No announcement yet.

1947 International KB5 Frame Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, didn't really expect such an overflowing of feedback. Didn't get around to working on the Dakota this past weekend--had to do a timing belt/water pump on wife's van.

Hoping to get back to it this week. To answer a few questions: No rear duallies with the swap. The cab and front end are actually fairly light, so the dakota should be able to handle it fine. I actually have no idea what tire size I will use to fill the wheel well on the KB5. I have experimented with some 22 inch rims, but will just have to wait and see. The tire diameter of the originals were around 35 inches.

Comment

Looks like a great project. Also wondering how you picked the Dodge. Have you seen it done before or was it the only one available? what motor is in the dodge?

Comment

Lots of folks use S10 frames for frame swaps on the old truck, because believe it or not, our full size trucks of today are much larger than those of the 40s and 50s. However, if you go the S10 route of some of these trucks, the stance is a bit narrow. So, there is a line of folks that have been using the Dakotas since they are a mid-size between full size and compact truck frames. I liked the wider stance of the dakota, my son found a cheap dakota locally, and that was the decision matrix I used.

And there are several groups on Facebook that show the dakota swap, along with others.

Mine has a 5.2l V8 and auto trans with AC. Gotta have AC here in Texas....

Comment

I look forward to following along! Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

With enough time & money, anything can be grafted onto anything else. There's a guy in Australia working on putting a '48 Willys Pickup onto an '08 Grand Cherokee body pan and drive train (Hemi).
            Grandwillys Project It's a 10+ year endeavor, but lot's of body panel shaping. Good read for some motivation.

I love the look of the older trucks like yours. I think it's awesome that you're saving it and plan to drive it. Never did consider myself a "stock" kind of guy so I really like projects.

I'm in for the build!

Comment

Old cab on late model frame?

Never heard of such.....
              Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
              l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
              ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Thanks. I have taken some heat from the purists that say I am messing up a good thing and should restore it. The truck restored would top out around 45-50 and would be lacking in the steering/suspension/braking department to me--but that is just me. I did restore a 1942 Willys MB and drove it for years with similar issues of top speed/steering/suspension/braking.

With this it will be a project--but doable. I guess anything is doable if you have an angle grinder, welder, and a big tube of caulk....and determination.

Comment

Build it! Don't worry about what others think.
                  Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                  l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                  ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Awesome. I’m in for this

Comment

I think its a helluva good idea!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kmack View Post
                        With enough time & money, anything can be grafted onto anything else. There's a guy in Australia working on putting a '48 Willys Pickup onto an '08 Grand Cherokee body pan and drive train (Hemi).
                        Grandwillys Project It's a 10+ year endeavor, but lot's of body panel shaping. Good read for some motivation.

I love the look of the older trucks like yours. I think it's awesome that you're saving it and plan to drive it. Never did consider myself a "stock" kind of guy so I really like projects.

I'm in for the build!
                        Thanks for the link. That’s the best build thread I’ve ever seen. Mad skills at a whole other level.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                          Thanks for the link. That’s the best build thread I’ve ever seen. Mad skills at a whole other level.
                          No doubt. What an undertaking! Great work. Just spent 45 minutes going through it. You don’t spell like you are from College Station. Where is the motherland?

Comment

^Lol

Cool thread, OP. Following along.

Comment

You can drop a mild cam and a 4 barrel carb on a dodge 318 and make it a pretty stout lil motor. Friend of mine that works out at TMS has a 1933 Dodge Pu that he restored and put a 318 4 barrel and cam and that little buggy hauls pretty good. Fine lookin machine too.
                              I don't know what can be easily done with an injected 318 other than cam and headers.

Comment

Originally posted by hboy35 View Post
                                Lots of folks use S10 frames for frame swaps on the old truck, because believe it or not, our full size trucks of today are much larger than those of the 40s and 50s. However, if you go the S10 route of some of these trucks, the stance is a bit narrow. So, there is a line of folks that have been using the Dakotas since they are a mid-size between full size and compact truck frames. I liked the wider stance of the dakota, my son found a cheap dakota locally, and that was the decision matrix I used.

And there are several groups on Facebook that show the dakota swap, along with others.

Mine has a 5.2l V8 and auto trans with AC. Gotta have AC here in Texas....
                                Makes sense. Can't wait to see it transform.

Comment

Working...
                                X