around my ears properly. Might have got a bad set but I wouldn't recommend. I am going to try the walker razor slims next.
                              That’s strange. I’ve had mine for 6-7 years. I plug my iPhone into them and listen to music as I shoot lol. They work great

Comment

Working...
                              X