No announcement yet.

Advice on Custom Bolt action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the first questions I ask before suggestions is budget.

What are you intending to hunt with the rifle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by wheels View Post
      Hunting Rifle. Would like to have someone built me custom rifle.

Looking for starting point
      Model 700 platform
      Maybe Carcon barrel
      .300 Ultra Mag 7mm STW
      Custom stock etc....
      700 action platform; very wise choice since there are lots of components based on the Rem 700 footprint.
      … custom action will cost you $850 ~ $2000 depending on options
      FYI - there have been hundreds, if not thousands of accuracy World Records shot with the Rem 700 action. The action is proven and can be made to shoot with a right GS.

Barrel … matter of personal opinion
      - CF $800
      - S.S. match grade $365 (fluting + $125)
      - threaded for brake $100 , muzzle brake installed $125
      … barrel contour and twist will be based on desired rifle weight and bullets intended to shoot.

Cartridge …. your custom build, decide what YOU want

Stock …. pretty much unlimited options that will cost from $225 to $2000
      - Manners, HS Precision, Grayboe, McMillan, chassis systems, the skies the limit.

Trigger … $100 to $350 , depends on your pocketbook and trigger quality

Cost … you can spend $1500 on a budget rifle (used 700 action) to $5500 for all the bells and whistles.
      - fit, chamber, crown … ballpark $225
      - pillar and glass bed … ballpark $250

GS… whoever YOU feel most comfortable with. I've built 50+ custom rifles and used GS's in all over the country. DON'T let geography decide your GS. Call a dozen GS's, discuss your build, ask lots questions, and be a sponge.

Glass … that's a whole 'nother can of worms

call me if you want to talk or have ?'s … I've been consulting on custom rifle builds for 25+ yrs. -three37;three0three/443seven...

Comment

Yes hunt with this rifle, under 5k. Hunt out west so I dont want a Boat Anchor, thanks again

Comment

Call APR talk to the guys, can't find better group

Comment

I’d call Clayton at WTO but I’m a little biased as I’ve already had him build me and absolute beauty already and that sucker shoots

Comment

Advice on Custom Bolt action

Originally posted by wheels View Post
              Yes hunt with this rifle, under 5k. Hunt out west so I dont want a Boat Anchor, thanks again

For that budget you should be able to get a lightweight titanium action (defiance, pierce, or lone peak etc) add a carbon fiber barrel (proof) with a lightweight carbon fiber stock. Should be under 7lbs.

For hunting out west the 300WM or newer 300 PRC will be hard to beat. The 7 Sherman Short looks promising as well if you reload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd go to horizon firearms. Excellent worksmanship and true customization. Functional and beautiful.

I'd go for a custom action with that budget. But, if you want to save some coin I'd go for the tikka action over the rem700.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I've used pac nor and a local smith on several builds.. I dont get the hate for Remington actions . I have several that shoot way better than I'm capable. I take or send my action and barrel preferences to the Smith. I order everything else. Including cerakote most of my guns are around 1800 to 2100 dollars.. I ordered a grey boe stock this evening.. I was planning to use McMillan but the guy I talked to acted like he didnt want to deal with an individual. So I won't use them again..

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                    I've used pac nor and a local smith on several builds.. I dont get the hate for Remington actions . I have several that shoot way better than I'm capable. I take or send my action and barrel preferences to the Smith. I order everything else. Including cerakote most of my guns are around 1800 to 2100 dollars.. I ordered a grey boe stock this evening.. I was planning to use McMillan but the guy I talked to acted like he didnt want to deal with an individual. So I won't use them again..
                    You can make a Remington shoot as well as any out there. That’s not the issue. The issue is by the time you spend the money to work that Remington over you’re 90% of the way to an action that retains its value, and has fixed a couple of flaws that the Remington does have. The accuracy will be up the the barrel, the smith, and the individual load.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                      You can make a Remington shoot as well as any out there. That’s not the issue. The issue is by the time you spend the money to work that Remington over you’re 90% of the way to an action that retains its value, and has fixed a couple of flaws that the Remington does have. The accuracy will be up the the barrel, the smith, and the individual load.
                      I've never had a smith charge more for a remington build because it's harder to work. Maybe I've been lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Solocam84 View Post
                        Crimson accuracy in Cresson TX
                        Johnny built me an unbelievable rifle I couldn’t be happier with.

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                          I've never had a smith charge more for a remington build because it's harder to work. Maybe I've been lucky.
                          I didn’t say they charge more. I said by the time you spend the money to true everything up, add a rail, knob, lug etc you’re already in custom action territory money wise. The only difference is you’ve still got a 700 Action that doesn’t retain the value that a custom will.

The custom won’t need truing, and most come with a rail, knob, lug. Basically what you’re payin to add to the 700 will come factory on the custom. The difference being you pay $850 for an action that you can put 2000 rounds through and sell for $800. The worked over 700 will cost you $700+, and if you decide to sell after 2000+ rounds and you’ll get roughly half or a little better than you had invested.

I’ve worked over a couple of 700s myself. They performed great, but I lost my butt on them when I tired of them.
                          Last edited by TX03RUBI; 03-20-2019, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                            I’d call Clayton at WTO but I’m a little biased as I’ve already had him build me and absolute beauty already and that sucker shoots
                            Clayton is building a Switch Lug Long Action for me now in 7mm-08AI and 35 Whelen AI.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                              If I was building a custom I would do just that. Reach out to Cajun Blake would be my advice and tell him what you are wanting and budget
                              This. Blake helped me get a gun built that is an absolute tack driver. I think the whole thing cost be about $1600 buying parts here and there, and then his smith putting it all together.

Or I personally would order another APR rifle since your budget is $5k. You can probably get about any action you want and a CF barrel in that amount of money. I have been extremely impressed with the way mine shoots.
                              Last edited by captainsling; 03-20-2019, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Call Travis at TCR. Tell him Travis sent you.

Comment

Working...
                                X