He wants his gun back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He wants his gun back

3 years ago a guy we work with occasionally that my dad hunts and fishes with once or twice a year contacted us to let us know he was selling all of his hunting or fishing gear due to a divorce and needing cash right now. He was moving to Florida with his new gal and starting a new life.
    Long story short, I bought a decent shotgun (scoped slug with a rifled barrel for MN metro slug hunts) for my wife and a few expensive rods and reels on the cheap end as he was eager to make a quick deal on a lot at once and raise some quick cash. He calls me out of the blue today, and basically says he's back on his feet, never left town and He wants to buy his gun back this week so he's good to go for deer season. Not being one to kick someone when they are down and hoping to be a decent person and maybe get the same treatment should my chips ever be down, I immediately agreed. I thought it was a bit presumptuous the way he asked, but remembered he's always been a bit rough around the edges, and figured it's not fun calling a guy the same age as your own kids and trying to buy a gun back that you've killed most of your deer with. My wife was happy when I told her, even though she killed her first whitetail with it. She confessed she never cared for it as she wants a Savage 220 instead. To the gun store we go! Funny how it's all coming full circle, as I did't especially care for the gun and had some buyers remorse and came close to trading it or selling it last season when my wife took the year off to take care of a newborn.
    Am I foolish for selling it back for the same price, or just trying to do the right thing?

Not at all

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I would do exactly the same ...you never know it may work out for the best

Comment

Nope. You helped him through a rough spell. I say good on you. I bought a nice Remington 22 from a buddy several years ago. It had been his grandfathers. I told him when he got his stuff together, I would sell it back to him at the buying price. I did just that a couple years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I did the same with a Marlin .357, except that I called my buddy back to see if he wanted it back. He did, and we are still very close friends.

Comment

You did right, never know when you might need the help. Even if you don’t, you helped a guy out when down. Good on you.

Comment

Yepp I think we have all been on either side of that deal and it’s good to help out.

Comment

Lets say it was a factory engraved deluxe Winchester 9422 that was worth $350 at the time of purchase and $4200 now, plus your kids built memories with it.

I say Bovine Scat, they used to have a name for it, something like Native American trader.

Comment

You made the right choice!

Comment

He sounds like a jerk, frankly.

Comment

It was the right choice you were honest on your words.

Comment

Think you did the right thing and doesn't sound like you'll miss it too much. That being said, you paid money for it and its your property. You could've told him to pound sand. You did him a favor and he should've politely asked you for the opportunity to buy it back if you were willing to sell.

Comment

Easy choice, especially considering you and your wife don’t particularly care for the gun. No reason to try and skin him out of extra money. You did him a favor back then, but you also got a good deal. Selling it back at the same price means you break even, plus he still owes you a favor if you ever need one. You basically got to borrow the gun for free for a couple of years while helping a buddy out at the same time.

Comment

I think you done good, however, he shouldnt have asked for it back.

Comment

If i really liked the rifle, I would have said no. If I didn’t like the rifle, I’d have sold it back to him at a profit. Why? He was gonna leave town with his gal after a recent divorce...that told me a lot. His ex wife prolly never saw a cent, he spent it on his new ho.

It seems that I’m the first to dissent from the group think, so flame away.

Comment

Working...
                              X