Traditional FSC Week 44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional FSC Week 44

This week, we'll stick with 12 yards (6 for kids) but shoot two arrows from any stance, trying to hit the triangular holes made by a "church key" on the top of a beer or soda can. Anyone under about 50 may have no idea that cans used to have to be opened this way since Prohibition was lifted and until the '60s, when "ring-pull" tops came along.

For the target, just trace around the bottom of a can with a Sharpie to make about a 2-3/8" diameter circle somewhere away from the middle of a piece of paper. I used an actual church key to make my triangular holes -- set opposite each other at "clock" positions OTHER THAN 3/9 or 12/6. Mine are at about 2 and 8 o-clock. The triangular marks should be between 3/4" and 7/8" from can rim to point and about 3/4" wide at the rim edge.

Shoot the first two arrows of a day, trying to hit each hole with one. Touching any part of a triangular hole counts as a hit. You can only count one arrow per hole. If neither hole is hit, but arrow hits top, measure the closest hit on the can top to the point of the nearest triangle. If one hole is hit, but the other is missed but still on top, then measure the miss to the tip of the other triangle. Goal is to hit each hole with an arrow. Up to five days' tries at this. Tie breaker is earliest, most hole-hits on a single day. If that's still a tie, then the closest arrow to the point of a triangle on that same day will come into play.

Good luck, and have fun safely!

Draw your own target or feel free to size and print this:

(Orient it either way)

Click image for larger version

Name:	can top target.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	25229912

Day 1: nothing

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Comment

Day1: miss

Comment

Cool target, TT. Ill draw up and shoot tomorrow. Thanks for the history of drinking beer from a can. I do have less than 50 yrs under my belt, but I bar backed and bounced for a while and we always referred to the flat long bottle openers that bar tenders and bar backs use for opening bottles as a Church Key. Now I know the back story.

Comment

Day 2: miss

Comment

Day 1 -> Miss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Day 1: nil
              Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Day 2 -> Miss

I did learn how to read, however and got the tab locations rotated!

Comment

Day 3: at least hit the can top (1st arrow), about 1" from tip of triangle hole.

Comment

Day 2: soggy miss
                    Day 3: blustery 3/8”...was my first shot aiming to top notch. I gave myself target panic on my second shot aiming for the bottom notch...aiming so close to the first arrow.
                    Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Day 3 -> one hit (3/4”) the second missed left.

Comment

Nice shooting, y'all!

My Day 4: miss

Comment

Finally figured out what we are shooting! Hahahaha
                          Kidding.

I’ll post up Day 4 in a bit. Then tomorrow will try for that (suddenly) elusive ‘trophy doe’ again. This is exponentially harder than rifle deer hunting, and I love it! Definitely giving me the ‘thrill’ back.

Comment

Day 4 -> Miss x2 (held a little too low on second shot)

Comment

Day2: 1st arrow 1/2"

Comment

Working...
                              X