Spoiled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoiled?

Admin if this isn't the right place for this, sorry, please move it.

So, I shot a doe at sundown, around 6PM. I got down to track her and jumped some does out of a thicket really close by. I thought it was her, they were blowing at me so I backed out. The arrow was a pass through, good blood, smelt fine, thought maybe I liver shot her. She was quartered away from me facing away, shot high and back on my side, came out a few inches behind the shoulder on the other side midline. Met my buddy at our meeting place, decided to go back to camp and have dinner then go back. Went back, tracked tell after midnight and couldn't find anything, we marked last blood. It got down into the 50's degrees that night. I went back first thing in the morning and found her not far at all from last blood. She was dead within a 100 yards of the shot, she was dead all night. I flipped her over, blood bubbled out of the exit wound and it smelt bad. I field dressed her and quartered her, no gut shot, everything still in tact. I got her back to camp and on ice around 10 AM. So, I would say from the time of shot to ice was around 16 hours or so. I saved the backstrap, all of the front quarters, but I cut ALOT of meat out of the rear quarters. The meat itself smells fine, this is my first experience with this, but I am worried the meat wont be good. I took it to the processor, had them turn it all into a mild breakfast sausage grind 40% pork fat. What is the longest you've recovered a deer and still ate it?
    Last edited by firemedic731; 10-12-2020, 03:08 PM.

I would judge it by the color and smell. With lows in the 50s and the fact she wasn’t gutted to let her cool off, I’d think the meat would be bad. If it smells when your cooking, is definitely toss it!

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
      I would judge it by the color and smell. With lows in the 50s and the fact she wasn’t gutted to let her cool off, I’d think the meat would be bad. If it smells when your cooking, is definitely toss it!
      the color of the meat was fine, until I had it on ice anyways and it got some water on it, it started to grey a little on the surface after a day, but I cut all that away. I only saved about 22 pounds to grind, I got unfortunately wasted a lot of it. I didn't take any of the neck or rib meat.

Comment

16 hours with the guts in it probably gone bad but taking it to a processor is the reason I will not use a processor

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
          16 hours with the guts in it probably gone bad but taking it to a processor is the reason I will not use a processor
          Exactly

Comment

I bet the meat is fine. My friends and I have killed plenty in the evening that we couldn't find until the next morning with highs around 100 and lows in the mid 50's and never had any issues. Most people think wild game spoils a lot faster then it does.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
              alright, **** AKA richard, well at least this processor gives you your own deer back so no one else will have to worry about it. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Spoiled?

This is the way I was taught. I’m just not going to risk it. I’m sure that makes me a girl or a p***y, but not worth it to me. I’ve been called worse. Y’all do
                what you want with yours.

The key to obtaining top-quality venison starts the very moment you pull the trigger or release an arrow. Here's how to stop venison from going bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                  This is the way I was taught. I’m just not going to risk it. I’m sure that makes me a girl or a p***y, but not worth it to me. I’ve been called worse. Y’all do
                  what you want with yours.

The key to obtaining top-quality venison starts the very moment you pull the trigger or release an arrow. Here's how to stop venison from going bad.

Well, obviously I made the effort and if given the choice, I wouldn't have let her lay all night. **** happens, anyone who has never had difficulty tracking a deer or lost one has either not hunted long enough with a bow or never hunted outside of their back 40. I hiked a mile and half in, then back, then in and back and in and back. I put in 9 miles. This to me is more like back country hunting. I hiked a mile and half into the woods and across a creek on public land to bag this deer, it simply isn't the same as walking across your manicured food plot and sitting in your redneck blind. I was asking for advice from others who have experienced similar issues, not to be chastised by some righteous *****.

Comment

Cook some of it. If it stinks don’t eat it. Not an ideal situation but it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The meat is fine. Real meat develops a grey color when put on ice...the red color is added to processed meat to make it satisfying to look at. You probably threw away good meat. Bad meat smells bad from the start (before it is iced). If the blood bubbled when you turned her, that was just trapped air escaping with blood that was not fully coagulated.

I say with 99% certainty, you fine. Eat and enjoy and know that one was A LOT of work. Maybe the next one will be easy.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

Spoiled?

Originally posted by firemedic731 View Post

Well, obviously I made the effort and if given the choice, I wouldn't have let her lay all night. **** happens, anyone who has never had difficulty tracking a deer or lost one has either not hunted long enough with a bow or never hunted outside of their back 40. I hiked a mile and half in, then back, then in and back and in and back. I put in 9 miles. This to me is more like back country hunting. I hiked a mile and half into the woods and across a creek on public land to bag this deer, it simply isn't the same as walking across your manicured food plot and sitting in your redneck blind. I was asking for advice from others who have experienced similar issues, not to be chastised by some righteous *****.

Wound a little tight and full of assumptions. Life’s too short. Sometimes advice comes from people you won’t agree with. So you do you, Steve Rinella Jr..
                        Lmao. “Manicured food plot”. You’re silly.
                        Cool story though. It’s really irrelevant where it was shot, it’s entirely dependent on temperatures and time left. I gave an opinion,
                        It’s ok if you don’t agree. We will survive.

Last edited by Graysonhogs; 10-12-2020, 07:00 PM.

Comment

I bet your fun to be around at a campfire.

Comment

I think you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                              Wound a little tight and full of assumptions. Life’s too short. Sometimes advice comes from people you won’t agree with. So you do you, Steve Rinella Jr..
                              Lmao. “Manicured food plot”. You’re silly.
                              Cool story though. It’s really irrelevant where it was shot, it’s entirely dependent on temperatures and time left. I gave an opinion,
                              It’s ok if you don’t agree. We will survive.

I understand that I'm not always going to like what I hear, and that I am going to make mistakes as I am not always right. I am willing to accept CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. What I was asking for was advice and experience, not for someone to just make nasty comments about why they don't go to a processor. That added nothing of value to the conversation, shared no experience or story, taught me nothing and inferred that you are somehow superior to others. I am a follower here, not a leader, and I am looking for advice, not condescension.

Comment

Working...
                              X