No announcement yet.

Haynie 24' Cat vs Shoalwater 23' Cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A freind of mine owns a new 25' Haynie Magnum.. I have lived on the coast my entire life and have rode in more makes and models than I could begin to remember but his Haynie Magnum is by far the best ride I've been on and that was even in rough conditions.. I was sold on that hull design that day..

Oh and he sold his 1 year old Haynie Cat to buy the Magnum..

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
      There ain't one of these cats mentioned that ride great in 3' rollers. You wouldn't enjoy riding in any of them in honest 3'ers.
      Yes sir your not going to like any cat hulls in 3 ftrs. Completely different ride and designed for different things than the magnums extremes ect.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
        Yes sir your not going to like any cat hulls in 3 ftrs. Completely different ride and designed for different things than the magnums extremes ect.
        I've had my shoalwater in 3 footers and it isn't comfortable but if you hit the rollers at at an angle it is much better. If running north from Bafffin I just run the flats instead of the ICW.
        I've had my shoalwater out in a 40 mph wind and it was rough but I never once was concerned about the boat taking it ok

Comment

I've been lucky to have friends with almost every Haynie combination made. The 24 Haynie Cat feels much larger than the 23. The extra 12" beyond the transom feels like it adds 3' to the overall size for some reason. The boat actually floats extremely shallow for such a heavy built hull. Been a while since riding in a 23 Shoalwater, but they are very well built and will do anything a 23' Haynie will do. The Haynie has a little higher sides especially at the transom which may be a concern when power poled down in a little rougher water. I'd give fit and finish to Shoalwater over Haynie personally but Chris's Marines service is unmatched. Holeshot performance with the El Pescodar Cat, SBC, or even Trans is superior to the either Haynie or Shoalwater in my opinion as well but gives a little up in ride. My neighbors have both a new 23 Super Cat with the key slot and a 23 Shoalwater and seemed to be extremely happy with the Super Cat on performance. I would consider it as a options as well if you are comparing them all.

If leaning hard towards a 24 Haynie, you might consider chartering Adam Nesloney in Rockport. He recently picked up a very nice 24 with mid tower.

Comment

I have spent time in both boats, Haynie will have less bow rise on hole shot. Both will be a rough ride in big chop. The El Pescador is a nice rig also.
            Don't overlook the Mowdy C25, handle the big chop & run super skinny. It will get up in a lot less water than the 2 you have mentioned, it has almost no bow rise on hole shot. I absolutely love mine & will definitely build another one in a couple years.

Comment

Has anyone tested or ran the 26' Southshore CAT?

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                I have spent time in both boats, Haynie will have less bow rise on hole shot. Both will be a rough ride in big chop. The El Pescador is a nice rig also.
                Don't overlook the Mowdy C25, handle the big chop & run super skinny. It will get up in a lot less water than the 2 you have mentioned, it has almost no bow rise on hole shot. I absolutely love mine & will definitely build another one in a couple years.
                I have fished in a 25' Mowdy that my buddy has had for the past 15 years or so. That thing is a beast as far as running shallow and running the open bay with chop. His doesn't get up super skinny, but I don't think it is propped or powered correctly for that. It is just a **** heavy boat. It gets up in plenty skinny and runs plenty skinny, though. We put 10 guys on it one day for a short run and quick getaway Sunday wade and it didn't even flinch.

I have fished out of a 23' Shoalwater a bunch and I think it will run and get up shallower than the Mowdy. I was in one that ran through a bayou between a couple of lakes during a winter lowtide that was impressive. Looking out the back there wasn't any water left behind the prop.

Anyway, all of these are great boats.

Comment

Originally posted by BUCKSTAR View Post
                  JH Performance Outlaw
                  ^^^^This!^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                    I have fished in a 25' Mowdy that my buddy has had for the past 15 years or so. That thing is a beast as far as running shallow and running the open bay with chop. His doesn't get up super skinny, but I don't think it is propped or powered correctly for that. It is just a **** heavy boat. It gets up in plenty skinny and runs plenty skinny, though. We put 10 guys on it one day for a short run and quick getaway Sunday wade and it didn't even flinch.

I have fished out of a 23' Shoalwater a bunch and I think it will run and get up shallower than the Mowdy. I was in one that ran through a bayou between a couple of lakes during a winter lowtide that was impressive. Looking out the back there wasn't any water left behind the prop.

Anyway, all of these are great boats.
                    Must not have been a C25 Cat, I think the 1st C25's were built in 2008 or so, that 18" tunnel from front to back is a deal changer. I have jumped mine up a couple times when sitting on the bottom after getting caught by a falling tide ( soft bottom of coarse ) prob. 8"s.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                      Must not have been a C25 Cat, I think the 1st C25's were built in 2008 or so, that 18" tunnel from front to back is a deal changer. I have jumped mine up a couple times when sitting on the bottom after getting caught by a falling tide ( soft bottom of coarse ) prob. 8"s.
                      So you have a 15 inches of prop plus couple of inches of skeg under that and got up in 8"s of water?

Original question was about two specific cat hulls. Typical these thread always turned into the "you should look at XYZ brand" instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post
                        So you have a 15 inches of prop plus couple of inches of skeg under that and got up in 8"s of water?

Original question was about two specific cat hulls. Typical these thread always turned into the "you should look at XYZ brand" instead.
                        On a Mowdy C25 Cat, with the jackplate all the way up, the bottom of the skeg is level with the bottom of the hull.
                        Just want to make sure the OP doesn't miss out or overlook another option.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Notaguide View Post

always makes me smile when I hear something like that. You better be in mud that you will sink shoulder deep to be able to get up in 8 in of water!

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                            always makes me smile when I hear something like that. You better be in mud that you will sink shoulder deep to be able to get up in 8 in of water!

Fully loaded I’m not even sure if my Haynie is floating in 8”. It will spin up in pure mud when is not floating but it’s not something I try to do frequently. There are very few instances I NEED to get up super skinny and I’m more prone to idle out to deeper water when I can. We moved our console and tower forward 17” along with the 80 gallon tank so the boat floats almost perfectly flat and runs very flat. I drafts maybe a shade over 8” sitting but drifts very well and very shallow.

The mowdys are great boats but they are very hesitant to offer much really custom, heck they just recently started offering a raised console. They were also significantly more expensive for a fairly basic setup than out 23 Haynie with midtower and dang near every option. Mowdys are very very well made and have a cult like following. My best friend run a v-22 that his grandpa bought new in 2001. It has well over 2k hours on it and is still going strong.

Comment

Originally posted by topwater blowup View Post
                              Has anyone tested or ran the 26' Southshore CAT?
                              After the issues a buddy had with a south shore I wouldn't wish those hulls on my worst enemy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                                After the issues a buddy had with a south shore I wouldn't wish those hulls on my worst enemy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                                I dang sure wouldn't buy one. He's been trying to sell of the molds for awhile now. I don't know how the warranty would work out if needed.

That hull is big but it looks like it was designed to be fast but not necessarily real shallow. I've looked one over pretty good.

If you like the looks of that hull do yourself a favor and go to Sport Marine and check out a 25' Outlaw.

Comment

Working...
                                X