Lower for AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lower for AR

So I met a former Jarhead in academy and struck up a conversation. Ending up talking about the “C” word. He told that a person can buy a lower, but has to “mill” it out himself and it’s perfectly legal. Said hel literally called the A T F and spoke with them about it and it is legal.
    Question: The only thing that makes a weapon legal or illegal is a serial number? Folks have we reached that level of stupidity? It appears that we have.

80% lowers or pistol frames. Research it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes making your own gun is legal

There are some rules when it comes to marking them, serial numbers, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

80% lowers have been on the market for years. The kits are really cheap and come out nice. I have a couple ar10s between my FIL and myself and they’re great. Catch em on sale and they’re a really good deal

Comment

One can fabricate a firearm for personal use legally but you cannot sell it because then you would be manufacturing for profit without a license. 80% lowers are currently (I stress that) legal

Michael

Comment

Working with ATF directly at one time in my career, I asked about the serial number requirement. This was a long time ago so the rules/laws may have changed. His answer was that a firearm must have a serial number. If I made one myself, I could take a stamp and put “1” on it and that is my serial number for a firearm that I manufactured.

Comment

Every 80% lower I've seen was more expensive than a finished lower. Plus you have to have/buy a jig.

Comment

It is legal for you to finish an 80% lower or frame for yourself. It becomes an issue if you are producing them to sell, unserialized and unmarked. That said don’t call and ask the ATF things that’s how we get dumb rulings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  Every 80% lower I've seen was more expensive than a finished lower. Plus you have to have/buy a jig.
                  Yea I remember when you could get an unfinished lower for about $25. Now there're easily 3-4x that.
                  Cody Wilson down in Austin has been battling the state dept for years to keep it legal. Say what you want about his agenda but it takes alot of cahones to stand up against the US State Dept when they try and lock you up for making an 80% lower (with instructions on how to complete), for personal use.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Keep in mind there’s nothing stopping the ATF and their power grabby hands from subpoenaing a list of customers from these companies if they determine them to be illegal at some point. It just happened with the solvent traps, a 3D printed auto sear “coat hook”, and the Q Honey Badger.

Comment

What everyone said above Bruce. 80% receivers do not need serial numbers. By law you are allowed to complete/finish the receivers as long as you do not make them to sell.
                      100% legal currently. They are good for SHTF guns, but I would not trust my life to a Polymer 80% lower. Just buy an AR/lower without papers from someone. A heck of a lot easier.

Comment

Was just curious y’all as to why one was legal and the other not when they could both be used for the same application when completed. And no I will not be calling the A T F. I’m sure they know who I am anyway having a L T C.

Comment

Working...
                        X