Goodbye Costa, Hello Maui Jim....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodbye Costa, Hello Maui Jim....

Been a loyal Costa wearer for probably 12+ years. I live in my sunglasses and am hard on them. Costa has always done me right. Couple weeks ago I was throwing batting practice to my son and my glasses slipped off my face due to being super sweaty. One of the lenses cracked. No biggie, I don't mind spending a $100 to have new lenses put in. Filled out the warranty/repair form and submitted everything. I noticed though that at the bottom of their website, it says that they are currently suspending all repairs to customers glasses. Well, I was confused so I spent almost two hours trying to get ahold of someone in customer service to see if they were going to be able to do the repair or not.

I finally get connected to someone via "customer service chat" which means you have to text back and forth with someone. It took me 7 tries over two days to actually make it through their crappy system. Long story short, according to their customer service person, they are not doing any repairs due to Covid. No idea why they can't fix sunglasses that people send in. So now I'm stuck with a pair of sunglasses that I can't have repaired.

I hung up and immediately called Maui Jim. I had a customer service rep. on the phone literally in 30 seconds. I asked if they were doing repair work for their customers still, taking care of warranty issues, etc.... Her reply was, of course we are. I told her I would be buying a pair of Maui's since Costa apparently can't take care of their customers any more.

Hope this helps shed some light on what a crappy company Costa has become.

Yep and they won’t replace that lense if the model isn’t a current model. And they have like 5 out and they are all trash .

Replace the lense with a revant lense and write em off. Costa that is

Comment

hate to hear that. I have a pair of costa's I need to send in. If you need a lense check out this place. https://www.revantoptics.com

Comment

Originally posted by rockyraider View Post
        Been a loyal Costa wearer for probably 12+ years. I live in my sunglasses and am hard on them. Costa has always done me right. Couple weeks ago I was throwing batting practice to my son and my glasses slipped off my face due to being super sweaty. One of the lenses cracked. No biggie, I don't mind spending a $100 to have new lenses put in. Filled out the warranty/repair form and submitted everything. I noticed though that at the bottom of their website, it says that they are currently suspending all repairs to customers glasses. Well, I was confused so I spent almost two hours trying to get ahold of someone in customer service to see if they were going to be able to do the repair or not.

I finally get connected to someone via "customer service chat" which means you have to text back and forth with someone. It took me 7 tries over two days to actually make it through their crappy system. Long story short, according to their customer service person, they are not doing any repairs due to Covid. No idea why they can't fix sunglasses that people send in. So now I'm stuck with a pair of sunglasses that I can't have repaired.

I hung up and immediately called Maui Jim. I had a customer service rep. on the phone literally in 30 seconds. I asked if they were doing repair work for their customers still, taking care of warranty issues, etc.... Her reply was, of course we are. I told her I would be buying a pair of Maui's since Costa apparently can't take care of their customers any more.

Hope this helps shed some light on what a crappy company Costa has become.
        Yup. I have 2 pairs of Costa needing repairs and no dice. I did also send 3 old pairs i've had for years back to Maui Jim a few weeks ago and got all 3 back good as new within a week or so. Maui Jim for the win!

Comment

I didn't know about those replacement lenses, appreciate the heads up. I wish they made them in glass rather than poly. I might still order some since the my frames are still good or just wait until Costa starts doing repairs again. Either way, I will not be buying any more Costas, MJ is getting my business from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
            Yep and they won’t replace that lense if the model isn’t a current model. And they have like 5 out and they are all trash .

Replace the lense with a revant lense and write em off. Costa that is
            There's a way around this, FYI. Search for the thread about it.

They have gone downhill, but its because they have sourced out their warranty work. It's still possible to get great customer service. I just sent a pair in about 2 months ago and they sent me a replacement pair. I even got to choose what frames I wanted and I was about to upgrade to glass lenses for free.

Comment

Yeah, but now you have to wear Maui Jim sunglasses.

Comment

I have always had good customer service from Coata. That said, I got my first pair of MJ's two years ago and will never go back to Costa. Love my Maui Jims.

Comment

Are Jim’s plastic or glass. I can’t do poly as I’m very hard one glasses and wear them every day all day and throw them on center console to put on reader them pick them up and do it again all day. Got a pair of poly Costas as a gift and they were useless in less than 2 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                    Are Jim’s plastic or glass. I can’t do poly as I’m very hard one glasses and wear them every day all day and throw them on center console to put on reader them pick them up and do it again all day. Got a pair of poly Costas as a gift and they were useless in less than 2 weeks
                    Mine are glass but they are older, 5-10 yrs. Not sure what they do now. If i were to ever pick Costa or Maui Jim side by side, no comparison IMO. Maui Jim all day. Just cost a little more.

Comment

I use to live in my glasses when I guided several years back. Went with Maui Jim. Had one pair and went back to Costa. They are not near as scratch resistant and clear as Costas. At least not then they weren't.

Comment

I have 3 pair of Maui Jim’s and I’ve worn just about every type of sunglasses, they’re frameless and they’re broken on the glass at the nose piece called Maui Jim they said they no longer made that model I took them back to the eyeglass place and he said lots of that model break there so they’re discontinued almost 900.00 bucks they wouldn’t take them back offer me a reduced price on any other of their models so I think they’re in the same boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          Yeah, but now you have to wear Maui Jim sunglasses.
                          Exactly.

Comment

I have a pair of Costa's and the frames have warped so bad they can't be worn. The earpieces curve upward and dont grip your head at all. I called and spoke to their customer service rep months ago and basically they said that my glasses were out of stock and that I had 48 hours to choose my replacement frames which I didn't care too much about. They have so many I found some that I liked pretty easy. The kicker is that they would not comp the glass lenses in the new frames, only poly. My existing glasses 580 glass lenses and they would not offer a glass lense replacement. I am done with them.

Comment

I was in Paris a few years ago and someone took my Costa's off my hat on the subway. So the next day I was in Italy and found a sunglass shop in a small town and bought Maui Jim glasses. The finish on the frames peel off fairly easy but the lenses are good.

Comment

Working...
                              X