In the market for a bow, never bow hunted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black_foot_ View Post
    Wisdom in this post. I bought an old solo cam and did same thing. Bought a 3 year old bow a year later, 6 years later that 9 year old bow is still stacking em.
    Yeah, same here. Went from the Nova to a Mathews Monster to a Mathews Z7 within about 2 years. Still laying 'em down with the Z7. Got the new bow itch for sure, but I've successfully saved my money because the Z7 gets it done year after year.

Now, in all fairness, I've spent a small fortune on other bowhunting gear.
    Rests, sights, arrows, broadheads, camo, cases, stands, rangefinders, releases, backpacks, quivers, .....

Comment

So if I go the used bow route, how can I check for wear and tear or determine a fair price?

Comment

Do you know your draw length? How much can you pull? Do you know which eye is dominant?

Find a mentor, someone who knows bowhunting and is willing to spend time with you to teach you.

Regardless of new price of a bow, when they leave the shop they are worth about $400-$700, that's it. A lot of guys on TBH buy one every year. There is a brand new Mathews Triax, totally rigged with every thing, $875. Pretty good deal. Left hand model.

Examine the bow limbs for cracks, splinters, from the pocket to the axle. Examine the string for frays and serving separation. Strings are easy for a bow shop to replace.
        Last edited by lovemylegacy; 10-23-2020, 11:16 AM.

Comment

There’s a few good videos on buying used bows on YouTube. Look up “average jack archery”

Comment

Originally posted by LOC4L View Post
            So if I go the used bow route, how can I check for wear and tear or determine a fair price?

Im willing to bet that if you found one in the classifieds here you were interested in, that the owner would meet you at a shop near him/her to let you shoot it and get it checked out. Lots of good folks here to deal with.

Also, there are some pretty solid deals in the classifieds right now. Pick sone out in your price range and watch videos, read reviews, etc to narrow down what you might be interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If you are looking for a particular used bow it might be more difficult being a lefty

Comment

Left handed Triax in the classifieds

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                  Lots of great bows from lots of manufacturers these days. You can find some good deals on great used bow on here fully rigged and ready to roll. Look at elite, mathews, obsession, ect. You can find a great bow thats a few years old rigged out for around $500 or less sometimes. Mission which is made by mathews makes some great bows with great prices also.
                  This. I would also add, spend a little more on the bow, and go cheaper on the sight, quiver, release, and other accessories. You will learn what works for you, then spend the $ where you think it's necessary to upgrade.

For me, I bought a new Mathews HTX, which I love, and everything else was pretty entry level except for the rest. I am buying a nicer sight this year, and bought a really nice tension release two years ago, and a really nice quiver last year.

Comment

A lot of nice bows out there, just depends on how much you want to drop. Keep in mind the prices are for a bare bone bow at the bow shops. It is hard to go wrong with Hoyt or Mathews. Hoyt has a few out @ 350fps IBO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X