DIY Desk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Desk

I saw the epoxy coffee table and figured I’d post my project. I started making this about two and a half years ago with the goal of bringing it up to school when I started. Well now that I’m about to graduate I finally finished it......
    I made the desk frame out of poplar and the cheap bead board from Home Depot, originally I was gonna make the top out of mahogany, however I don’t have a decent table saw or anything to join the wood so that didn’t work out. I found a couple slabs of black walnut for a steal of a deal and decided to go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice work. I love working with walnut better than most anything else.

Comment

Great work

Comment

Really nice. I want to try it.

Comment

Looks sharp, nice job.

Comment

Thanks y’all! I just had to show it off! This was my first epoxy project and first real piece of furniture. It was quite the learning experience!

Comment

I think you did a great job! That's pretty!

Comment

Did you build a router flattening jig to plane the slab? I’m going to build a similar top for a dining room table...just gathering info for now.

Comment

That looks great! Well done.

Comment

Looks great. Epoxy tables have been the hit lately and I want to make one myself.

Comment

those sell for 1000s online... u can make $ selling them...

Comment

The only suggestion I would make is....pull around back when unloading it at my house...it is easier than climbing up the steps. Look really cool!

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
                          Did you build a router flattening jig to plane the slab? I’m going to build a similar top for a dining room table...just gathering info for now.

I didn’t, but I would 100% build one for the next project. The epoxy will level/flatten everything out, and that’s what I ended up doing for mine, I could’ve saved a BUNCH of money in epoxy though had I leveled the slabs.

Also I would recommend using a vacuum to pull the air out of the epoxy and making sure the temperature is right. My table is a bit different than most, the epoxy is dyed and is crystal clear, I can see through the “river” into my drawer below. Which also means you can see every air bubble.

I’m thinking the next project is gonna be coffee and end tables.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                            The only suggestion I would make is....pull around back when unloading it at my house...it is easier than climbing up the steps. Look really cool!
                            Hahahaha...using this the next time I get the opportunity with a buddy of mine.

To OP: Fantastic job... I am hoping to do something similar.

Comment

niiice

Comment

Working...
                              X