Broadheads hitting left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadheads hitting left

I got some new landshark broadheads 125 grain, same as my field tips. They hit on target at 15 yards, but at 20 yards they’re 4” left.

Any suggestions? The broadheads are 1/2” longer than field tips so they actually weaken spine somewhat. I could add some brass weights up front but that does t feel like the right thing to do.

One thing is that I have the top hat adapters for screw in broadheads, so I can’t do any alignment work of the blades and fletchings.

Paper tune your bow.

Comment

Tap the rest a tiny tiny amount to right.

Ha, didn't see the subforum..

Bareshaft tune.
      Also, if you're shooting off the shelf you can build up strike plates to affect spine.
      Last edited by Easttxbowman; 09-18-2020, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
        Tap the rest a tiny tiny amount to right.
        Shooting off the shelf. No adjustment

Comment

Edit...this is trad

Comment

I believe when I had this issue going on I read I was over spined. I cranked it up a few pounds and that worked.

Being trad, I don't think this is of much help unless you have some weaker spined, or longer arrows of the same spine laying around.

MZ

Comment

Arrows are too stiff. What is poundage at your draw? Arrow spine, length of arrow, and total point weight including inserts and weights?

Comment

Try reducing your brace height about an eighth of an inch.

Comment

If you believe that the angle of your broadheads is the problem then you might want to try the small rubber washers from 3 rivers. I personally like my main blades to be horizontal and these little washers sure make life a lot easier.

Otherwise lowering your brace height a little bit or building out your strikeplate should help you.

I would first try and bareshaft tune and go from there. A fletched arrow with a field point can cover up a number of tuning issues that don't surface until you strap on a broadhead.

Comment

Aim right

Comment

Sounds a little smart alecky to just say aim right, but it actually may be helpful. A fixed crawl shooter told me as recently as yesterday that he had to "gun-barrel" his arrow at about a "4-o'clock" position to hit the middle of the "clock". Raises another point regarding the aiming method you're using; sighting down the whole arrow would eliminate differences between field tip and broadheads. I'm not the expert, but just had this discussion with a guy who has done pretty well all over the world with fixed crawl shooting.

Comment

Nothing smart alecky intended, sometime it’s as simple as where your aiming

Comment

I am going with the bow needs tuning. I thought I had my bow tuned pretty good, with field tips, then shot some broadheads, and it was hitting to the left about 8" with the broadheads. The arrow flight looked good with the field tips, but obviously it was not good enough. I went back and did some more tuning and finally got it correct. It hits the same spot with both the broadheads and field tips now. Your rest needs to be moved to one side or the other.

Comment

Most importantly as stated above, be sure you have a perfect tuned arrow flight as that will trump everything. For ease, I'd decrease your brace height a 1/4" or so and shoot and see if that helps. If still left, decrease your brace again another 1/4" and see where your at with your broadheads AND your field tips.

I pulled my bow out in February after laying off a bit once season was out to make sure it was good to go for a Javelina hunt. Field points were spot on, broadheads (which had been shooting good during deer season) were consistently grouping/cutting feathers off of other arrows 5" right of my dot. Checked brace and it was about 3/8" low so gave it a couple twists and broadheads were back in the dot and the field points didnt change a bit.

Comment

As a general rule of thumb for a right handed shooter, hitting left means stiff spine and hitting right means weak spine. From there you are just manipulating variables such as changing arrows, adding or subtracting point weight, raising or lower brace height, building out strike plate, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X