Age, without seeing antlers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age, without seeing antlers?

I am only asking so I can learn how to better judge the age of a deer. This buck is low fence, free range deer with no corn or protein currently being fed.
    This buck looks to be 3-4 years old, based on his belly and neck. What other features should I look at? The base of his antlers? The dewlap at his brisket? (BTW - I didn't crop the photo at all, this is how it was taken by the camera.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	10-12-20_Buck.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	25227397
    Last edited by Pistol; 10-14-2020, 09:43 PM.

He's older than 3 or 4, closer to 6/7. That little chin flap gives it away. You won't see a deer 5 or younger with one.

Comment

Comment

Sway of the back, size and shape of the head. Agree with the others, he is an older deer

Comment

Let's count the ways. Roman nose, short face,, full neck/brisket, short legs, some sway in the back, and some sag in the belly, equals 7.5

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            Let's count the ways. Roman nose, short face,, full neck/brisket, short legs, some sway in the back, and some sag in the belly, equals 7.5
            Good analysis.

Comment

Agreed...7.5

Comment

Can’t guess exact age, but looks “mature” to me. For reference this is my target buck this season. He’s KNOWN min. 7.5. They have a lot in common
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  Very helpful! Can you expand on "Roman Nose" vs. non roman nose. And chin flap I assume is related. I have a bunch of what, to me, are clearly very mature bucks on my property but I still don't know all the things to look for - an more importantly one vs. the other. I.e. "this is a mature back shape". "this is not" photos...

Comment

Roman nose is a hump from tip to brow.

Comment

That deer is way older then 3.5 lol. 5.5 mimimum with that head, brisket, and neck size. Safely would say 5.5/6.5

Either way mature

Comment

This is a really good chart.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          That deer is way older then 3.5 lol. 5.5 mimimum with that head, brisket, and neck size. Safely would say 5.5/6.5

Either way mature
                          I agree with this. I don't think 7.5, but it is just one picture so its very hard to tell. I think if he was 7+ in a pic like that there would be more obvious loose skin along the chin and brisket.

Comment

pictures annotated

So what y'all are telling me, these are the areas to consider?

Name:	10-12-20_Buck.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	24633581

Name:	10-12-20_Buck_LI.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	24633582

Comment

Another indicator I like to use is the size of the front shoulders. They get bigger as they mature and eventually rival the size of the hindquarters.

Comment

Working...
                              X