F250 AC Blower Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F250 AC Blower Problems

I have a 2012 F250 and yesterday my AC blower quit in the middle of my trip home. Nothing worked - AC, vent, defrost, etc. This morning when I got in the truck it started working again. There still seems to be issues though. It blows on low, then I turn it to about medium without much change, then changing to high works. Going a click down with the fan speed seems to drop it to medium or lower. I've looked online but can't seem to find anything like this.

Any thoughts on what this could be?

And just to beat the "trade it in for this brand of vehicle" crowd, no.

I had the same issue on my 08. The fan was situated behind the glove compartment. I would tap this area with a small hammer and off it would go. Did this for months until I had to eventually replace the fan motor.

Comment

Replace the fan motor before you burn up the plug..................

Comment

I would replace both the fan motor and blower resistor. Having a blower motor that is going out will cause a high resistance in the resistor. If you don't do it now, you will be doing it later.

Comment

Yep like others said resistor in blower fan is probably bad. Ive got one in my service truck i need to fix. I just keep forgetting. And yes they will do weird intermittent stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
            Yep like others said resistor in blower fan is probably bad. Ive got one in my service truck i need to fix. I just keep forgetting. And yes they will do weird intermittent stuff.
            Is the resistor a separate part from the blower fan or is it on the new fan?

Comment

Originally posted by Scotsman 1 View Post
              I had the same issue on my 08. The fan was situated behind the glove compartment. I would tap this area with a small hammer and off it would go. Did this for months until I had to eventually replace the fan motor.
              This is spot on....I had two company f250s and both did this. Tap on it and it will work for a while then will go out completely. Mechanic changed the blower on both trucks and never had issues again. I drove around lots of dust ect which he said can cause this.

Comment

Had an f150 that did this, changed the blower motor resistor and all was good

Comment

I would bet it's either the blower motor, or the blower motor resistor. The fact it quit, then started working after it cooled off, would seem more like a blower motor. But could be a result of a melted plug on the blower motor resistor, or even the blower motor switch. But it could be more than one problem also. Could be a blower motor that is drawing too many amps, over heating the blower motor resistor and or switch, resulting in a melted plug and or resistor or switch. I would say blower motor definitely, then probably check the other two, to make sure nothing is melted.

Comment

Well, I got a blower ordered and installed over the weekend. Everything works now, but I'm never doing that again. Holy crap was that a pain.

Thanks for the info on this.

Comment

Originally posted by apc10 View Post
                      Well, I got a blower ordered and installed over the weekend. Everything works now, but I'm never doing that again. Holy crap was that a pain.

Thanks for the info on this.
                      You might change your mind when a shop quotes the job for you.

Comment

Easy fix. Same happened to me. It's rarely the motor. The male connector pins are loose in the female terminals on the resistor pack. This is why those say they can tap the motor and it starts working. Actually if you just wiggle the harness it will likely start working.
                        Replace the resistor if it looks burnt and then with needle nose pliers put a small bend in the male terminal in the connector together so they lock tighter in the female terminals. Not so much that they won't line up. I bent mine where they had a little crook in the center of the pin. That was 3 years ago and still works good.
                        Or you can buy aftermarket connector and splice it in. They are readily available due to this common and known problem. Plenty of youtube vids on it.
                        Or you can put it in the shop and they will change the motor, resistor, and connector but it will be expensive.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Replaced my blower motor resistor last week on my 2011 f150 King Ranch. YouTube, Autozone and $65 and 30 minutes and it’s fixed.
                          My blower was working but no speed adjustment.

Comment

Working...
                          X