Eating CWD Infected Elk or Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eating CWD Infected Elk or Deer

After listening to the Joe Rogan podcast with Brian Richards, discussions with a few fellow TBH'ers, reading various articles over the past week, as well the MeatEater podcast Brian Richards was on about a year and a half ago, I have some questions for folks.

1. If you hunted in an area with known cases of CWD, would you forego testing for CWD, knowing you could potentially be exposing yourself/family?
    2. If you had your animal tested, and it came back positive for CWD, would you still eat it?
    3. Why or why not?
    4. How many CWD positive deer would you have to shoot in order to stop hunting?

Not looking for arguments about CWD, EHD, TPWD, USDA, or any other govt agency, just a poll from the TBH crowd on how you would react.

Let me i ask you because I don't know. Have you seen any proof that the venison is contaminated in CWD positive deer?

Comment

Y'all hear Burt Reynolds died?

Comment

Live and hunt in the endemic area of Wyoming.
        We do not get our animals tested. We do not harvest sickly looking deer or elk .
        Probably would not eat a positive animal, but i'm betting we have.
        No doubt in my mind we have taken a CWD positive animal in past and didn't know it.
        Worst harvest we've had is on animals that were wounded and infected, those were dumped with permissions form the GW.
        Many animals are harvested in this area and not tested, we know many WG&F employees who also do not get their animals tested.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
          After listening to the Joe Rogan podcast with Brian Richards, discussions with a few fellow TBH'ers, reading various articles over the past week, as well the MeatEater podcast Brian Richards was on about a year and a half ago, I have some questions for folks.

1. If you hunted in an area with known cases of CWD, would you forego testing for CWD, knowing you could potentially be exposing yourself/family?
          2. If you had your animal tested, and it came back positive for CWD, would you still eat it?
          3. Why or why not?

Not looking for arguments about CWD, EHD, TPWD, USDA, or any other govt agency, just a poll from the TBH crowd on how you would react.
          1. No
          2. No
          3. We don't know enough about it yet.
          4. No idea. I'd probably shoot more.

Comment

I would not eat any venison from any deer taken in any area where CWD had been confirmed. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              Let me i ask you because I don't know. Have you seen any proof that the venison is contaminated in CWD positive deer?
              Absolutely. Prions are present in the muscle tissue.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                Me personally, yes I have read published articles on it. Yes, and yes there are prions. There was a study done on monkeys where they were fed meat from deer known to have CWD. Three of five monkeys ended up with the disease.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...cwd/430046001/

"The meat fed to the macaques represented the human equivalent of eating a 7-ounce steak per month."

Comment

Me personally, yes I have read published articles on it. Yes, and yes there are prions. There was a study done on monkeys where they were fed meat from deer known to have CWD. Three of five monkeys ended up with the disease.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sport...cwd/430046001/

"The meat fed to the macaques represented the human equivalent of eating a 7-ounce steak per month."
                  So, in the other thread, there was mention, that this study wasn't accurate, and information was missing....

Comment

I've had all my deer tested for the past several years (46 going back to 2010). No way I'd eat a deer that tested positive.

Comment

I will hunt Uvalde County this year. Required testing. I will not eat positive tested meat. It just ain't worth the risk.

Comment

3. Why or why not?

1.yes
                        2.no
                        3. I wouldn't knowingly eat a sick animal
                        4. Not sure
                        Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                        Y'all hear Burt Reynolds died?
                        when?

Comment

Is testing pretty straightforward in Texas? Getting an elk tested in Wyoming isn't easy when you are a non-resident hunter. You have to track down a G&F rep or drive to the lab in Laramie.

It's a little easier if you are positive you got the retropharyngeal lymph nodes since hauling around a head presents another set of problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Arra View Post
                            Is testing pretty straightforward in Texas? Getting an elk tested in Wyoming isn't easy when you are a non-resident hunter. You have to track down a G&F rep or drive to the lab in Laramie.

It's a little easier if you are positive you got the retropharyngeal lymph nodes since hauling around a head presents another set of problems.
                            Real easy call up a local county biologist, they'll pull and get it tested. All are trained.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Arra View Post

Mandatory check stations and voluntary collectors can be found here:
                              Information about Chronic Wasting Disease in Texas. Find a check station or view check station results.

Comment

Working...
                              X