Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #1
gburk
Four Point

Default LRGV Teniente 2020

Havenít seen a thread for this so here goes.

Any other tbhers get drawn for this hunt?

My sons and I will be there for the December hunt.. anyone have any words of wisdom on what to bring, where to stay, etc?

How does it compare with Laguna archery?

Thanks!
gburk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In camo

Doesn’t come close to Laguna in awesomeness. But it is just as hard. Crazy thick brush all over pretty much. Only the lake flats were open areas and a couple Senderos that had been cut when I hunted there two season ago. Stay in Raymondville, only a 15-20 minute drive. A bike is pretty useless there unless you hunt on the west side off only bikeable road. Prepare to sit all day for sure. I saw 15-20 nilgai total and about a dozen whitetail. Killed a small 3pt on the 2nd to last day doing some spot and stalk hunting on the east side near the hunt area border. Lot of luck involved in killing that deer for sure. No cleaning station or check in, kill something, field dress, quarter and pack out to the road.

And by all means make sure, yo I don’t have any alcohol or corn or anything deer feed related in your vehicle. The rangers will check your truck too many times and ticket you for everything.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2020, 06:47 PM   #3
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

Itís a fun but challenging hunt and like mentioned above very thick. I hunted a few days and saw several wt does, 1 giant Nilgai bull but no shot and several cows which I blew 2 different stalks on.

[/QUOTEAnd by all means make sure, yo I donít have any alcohol or corn or anything deer feed related in your vehicle. The rangers will check your truck too many times and ticket you for everything.[/QUOTE]

Yep I made the stupid mistake and $375 dollars later I learned that the federal game warden I was lucky enough to meet fit the stereotype...
TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2020, 06:52 PM   #4
MasterOfNothing
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr county

Well nobody responded to my thread in the beginning of Sept. Ill be there Dec 10th-13th archery. Looking forward to it. When are your drawn?
MasterOfNothing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-26-2020, 11:04 PM   #5
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
Itís a fun but challenging hunt and like mentioned above very thick. I hunted a few days and saw several wt does, 1 giant Nilgai bull but no shot and several cows which I blew 2 different stalks on.

[/QUOTEAnd by all means make sure, yo I donít have any alcohol or corn or anything deer feed related in your vehicle. The rangers will check your truck too many times and ticket you for everything.
Yep I made the stupid mistake and $375 dollars later I learned that the federal game warden I was lucky enough to meet fit the stereotype...[/QUOTE]

I remember when that happened. I believe it was the same hunt as to when I was there.
When I was cleaning my little buck, I had a huge dark black/blue bull come walking in on me about 60-70 yards away. Knew it happen so I had my bow ready to go but he saw me before I saw him. Probably one is the biggest bulls Iíve seen between there and Laguna.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:57 PM   #6
mocephus
Four Point

Hunt In: Del Rio, Laguna Atascosa, Teniente Tract, and anywhere I'm invited

December 17 - 20. Received intel that county roads are drop off points for illegal aliens as they walk north in the brush until they get north of the checkpoint on 77. Long trek for sure but the foot traffic can either stir some animals or they can mess it up for you if you are at full draw on a nilgai or a good WT. Good luck.
mocephus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2020, 01:14 AM   #7
gburk
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
Doesnít come close to Laguna in awesomeness. But it is just as hard. Crazy thick brush all over pretty much. Only the lake flats were open areas and a couple Senderos that had been cut when I hunted there two season ago. Stay in Raymondville, only a 15-20 minute drive. A bike is pretty useless there unless you hunt on the west side off only bikeable road. Prepare to sit all day for sure. I saw 15-20 nilgai total and about a dozen whitetail. Killed a small 3pt on the 2nd to last day doing some spot and stalk hunting on the east side near the hunt area border. Lot of luck involved in killing that deer for sure. No cleaning station or check in, kill something, field dress, quarter and pack out to the road.

And by all means make sure, yo I donít have any alcohol or corn or anything deer feed related in your vehicle. The rangers will check your truck too many times and ticket you for everything.
10-4 sounds like a good number of animals but the brush will be tough

I hate the hardass federale bit, will be careful about that, thanks for heads up

Iím assuming the bikeable road is county line rd, but based on the satellite it looks like Rowland and others are ok on a bike too. Not so?

Good job on the kill!
Old 09-27-2020, 01:17 AM   #8
gburk
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfNothing View Post
Well nobody responded to my thread in the beginning of Sept. Ill be there Dec 10th-13th archery. Looking forward to it. When are your drawn?
Same one, hope to meet you down there!
Old 09-27-2020, 01:25 AM   #9
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gburk View Post
10-4 sounds like a good number of animals but the brush will be tough

I hate the hardass federale bit, will be careful about that, thanks for heads up

Iím assuming the bikeable road is county line rd, but based on the satellite it looks like Rowland and others are ok on a bike too. Not so?

Good job on the kill!
No county line is a main road to drive your truck on. CR 30, Scale rd and county line are all the main roads to drive on with CR 3750 being the end of the hunting grounds. The bikeable road I was referring to is off county line though. Big gate with a limestone/caliche road that leads up to a big tank that had water in it. You can see it in the map pretty easy

Def a good number of animals but you gotta be looking hard for them. I saw tons of good signs throughout the entire hunt area.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:27 AM   #10
gburk
Four Point

Ok got it... we’ll bring bikes. Thanks again.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:07 AM   #11
Txfire409
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation

Imo a bike is not needed as most of the place is walkable. I hunted there two years ago with tx_chicken and found a great spot that was a half mile walk in. You would be hard pressed to find a place that is a farther walk than that thanks to the county roads running thru and around it.
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #12
Phorizt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public land

I hunted last year. Wouldnt bother w a bike imo. Unless you just think a .5-1 mile hike is overwhelming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phorizt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-27-2020, 10:18 PM   #13
gburk
Four Point

Sometimes less than that can be overwhelming lol
Ok I get it now the roads are drivable with a truck so the place gets a lot smaller. I guess that’s one nice thing about Laguna
Old 10-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #14
Benson
Four Point

Hunt In: Starr, Brooks, Cameron, Zapata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txfire409 View Post
ď... a bike is not needed... You would be hard pressed to find a place that is a farther walk than that thanks to the county roads running thru and around it.
Thatís right. Aside from the ďladder shapedĒ county dirt roads, everything else will be high grass. Pedaling in high grass will be challenging. Easier to park and walk it in. They have walk in lanes that may have been mowed recently. But still matted grass from a recent mow will make it difficult to pedal a bike. A bike will probably be more ďin the wayĒ than a benefit. Itís not like Laguna where you have to hike/bike miles to get to your spot. There are some bruiser bucks in there. Good luck!
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #15
Benson
Four Point

This is a couple of county roads over from Teniente on Brushline Rd. Mid December last year around rut time. My brother was patrolling the area and said this guy just stared at him foe a while and walked away without much fanfare. County roads on Teniente are similar and not much farther from where this pic was taken.

Old 10-05-2020, 10:17 PM   #16
gburk
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
This is a couple of county roads over from Teniente on Brushline Rd. Mid December last year around rut time. My brother was patrolling the area and said this guy just stared at him foe a while and walked away without much fanfare. County roads on Teniente are similar and not much farther from where this pic was taken.

That, as they say, is a dandy. Thanks for posting it
Old 10-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #17
ninemile
Spike

gburk I sent you a PM
ninemile is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2020, 08:21 PM   #18
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post

Yes sir, a very nice buck.
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 12:37 PM   #19
gburk
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninemile View Post
gburk I sent you a PM
got it! any way to configure email notifications on this site? had some other messages just sitting there too.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:47 PM   #20
1riot1ranger
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Drawn for February 25 hunt with two sons. Trying to sync up schedules before buying permits. I've hunted Laguna Atascoa several times but this will be the first time for this place.
1riot1ranger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2020, 04:37 PM   #21
Clay6x45
Spike

Hunt In: Public land, Anywhere I can

I drew Teniente November 19-22. I have never been there but looking forward to it. Will be at Laguna Dec 4-8.
Clay6x45 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #22
Extremehunter37
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay6x45 View Post
I drew Teniente November 19-22. I have never been there but looking forward to it. Will be at Laguna Dec 4-8.
Same, Nov 20 is my 35th Birthday and hoping I can connect while down there.
Extremehunter37 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2020, 05:08 PM   #23
Brown E
Four Point

Teniente is much different than LA. Smaller(9K acres), easier to access the main body, more deer will be seen.
Brown E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #24
Clay6x45
Spike

I'm not really interested in whitetail unless I see a monster deer or it's the last day. I'm all in for Nilgai. How does the Nilgai population at Teniente compare to LA?
Old 10-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #25
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Melvin, TX

I was drawn for East Lake Unit November 13-15th. I never been to this unit, even though I hunted Laguna Atascosa several years back
careybirdwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2020, 05:32 PM   #26
geauxgary
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: San Saba; Kansas; Louisiana; Idaho; TPWD

3 of us were drawn for the exotic rifle hunt Jan 28-31. Very excited and looking forward to it. The info on here has been extremely helpful!
geauxgary is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2020, 11:02 AM   #27
Brown E
Four Point

While LA has numbers on the Nilgai, I am not sure that Teniente does. My guess is there are more per square mile than LA but finding them is another matter. Private land around it and some refuge land off limits to hunting make good hiding areas too.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:12 AM   #28
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

On my hunt there a couple season ago, I saw 25-30 Nilgai total on the huntable sections. About half were driving down the roads and others were while hunting. I did see two monster dark blue/black bulls. One riding my bike out on the first afternoon and one at 70 yards while cleaning the deer I had just shot.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:18 AM   #29
Brown E
Four Point

I saw 2 nice bulls last year while bow hunting but did not have a hundred yard pin on the sight.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:20 PM   #30
Clay6x45
Spike

Can you access most areas with a game cart or is a meat pack more appropriate?
Old 10-22-2020, 02:52 PM   #31
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Quote:
Can you access most areas with a game cart or is a meat pack more appropriate?
Where I killed my little buck, I couldíve gotten a cart in there with minimal effort but it wasnít worth my time to walk to the truck then back to my buck. I was about a mile from the truck about 150 yards in the brush off the dry lake area. I field dressed him and stuff him in my pack and walked out. Plus it had rained so the lake bed was a muddy mess and was hard enough to walk in without dragging something.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:54 AM   #32
Clay6x45
Spike

Thanks. Just more 4 more weeks.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:30 AM   #33
Brown E
Four Point

Yes, a cart can access most areas
Old 11-07-2020, 04:32 PM   #34
Benson
Four Point

Quote:
I'm not really interested in whitetail unless I see a monster deer or it's the last day. I'm all in for Nilgai. How does the Nilgai population at Teniente compare to LA?

This guy is from a private ranch adjacent to Teniente on the north side. Just a teaser...

Good luck.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:07 PM   #35
BOW BANDIT
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas and Old Mexico

I have hunted Teniente multiple times and once again we will be there again. these time from Dec 10 -13. 2 of our groups got drawn for that date so there will be 8 of us there. We are still 4 weeks away so we dont plan to far ahead. Rain is always a factor there as it floods with ease. Illegals have become a great problem in recent years so be prepared to have your hunt messed up. as far as the nilgai population all I can say as that it has been reduced due to all the hunts done by the federal govy thru contract shooters to try to bring the numbers down. and all the ranches around hunt year round for them. we know the place very well as some of us are former US Fish and Wildlife employees and that track of land was under our watch. If any one needs some info We are more than happy to help out with that.
BOW BANDIT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2020, 10:28 PM   #36
MasterOfNothing
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOW BANDIT View Post
I have hunted Teniente multiple times and once again we will be there again. these time from Dec 10 -13. 2 of our groups got drawn for that date so there will be 8 of us there. We are still 4 weeks away so we dont plan to far ahead. Rain is always a factor there as it floods with ease. Illegals have become a great problem in recent years so be prepared to have your hunt messed up. as far as the nilgai population all I can say as that it has been reduced due to all the hunts done by the federal govy thru contract shooters to try to bring the numbers down. and all the ranches around hunt year round for them. we know the place very well as some of us are former US Fish and Wildlife employees and that track of land was under our watch. If any one needs some info We are more than happy to help out with that.
I'll be there with you guys Dec. 10th-13, but I'm hunting solo. Its sad to hear the numbers have gone down, Im really looking forward to getting a nilgai.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:29 PM   #37
MasterOfNothing
Ten Point

Quote:
I'll be there with you guys Dec. 10th-13, but I'm hunting solo. Its sad to hear the numbers have gone down, Im really looking forward to getting a nilgai.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:29 PM   #38
MasterOfNothing
Ten Point

Quote:
Old 11-09-2020, 10:33 PM   #39
MasterOfNothing
Ten Point

Quote:
I'll be there Dec 10th-13th as well, but hunting solo. Sad to hear nilgai numbers have gone down. I was looking forward to getting one.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:34 PM   #40
MasterOfNothing
Ten Point

Oops sorry about the triple post^^^^^^
Old 11-09-2020, 11:44 PM   #41
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Bandit, any insight for East Lake unit? My son has a youth hunt there Dec 4-6.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2020, 08:52 PM   #42
BOW BANDIT
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Great dates to hunt..... Info is to long to type so Ill send you my contact info so that we can talk while you look at the maps.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:59 PM   #43
BOW BANDIT
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfNothing View Post
You will have fun .. Still plenty of Nilgai around, If you need any help please feel free to reach out to us.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:06 PM   #44
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Melvin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
I had a hunt at Eastlake this weekend. I got a call today saying that they were moving the hunt to the Schlaben Unit because of the cow tick disease. Good news is the place hasn't been hunted in 40 years, bad news is the roads & place hasn't been maintained. Looks like a very thick cover. Going to make it hard to walk in
careybirdwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2020, 09:07 PM   #45
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Good luck out there guys!
BigRed323 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2020, 09:48 PM   #46
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by careybirdwell View Post
I had a hunt at Eastlake this weekend. I got a call today saying that they were moving the hunt to the Schlaben Unit because of the cow tick disease. Good news is the place hasn't been hunted in 40 years, bad news is the roads & place hasn't been maintained. Looks like a very thick cover. Going to make it hard to walk in
That's interesting, wonder if they're doing that for all the hunts. That doesn't sound like something that's quick to get rid of.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #47
Clay6x45
Spike

Illegals have become a great problem in recent years so be prepared to have your hunt messed up.

Are the illegals just passing along the county roads or are they walking though the middle of the refuge? Are border patrol walking though refuge in search of them? Are they breaking into vehicles? Just curious what you meant about expecting the hunt to be messed up.
I will be down there next week 19th-22nd.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #48
Clay6x45
Spike

I was trying to quote Bow Bandit with the first sentence of my above post but It apparently didn't let me quote just part of the post. Sorry I'm still learning how to use the forum.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:47 PM   #49
BOW BANDIT
Six Point

They can be seen near the roads most of the time but I have heard of some cases of them thru the brush east of Co Rd. 30 moving north since is the only section that connects with solid brush in the ranch north of the refuge. I have never heard of any break ins to vehicles, What I mean of the messing up a hunt is that they will spoke any animals in the area.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:23 PM   #50
RiverRat00
Pope & Young

I wonder why this hunt is cut short by 1 day-- all $130 hunts are 5 day hunts
RiverRat00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top