Fence line etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flywise View Post
    I really dont think more than 1 or 2% of HF are installed due to people hunting a fence line.
    Those fences are tens of thousands or more dollars and more likely they are installed because someone with deep pockets would rather guarentee bigs bucks rather than hunt big bucks
    You'd be surprised....hehehe

Comment

Originally posted by alien_scones View Post
      It's complicated. I wasn't involved in the decision.

I can say, that this years lease agreement he specifically added that all feeders and blinds must be at least 100 feet away from property lines.

So if said hunter had moved the feeder after signing the latest lease agreement this probably would not be an issue.

I'm not looking to draw anyone offsides with the post. Just want level headed thoughts. Thank you

Originally posted by ATI View Post
      He messed up by crossing the fence and disconnecting your feeder.
      If it's on this side of the fence and your'e not shooting into his property and the corn from the feeder isn't crossing the fence, it's none of his business.
      If he really doesn't like it, he can put up a high fence so no one can steal "His" deer....

OK, I didn't see this and I take what I said back. Move the feeder 40 feet and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
        There is nothing wrong with a feeder 60 yds from a fence, there is nothing wrong with a blind on the fence looking onto your property.
        Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
        I did not know there was a feeder made that could sling corn 60yds out!!!
        Please note he said 60 FEET, not 60 yards. Carry on.

Comment

Fenceline

I guess I'm old school but I've never set a stand or feeder where my neighbors could see them. Just keeps everyone happy and no drama. But yes it's your lease so you can set up where you want and deal with these types of problems.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
            Trespassing
            Vandalism
            Hunter harassment

Exactly, get GW involved and that won’t happen again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We have several food plots that are next to fence lines, why ? Because it was the best place to put them, we also have a couple of stands along a fence line, same reason. The only problem I have with neighbors is when they place a feeder next to me and will be shooting towards or onto my property, that is dangerous, other than that all is good. Cannot believe they came onto your property and disconnected your feeder, that took some balls.

Comment

That's old man hand writing. You are doing the correct thing moving the feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by criddle View Post
                  Looks like the paper is from an animal treatment record book. Handy books but an expensive piece of scrap paper to leave a note.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk
                  could be but 'Rite in the Rain' makes several types of paper tablets, mainly for forestry workers.

Comment

Maybe try to think like a rancher. In my experience, the ground and vegetation is affected by the presence of a feeder probably at least 60 feet in every direction due to the concentration of animals walking around trampling away all the grass, hogs rooting around, etc. At a bare minimum, I think a feeder should at least be far enough away from a fence to not affect the ground or vegetation along the fence because that could eventually affect the fence itself. I would always try to err on the side of courtesy.

Comment

Originally posted by KNEE DEEP View Post
                      I guess I'm old school but I've never set a stand or feeder where my neighbors could see them. Just keeps everyone happy and no drama. But yes it's your lease so you can set up where you want and deal with these types of problems.
                      Same here. Asking for trouble when you start putting ANYTHING close to fence lines, especially stands and feeders. Its like your just agging the neighbor on or daring him to say something. That is not conducive to working toward better relations with your neighbor.
                      I also see a lot of comments on here where some of you guys are saying to move the feeder closer to the fence ... why? just to prove something? Besides, the OP said there is a lease agreement of a 100' (that's feet, not yards!) rule of not placing things within that limit.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                        Same here. Asking for trouble when you start putting ANYTHING close to fence lines, especially stands and feeders. Its like your just agging the neighbor on or daring him to say something. That is not conducive to working toward better relations with your neighbor.
                        I also see a lot of comments on here where some of you guys are saying to move the feeder closer to the fence ... why? just to prove something? Besides, the OP said there is a lease agreement of a 100' (that's feet, not yards!) rule of not placing things within that limit.
                        OP stated in a later post and not the original post

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
                          He shouldn’t be on your property, but the feeder shouldn’t be that close to the fence if there is a provision in the lease agreement for it to be further. Your land owner very well could’ve already talked to the neighbor about this issue, which is probably why he added the distance restriction to the lease. Now the land owner has to deal with a trespassing neighbor and a lease holder who’s not upholding the lease agreement, so yeah, I’m sure he’s not real happy right now.
                          Bingo

Comment

Don't call a Game Warden and don't blow it up.

Most likely that land owner knows your lease rules and knows feeders must be 100 feet from the fence, also that land owner is probably either family or friends with your land owner and crossing the fence is not a big deal to your land owner in this situation, because your hunter broke the rules (whether he knew it or not)

Don't create drama, move the feeder and be done.

Comment

Lease agreement is one thing to follow. Your land or no rule stating is another. Stands and feeders on a fence line is not asking for trouble. It’s simply using the land your paying for however the heck you want. If a neighbor wants to trespass, harass or cause trouble then the problem is on them. Don’t break the law shooting across the fence or slinging corn over.

My neighbor has a feeder 15 Feet from our north fence. He has a bow stand 20 yds further down the fence and a rifle blind 100 yds further down. It doesn’t bother me one bit. It suits his property the best for him to hunt.

Feeder 15’ in or 100’ in the same deer are being hunted. I “hunt” his feeder in a way. I may not shoot one on his side of the fence but I set up 50 yds inside my property line and catch the deer filtering from my place to his feeder location all the time when wind is right.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                                X2, why landowners prefer not to lease property. Easy for hunters to lease a place and not consider the forever nature of the situation for the landowners. Lease members move on but the issues left behind stay with the landowners (neighbors) forever.
                                Last edited by camoclad; 11-27-2019, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X