Somerville PHL 18-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by forest-hunter View Post
    That is funny lol. I’m back here 1.6 miles but looks like other ppl are to! I’m just glad it’s not flooded.
    Amen to No flooding this year! I’m hoping it stays that way this winter to keep some of those small 8pt bucks around for next year. I found a small 6pt skull on the creek bank at the end of last year after the flooding stopped, I’m assuming he died from the flood.

I’ve been hunting Keechi Creek WMA(e-postcard hunt) and Sam Houston since I killed my Somerville buck, but no luck yet. Got close to a few at Keechi but rut was coming to a close when I arrived there and acorns were falling like rain drops all over. Sounds like y’all are hunting the same area lol....including someone else who left their arrows and quiver....based on what I’m seeing there are only like 1 or 2 “areas” that you can go 1.6 miles deep unless you are entering a gate to use wind for your advantage. I seriously give you all props for walking that far! That would take me almost an hour to get into ....just because I walk really slow to avoid noise and sweating.

Comment

That is funny lol. I’m back here 1.6 miles but looks like other ppl are to! I’m just glad it’s not flooded.
      Let's just say that he didn't walk that far on purpose. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Comment

Pay attention!
        All that chat about regulations discrepancy between the book and the county was clarified to me by a game warden.
        Yesterday, I was about to drive away from the parking lot at the box #4, when a warden pulled up in his truck.
        He asked if I had any luck and I told him that I was trying to get a doe on the last day, but didn't see anything. His reply was, it's good that you didn't shoot one because it's not allowed in Burleson. When I mentioned the book, he just ignored it and asked for my license.
        So, follow county regulations, not the book.

Comment

Originally posted by verter View Post
          Pay attention!
          All that chat about regulations discrepancy between the book and the county was clarified to me by a game warden.
          Yesterday, I was about to drive away from the parking lot at the box #4, when a warden pulled up in his truck.
          He asked if I had any luck and I told him that I was trying to get a doe on the last day, but didn't see anything. His reply was, it's good that you didn't shoot one because it's not allowed in Burleson. When I mentioned the book, he just ignored it and asked for my license.

That’s a complete crock of ****. It’s a PHL with its own rules. He’s mistaken. Shoot you two bucks in each county and I bet you get slammed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by verter View Post
            Pay attention!
            So that means we could have shot a doe up until the 17th?

Comment

Originally posted by greenmonstah View Post

Lol what game warden was it.??

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GD47 View Post
                Lol what game warden was it.??

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                This is crazy because I almost shot a doe on Lee County side and I would have had to drag it out on Burleson County side. ***?

Comment

The GW was probably the idiot Jaime...

He’s only good for one thing..and knowledge isn’t it.

Stats on his cool boy points on Lone Star Law.
                  LOL

Serious though, Burleson Co held a meeting about him after his first year here...he’s not the brightest or sharpest tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggwild View Post
                    The GW was probably the idiot Jaime...

He’s only good for one thing..and knowledge isn’t it.

Stats on his cool boy points on Lone Star Law.
                    LOL

Serious though, Burleson Co held a meeting about him after his first year here...he’s not the brightest or sharpest tool.

I didn't ask his name. He was in his low 30s I would say and there was a female officer with him, but she kept silent.

Comment

That's what I was thinking too after the encounter.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug1076 View Post
                        Amen to No flooding this year! I’m hoping it stays that way this winter to keep some of those small 8pt bucks around for next year. I found a small 6pt skull on the creek bank at the end of last year after the flooding stopped, I’m assuming he died from the flood.

I’ve been hunting Keechi Creek WMA(e-postcard hunt) and Sam Houston since I killed my Somerville buck, but no luck yet. Got close to a few at Keechi but rut was coming to a close when I arrived there and acorns were falling like rain drops all over. Sounds like y’all are hunting the same area lol....including someone else who left their arrows and quiver....based on what I’m seeing there are only like 1 or 2 “areas” that you can go 1.6 miles deep unless you are entering a gate to use wind for your advantage. I seriously give you all props for walking that far! That would take me almost an hour to get into ....just because I walk really slow to avoid noise and sweating.
                        Good job on your buck, I try to go further and it’s not necessary but it doesn’t bother me, I use a large hiking pack with a game bag, packing out meat on my back is not a big deal but dragging a critter 100 yards will wear me out.

Comment

Good job on your buck, I try to go further and it’s not necessary but it doesn’t bother me, I use a large hiking pack with a game bag, packing out meat on my back is not a big deal but dragging a critter 100 yards will wear me out.
                          The deeper you go, the less hunters you typically will see on public land for sure. I need to look at a pack like that too, that’s nice. I want to hunt Colorado or New Mexico one year and back country camp, so I’ll definitely have to be able to pack out the meat on my back. Right now, I just use a game cart. Not bad unless it’s muddy or lots of hills and logs. Good luck to you out there.

Comment

What are the limits for "manicuring" a spot in PHL? I'm not talking about cutting down trees but possibly clearing some dead logs or whatnot. What are you allowed to do?

Comment

What are the limits for "manicuring" a spot in PHL? I'm not talking about cutting down trees but possibly clearing some dead logs or whatnot. What are you allowed to do?

Back in the day we used to hold a yearly PHL Hunting meeting at Nails SP. they said we could “trim shooting lanes”. I took that as manicuring a small portion to help with your hunting situation... if they don’t do something about the rag weed I’m gonna haul a shredder down there and take matters into my own hands. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggwild View Post
                                Back in the day we used to hold a yearly PHL Hunting meeting at Nails SP. they said we could “trim shooting lanes”. I took that as manicuring a small portion to help with your hunting situation... if they don’t do something about the rag weed I’m gonna haul a shredder down there and take matters into my own hands. Lol

That's exactly what I was getting at. I'm thinking about taking a scythe down there and clearing some spots. Didn't know if that was legal.

Comment

Working...
                                X