No announcement yet.

YouTube mechanic videos to the rescue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We use it in the shop.We consider it a necessary tool.I've repaired most of the appliances in the house using it.I even had a popup blind that for the life of me couldnt get folded up.Jumped on YouTube and easy money.

DJ
    Last edited by DJM; 07-30-2020, 12:58 PM.

Comment

All the time.

Youtube is probably the handiest website around right now.

Comment

I have a 2010 Tundra. It started having a weird problem. When I would try to start the truck, nothing would happen. Dash lights would come on but ignition wouldn't even click. Turn the ignition 100 times and then all of a sudden it would start. It felt like something with the ignition switch because I couldn't remove the key when this was happening. Took it to Tuffy's. They said they replicated the situation and it was the starter to the tune of $1200. I was standing 10' away. They mechanic drove the truck into a bay turned it off. Turned it right back on and it started fine. Walked passed me and told guy at counter that it was the starter. So I decided to take my chances and didn't replace the starter. Drove it another few weeks and same thing happened again, and then again. Finally I started searching youtube. Found a video on the key getting stuck in the ignition that was linked to this little switch that 1. kept key from being removed when ignition was on and 2. kept truck from starting if gear selector was in park. I unplugged that little guy and more problems.

Comment

Those videos are fantastic and can save a lot of money and anguish! I'm in awe of the time some people take to create them, I hope they somehow make some money from them....

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Hopefully don't have to youtube anything but accessory installs for a long time with the new truck purchase....
            Yessir. I have a 2017 F250 now and just some of the maintenance (flushes, fuel filter, etc.) will be much easier with youtube.

Lots of accessorizing to do on that new Tundra. $$$$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              Yessir. I have a 2017 F250 now and just some of the maintenance (flushes, fuel filter, etc.) will be much easier with youtube.

Lots of accessorizing to do on that new Tundra. $$$$$$$

I'm about done....except for an awol rear bumper.....**** Chinese

Comment

i just changed the DEF heater on my F-250 by following Youtube instructions, saved a solid 600$

Comment

Not mechanical but I did learn to grown cucumbers out of a barrel from youtube. Video quality was poor, and I pretty sure the dude in the video was on something.

Comment

You tube has saved the day many times for sure. Mostly with my camper recently. I am mechanically inclined and typically if I can figure out how it works, or comes apart I can fix the problem. You tube has saved me a ton on boat repairs, appliances, ATV's, guns, just about everything. As mentioned above the guys/gals that produce these videos are dang near superheros and hopefully they make some kind of money off their time and skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                      Not mechanical but I did learn to grown cucumbers out of a barrel from youtube. Video quality was poor, and I pretty sure the dude in the video was on something.
                      Dang...I thought we were better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post

Got burned with the same one.... BTW I have a gazillion cucumbers if you need some.

Comment

Youtube's algorithm favors those getting likes and subscribes.

I used to hate hearing them beg for them each video, it's still annoying, but understanding how it works if you like something hit subscribe. Certainly helps them out.

Comment

Ive saved a fortune (saved on repairs, spent on something else) from watching youtube videos, repairing and maintaining 4 vehicles and 2 homes.

Its funny sometimes how complex somebody wants to tell you a job is and the high cost. Then you do it yourself and its quick and easy. Parts are so much cheaper online also.

Comment

I use them regularly. Really glad those that make them take the time to do so!

Comment

To get monetized on youtube you need 1,000 subscribers and a buttload of viewing hours per month.

Comment

Working...
                                X