25 year old Baseball coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25 year old Baseball coach

Told my wife he was teaching my 11 year old to be a man. Fortunately, I was at a soccer game with my youngest. Otherwise, we would have had a man "talk."

? Not sure I get the deal here?

Comment

Elaborate please...

Comment

To clarify, the boy didn't play or have any interaction with the coach.

Comment

If I’m understanding it right, a young coach told your wife that he is teaching your 11 year old son to be a man?

Comment

I don’t know any details or the context but as a coach for the last 10 yrs I would not say that to any parent. Although many kids do need to be taught some life skills that will make them a better man. Some of my kids lacked a father figure. He probably doesn’t have the best coaching techniques.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Is the coach not your sons coach, confused.

Comment

Essentially, the team didn't play well. My boy is playing with older kids and doesn't expect to get much, if any playing time. I'm okay with that because it was his decision. He didn't play today as expected. That is why I question why the coach went to him and told him to "look in the mirror and ask if he gave all his effort." When my wife questioned that considering that the boy didn't play he said, "I'm teaching him to be a man."

Comment

Was he addressing the entire team or single him out? Was it a game or practice?

Comment

That’s just not right. Not his job no matter what he thinks. Soccer players can be men too. I met one once.

Comment

My son now plays D1 basketball and I know the coaches value their demeanor as much on the bench as on the court. They have a role to play no matter where they are. Do you know that your kid wasn't whining or being negative about the game?

Comment

Nope. Sitting under the coach the entire time. Again, this is not about playing time. My boy chose to play with older kids knowing that he wouldn't play much. I'm just concerned about the coach "teaching my son to be a man."

Comment

You don't actually think you are the only male influence it will take to "teach your son to be a man" do you? I embrace what other people have done to help form my boys into the young men they now are. You should too.

Comment

Have dealt with many coaches over the years. Most were top-notch, and many employed psychological approaches that were not immediately evident. (Son played four years of college baseball.) Give it a little time. If not happy with playing time or development, move him to another team or level. Playing is pretty crucial to development.

Comment

Very unclear story.

Comment

Working...
                              X