Key West Trip Summary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key West Trip Summary

Had several folks PM me about Key West vacation, so figured it’d be easiest to try to share it all here....I know that’d have saved me some time and research.

Flights - Much, much cheaper to fly into Miami than Key West, but it is a 3.5-4 hour drive from MIA to Key West. We rented a car only for the day we flew in and the day we left. Didn’t see the need or point to have one while we were there. Parking a vehicle alone is going to cost you a minimum of $20/day, at least in the area we stayed, and it is not very practical to drive around anyhow.

Hotel - We stayed at Margaritaville Resort. Great location, we had a view of Sunset Key and Mallory Square from our balcony...couldn’t have asked for better. Not too impressed with the amenities. Pool was very small, pool bartenders were pretty rude, and drinks weren’t even that good. Not really sure what I was paying the $50/day resort fee. I think I’d look into the Hyatt Centric if I was going to come back.

Sunset Cruise - We did a sunset cruise on ‘Commotion in the Ocean’. Very touristy but the Cat 5 on draft and margaritas were great, live music was really good, Food was about like bar food, and the crew was top notch...I though it was worth the $50/person.

Beaches - Best beach we went to was on Sunset Key. If staying at Margaritaville you could pay $20 for a day pass, worth the $20. Second best was Fort Zachary. I think it was $5 for a day pass for the wife and me. We rented on umbrella and chairs for $30 and had a good time down there. It is rocky and not what you’d think for a Florida beach. If you’re looking for nice sandy white beaches, Key West shouldn’t be on your list.

Eats - where do I start....lots of good food down there. Hands down best food I had was at Hogfish Bar and Grill. It’s a couple of miles outside of Key West, but worth the 10 minute drive. Just a warning it is sketchy looking driving to it, but it is safe. Their Killer Hogfish Sandwich was the absolute best fish sandwich I’ve ever had. It is the lightest, flakiest fish you’ll ever eat...it’s like it melts in your mouth. B.O.s Fish Shack is second best fish sandwich and by far the best conch fritters. Sandy’s Cafe for a great Cuban sandwich. Blue Heaven for a great breakfast/brunch. I had the BLT Benedict(L is for lobster), a bit pricey but dang it was good. You also can’t go wrong with Conch Republic, we ate there a couple of times, food and drinks were great. Schooner’s Wharf was also a great locals place with live music and decent food.

All in all....if you are looking for a typical beach vacation, Key West wouldn’t be my choice. If you’re looking for a mini New Orleans style feel, with ok beaches nearby, and pretty touristy...then this is your place. With just the wife and I we’d spend on average $200-250 per day on eats (usually ate twice a day) and drinks. They are face masks nazis also, even when walking down the sidewalk you have to have it on. Lots of rude people, not sure what is wrong with those folks, definitely don’t go looking for Texas hospitality.

I’m sure I’m forgetting something, I’ll add if I think of anything else.

Thanks for the review. My wife is currently searching for a end of summer trip and Key West came up because of cheap flights. Glad to know about the masks, rocky beaches, and rude folks. Won't be heading that way.

Comment

Thanks for the review, We had a trip planed last month there, but cancelled. After your review i am glad we did, I will not be going there.

Comment

I strongly suggest Fort Lauderdale. The water taxi's, restaurants, water front bars, Everglades tours or fishing, the most famous tiki bar / restaurant in the world (Mai Kai), great beaches, 30 minutes away from great Peacock bass fishing (Lake Ida), etc.

Comment

Heading that way soon. Going to be in Miami and driving down to KW from the day.

Comment

Any Jacksonville tips?

Will be on skool tour next weekend

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
              Heading that way soon. Going to be in Miami and driving down to KW from the day.
              Have fun....that’ll be quite a bit of driving for one day, prob about 7-8 hrs round trip.

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
              Any Jacksonville tips?

Will be on skool tour next weekend

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
              I’ve driven through Jacksonville, but we didn’t stop to sight see.

Comment

Always wanted to go to key west but your review does not make me want to go. You ask what is wrong with these people?

Well for one key west is loaded with liberals, so I think that is your answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My best friends father owns a charter service out there and I talk to him regularly and he said the mask mandates have been reallly really pushed hard down there.

Comment

My buddy and his wife did a AirBnB on some guys big sail boat down there. guy even came out one day and took them for a sail trip.

Comment

I've been to Key West for a day twice. Once was more than enough.

Comment

I end up there 3-4 times a year for work. Definitely, not somewhere I look forward to going.

Comment

Well Sounds Like we Need to look elsewhere , Thanks for the Reviews and Comments ! We are Still looking for a Great Place , Please Give Advice on Something Else . I am all Ears. We are Wanting something close to a Beach Because of Timing , Weather ... Looking at sometime in April or Early May to keep away from the Crowds .

Comment

How about Key Largo? Going there in May.

Comment

We did a Key West trip about 12 years ago. We flew into Miami, rented a Jeep and drove down and stayed to Key West for a handful of nights.

I will say that Slayr's review is pretty much spot on. It's not a bad trip (and we had no regrets going once), but you need to have the right expectations. It's not a great place for children and beach access is somewhat limited. A "mini New Orleans feel" is a great description. So, if a family beach type vacation is what you are looking for, Key West is not the place. The fishing can be spectacular certain times of the year and Tarpon fishing is a blast. As mentioned, the food is great as well. We Scuba dove a few times, but it was average at best (not even in the same league as Mexico, Cayman, Belize, etc.).

The drive from Miami was a little disappointing in my opinion as the scenery wasn't as nice as we thought it would be. Again, that's just my opinion.

All in all, we had no regrets from going on the trip, but it's not a place we would go back for a long time. There's just too many other places we would like to visit. I'm also talking about Key West specifically.

Comment

Working...
                              X