Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 10-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX, North TX, & SE Oklahoma
Default Encountered a First

Some will agree and some will disagree, but for reasons of principle, I have refused to wear a mask since this mess started. I have eaten at dozens of restaurants and went in countless stores (most with mask signs), and have yet to encounter one place that has said anything to me about not wearing one... until today. My son had a mop on his head and his days without a haircut were over. We left church and I searched for the nearest SportsClips since my barber shop is closed on Sunday's. We walk in and the lady asked if we had a mask. I politely responded no ma'am. She said we can provide you with one. I told her that I appreciate that but I do not wear them. She said they were required so we left... We had barely got back in the truck and the lady came running out telling us that it is ok, that we have a "condition" that prevents us from wearing them...wink wink. After all of these months, that is the first place that has said one word about no mask, and in the end did not deny service. I noticed other guys walking in after me with a mask but after looking at me, they took it off. Has anyone that doesn't wear them actually had anyone deny them service?
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
Death from Above
Pope & Young

I went into local flooring establishment to cut them a deposit on a 15k job.

The grief over a mask cost them them my business...

I wear a mask everyday at work and have non problem doing so, but when you play gesto about it...nope!
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

I had a parts store they tried to make me wear one . I refused and took my business elsewhere .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #4
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Went to Harbor Freight today without a mask. Was approached and advised they require them and offered me on. In their defense, Lubbock has swelled into a hotspot. I don’t normally wear one, but I’m also not going to be a pain for a store manager enforcing policy that has been forced on him over a $20 log splitter
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2020, 01:49 PM   #5
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Only one, Dozier's BBQ in Fulshear denied me service because I didnt have a mask. I argued politely with the HMIC just to make my point but he didnt relent. We spent more time discussing the subject than it would have taken for them to complete the sale. As dumb as this mask requirement is, their place their rules just like no shoes no shirt no service. I was just going in to buy a beer so I went a block down to the coner stow.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2020, 05:11 PM   #6
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

Early on during this stupidity a lady that works for SPECS liquor screamed at me when I walked in "sir you have to wear a mask" and I told her no I have a medical condition(wink)and I just kept walking and got what I needed.. A week later the store was closed due to an employee having "covid". It stayed closed for 3 weeks..
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 06:37 AM   #7
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Yep, Proud Pie in Katy. Even after I said I am unable to wear them, can I order and go stand outside, they said we can't serve you.

So they have been scratched off my list to go to ever again. Sad because they have some of the best Ethiopian coffee I've ever had.
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 07:14 AM   #8
Zjesse22
Six Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

In the RGV it’s hard to get around without a mask no one really lets you into their establishment, it was a major hotspot a while back and mainly due to people thinking the virus was a joke. I wear a mask 12-14 hrs a day and after work I carry mine with me as well do I like it? No, but am I gonna argue or act like a brat because I’m told to wear one? No. Everyone has opinions but not until you have gotten the virus may your pint of view change about wearing a mask.
Zjesse22 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #9
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX, North TX, & SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zjesse22 View Post
In the RGV itís hard to get around without a mask no one really lets you into their establishment, it was a major hotspot a while back and mainly due to people thinking the virus was a joke. I wear a mask 12-14 hrs a day and after work I carry mine with me as well do I like it? No, but am I gonna argue or act like a brat because Iím told to wear one? No. Everyone has opinions but not until you have gotten the virus may your pint of view change about wearing a mask.
I had it...bad. I was down for 3 weeks and it was the sickest I've ever been. I probably should have been in the hospital at one point but I'm too hard headed I guess. It did not change my opinion at all about masks. I wouldn't argue or act like a brat. I was respectful and polite but at the same time let them know that I would go elsewhere if they were going to try to enforce that.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 08:15 AM   #10
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
Went to Harbor Freight today without a mask. Was approached and advised they require them and offered me on. In their defense, Lubbock has swelled into a hotspot. I donít normally wear one, but Iím also not going to be a pain for a store manager enforcing policy that has been forced on him over a $20 log splitter
This. Itís not that hard. As a fishing guide, I required life jackets in my boat while running. Iím probably the only one that did. But, itís my boat and Iím responsible for the safety of my customers. If I had a customer that refused, either the boat stayed on the bank until he relented, or he stayed on the bank.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 09:44 AM   #11
friscopaint
Ten Point

Gas station in Whitesboro wouldn't let in without mask, was gonna fill truck and grab a 30 pack, approx. $70 sale so drove off and spent it in Collinsville and won't go back there ever again. Not only lost that $70 sale but all future sales there from me. It's their decision to require masks and my decision to spend my money elsewhere. I won't argue, it's their right as a business and my right as a customer to choose where to spend my dollars.
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 09:50 AM   #12
Looney Tatonka
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Wonder what all these mask enforcers are going to think when this cold front lets them see their breath coming out of their masks?
Looney Tatonka is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 09:51 AM   #13
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
Went to Harbor Freight today without a mask. Was approached and advised they require them and offered me on. In their defense, Lubbock has swelled into a hotspot. I donít normally wear one, but Iím also not going to be a pain for a store manager enforcing policy that has been forced on him over a $20 log splitter
Sorry to interrupt y'all's black panther party, but can we get a review on the log splitter.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:30 AM   #14
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

I've only had one encounter where they didn't refuse to serve me sans mask & that was early in the AM in La Joya on the way to bird hunt in the quickie mart...I was with the Fed GW who was armed.

Other than that it's the mask nazis everywhere down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zjesse22 View Post
In the RGV itís hard to get around without a mask no one really lets you into their establishment
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:40 AM   #15
SabineHunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Early on during this stupidity a lady that works for SPECS liquor screamed at me when I walked in "sir you have to wear a mask" and I told her no I have a medical condition(wink)and I just kept walking and got what I needed.. A week later the store was closed due to an employee having "covid". It stayed closed for 3 weeks..
So, you're okay with lying, correct? (wink)

SH
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #16
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
This. Itís not that hard. As a fishing guide, I required life jackets in my boat while running. Iím probably the only one that did. But, itís my boat and Iím responsible for the safety of my customers. If I had a customer that refused, either the boat stayed on the bank until he relented, or he stayed on the bank.
But a life jacket is law and it CAN save a life.
A mask is not law and they can't/won't save anybody.. Especially the junk 99% of most are wearing..
Old 10-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #17
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineHunter View Post
So, you're okay with lying, correct? (wink)

SH
We're did I lie?
Old 10-26-2020, 10:49 AM   #18
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
A mask is not law and they can't/won't save anybody.. Especially the junk 99% of most are wearing..
Wearing a life jacket is not a law. Having one on the boat is a law. Iím not advocating for the mask, only stating that itís not that difficult to put one on in a business that requests it. Itís a simple matter of respecting a business ownerís request.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #19
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

Yesterday at Elgin Smokehouse the lady at the register asked me if I had a mask. I told her no. She said I needed one according to Local and State orders. I told her no I did not that under local, state orders and the ADA I do not have to wear one due medical exemption. She asked if it would be cash or card. Food sucked BTW
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 11:02 AM   #20
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Yes been denied in a few places. Local DQ, one of the local McCallisters and most recently in FT Collins Co Culvers. Promptly told them I would go elsewhere and I did. They don't want my money then I am not going to give it to them.
westtexducks is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 11:27 AM   #21
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Quote:
Wearing a life jacket is not a law. Having one on the boat is a law. Iím not advocating for the mask, only stating that itís not that difficult to put one on in a business that requests it. Itís a simple matter of respecting a business ownerís request.
The life vest analogy is actually one of the best. The ONLY difference, a life vest will save a persons life, and no one can say that wearing one is harmful to your health. A mask can seriously harm a person. We are seeing studies now of people inhaling particles embedded in these masks. Once those particles get into the lungs, they never come out. And we know this could lead to serious complications down the road.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:05 PM   #22
Zjesse22
Six Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

People can take their business elsewhere and someone else will come and give them their money to eat or buy there I honestly don’t think one person not wanting to do business with someone/ business because of a mask really matters to them. I know I wouldn’t on to the next one!
Zjesse22 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #23
DOUBLE-Z
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wheeler & Hemphill

I’m anti mask, but I don’t get why it’s such a big deal... it’s not personal. And unless it’s a mom and pop store, the people working aren’t making the rules. I don’t wear a mask anywhere and I haven’t been asked to leave. If they ask, I would leave. It’s a businesses right to refuse me service. I have been in offices for an appointment where masks were required, I tried to talk them out of it and they brought me a mask anyways, so I politely wore it.
DOUBLE-Z is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 01:58 PM   #24
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

went into McD in Kingsville this morning placed my order and while the gal was making my coffee the guy brings my order over along with a mask and said "you need to put this on". I politely said no thanks and laid it back onto the counter, got my coffee and left.
he didn't say nothing when I told him no thanks.
stickerpatch59 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 03:55 PM   #25
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

Just one... Pops chicken in Lindale. And I am anti mask so I took my business down to a better restaurant anyways.
dclifton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #26
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

I haven't worn a mask since this silliness started. I've only been turned away from a business once, in Galveston, back in June. But I've had three other mild encounters/confrontations that resulted in receiving service without a mask, after being told I was "required."

There are a lot of moving parts that go into someone confronting you about not "complying," the least of which is that he/she are just "doing their job."

The whole thing is a sham, and it's sickening how quickly--without resistance--the masses just folded without question.
EarleyBird is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 05:45 PM   #27
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

The next time anyone at an eating establishment tells you that you need a mask on just tell them to act like you are setting at the table eating!!!!

This is some of the dumbest $h!t that I have ever seen!!!!!! Unreal... SMH..
Old 10-26-2020, 05:57 PM   #28
BigJimmyRustler
Ten Point

Hunt In: McCulloch

Quote:
Your business. Your rules. We should accept that.

I have a question though. Do you tell customers of the stipulation beforehand (ie. when booking) or spring it on them the morning of a trip?
BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 06:26 PM   #29
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
Your business. Your rules. We should accept that.

I have a question though. Do you tell customers of the stipulation beforehand (ie. when booking) or spring it on them the morning of a trip?
Does it matter?
Old 10-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #30
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Don't have a place yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Sorry to interrupt y'all's black panther party, but can we get a review on the log splitter.
Nothing like good log splitter review in the middle of a mask wearing gripe session!
AlaskaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 06:45 PM   #31
Laszlo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

If I was a fishing guide, or any other kind of guide for that matter, **** right I would require life vests unless you sign a waiver. Last thing I would need is a distraught wife and/or family suing me if the client drowned, got injured, or otherwise.

My boat, my rules.
Laszlo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 06:48 PM   #32
EarleyBird
Ten Point

Hunt In: Home

Quote:
Does it matter?
Absolutely, it does.

According to Karen, his business is legally responsible if someone drowns without a life jacket. So anybody who fishes with him and then gets the COVID, he's on the hook and can be sued into oblivion.
EarleyBird is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 07:19 PM   #33
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarleyBird View Post
Absolutely, it does.

According to Karen, his business is legally responsible if someone drowns without a life jacket. So anybody who fishes with him and then gets the COVID, he's on the hook and can be sued into oblivion.
Exactly!!!!
Old 10-26-2020, 07:43 PM   #34
cashcropper
Ten Point

I don't agree with masks. But,in our area most businesses require them. Most people working in these businesses are not the owners. I will wear one to keep from giving the salesperson grief. Chances are the salesperson didn't make the rule,why give them a hard time because you don't want to wear one. If it bothers you that bad just take your business somewhere else.
cashcropper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 08:06 PM   #35
super_dave
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West Texas

Yep. Red Robin. Yummmmmm. The Baybrook location. We turned around and walked out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
super_dave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 08:34 PM   #36
BigJimmyRustler
Ten Point

Quote:
Does it matter?
Of course it does. If you didn't tell me and started imposing silly arbitrary rules upon arrival I'd leave.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2020, 08:53 PM   #37
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Of course it does. If you didn't tell me and started imposing silly arbitrary rules upon arrival I'd leave.

What is silly about requiring life jackets?
Old 10-26-2020, 09:02 PM   #38
BigJimmyRustler
Ten Point

Quote:

What is silly about requiring life jackets?
I'm an adult and can make decisions like that on my own.
What about helmets?
What about Ray guards?
What about bringing food? Wouldn't want anyone's glucose getting low lol

Old 10-26-2020, 09:09 PM   #39
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
What about helmets?
What about Ray guards?

What would my customers on Lake Fork need helmets for? We donít have rays, so no need for ray guards. Food is always decided upon prior to leaving the launch site.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:23 PM   #40
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
What about helmets?
What about Ray guards?

Even though youíre an adult, and can make decisions like this on your own, you canít on my boat. But, you can decide to stay on the bank. I get paid regardless.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:41 PM   #41
BigJimmyRustler
Ten Point

Quote:
Even though youíre an adult, and can make decisions like this on your own, you canít on my boat. But, you can decide to stay on the bank. I get paid regardless.
Hence why I asked if you let people know beforehand. If you don't its pretty ****ty. I'd have my CC company charge back so it wouldn't be my money.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:52 PM   #42
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Hence why I asked if you let people know beforehand. If you don't its pretty ****ty. I'd have my CC company charge back so it wouldn't be my money.

Thatís why I donít take Credit cards.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:46 AM   #43
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:

I used life jackets in my boat as an analogy, and somehow youíve turned it into me being ****ty. Good for you.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:09 AM   #44
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
I used life jackets in my boat as an analogy, and somehow youíve turned it into me being ****ty. Good for you.
The point was do you tell people they have to wear a PFD before they hand over money?

It's like a going guided hunting in Idaho with a rifle, getting there and the guide telling you oh by the way, that you have to wear blaze orange even though the law says you don't.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:16 AM   #45
friscopaint
Ten Point

I can still breathe in a life jacket, unless it's a medium...….I don't wear a mask except to the casino and then it's a cloth one that's around my neck all the time because I'm immune to covid because I'm drinking beer.....I wear one in because it's their rules and I want to go in there. If they were Nazi's about it while in there then different story. Where I'm at, Texoma area, very few people wear masks and only 1 gas station we went to said we had to so we left and went right down the street and gave them our money.
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 07:23 AM   #46
JMKro
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby, TX

An issue is being made out of a fishing guide requiring his clients to wear life jackets (that I'm sure he provides) while he's RUNNING, because he didn't tell them about it beforehand? If that's such an inconvenience for someone that they would cancel the trip, they shouldn't be going fishing in the first place. God forbid they'd have to touch an "icky" fish...

Last edited by JMKro; 10-27-2020 at 07:37 AM.
JMKro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 07:41 AM   #47
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
The point was do you tell people they have to wear a PFD before they hand over money?

It's like a going guided hunting in Idaho with a rifle, getting there and the guide telling you oh by the way, that you have to wear blaze orange even though the law says you don't.
Again, does it matter? In 37 years the overall response when I put jackets in the seats, was ďDo we need to put these on?Ē, and my reply as I put mine I was ď I would appreciate itĒ. You guys are giving me more grief than all my customers combined have. Safety be ****ed, yíall go ahead and stick to your ď nobodyís gonna make me do anything I donít want toĒ attitude. Iím gonna make my and business owners life easy and wear a mask if requested.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:46 AM   #48
BigJimmyRustler
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKro View Post
An issue is being made out of a fishing guide requiring his clients to wear life jackets (that I'm sure he provides) while he's RUNNING, because he didn't tell them about it beforehand? If that's such an inconvenience for someone that they would cancel the trip, they shouldn't be going fishing in the first place. God forbid they'd have to touch an "icky" fish...
Again, the point is that he imposes mandatory made up safety rules on other grown adults without prior agreement. I've been on countless guide trips and charters and the next time a captain forces me to wear a PFD will be the first. I already stated that its his business, his boat and his rules but it'd be nice to know them beforehand.

What else would I be in for the rest of the day if I haven't even left the launch and someone's already ordering me what to do regarding my own safety?
Bait a hook or unhook a fish? Hooks are dangerous, gotta leave it to the pro.
Handle your own fish? They have teeth and spines, professionals only.
Casting? Someone could get snagged, better leave to Capt.
We might swap ends & have someone go over? Better strap on a helmet.
Thinking about going out without sunscreen? Yeah right. Someone could get a sunburn or skin cancer. Don't want to be liable for that!

He even said customers ask if they have to wear a PFD. You think they ask him for fun?
No, they ask because they don't want to wear one and want to know if it's optional or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKro View Post
God forbid they'd have to touch an "icky" fish...
Looks at avatar....

Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 10-27-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:18 AM   #49
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Again, the point is that he imposes mandatory made up safety rules on other grown adults without prior agreement.
This is my whole point. If I was a guide, I would require them too. BUT, not disclosing that up front now puts a fisherman in a position where they have already shelled out money they can't get back if they refuse.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #50
jrfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan co.

Maybe the person booking the trip should ask if any safety equipment is required. When you go to Six flags do you give them grief about putting the lap bar down when riding the roller coaster because it infringes on your ability to make your own safety decisions? I hate wearing mask and life jackets too but wear them both when asked to or it is required.
jrfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top