Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I guess I am just going to have to get a divorce....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I am just going to have to get a divorce....

until the Corona virus thing is over. This morning my wife saw the stock market was down another 462 points in pre-market trading, she comes into the den crying that unless I do something our 401k will disappear. Her remark was "how are you going to take care of me?" I told her that maybe all this stress I am getting about this will cause me to have a heart attack and I will die at my desk so she can collect on the life insurance policy...that should tide her over.

I have tried to make her understand that the stock market decline is not because our economy is bad, but that this Covid19 thing is making everyone crazy because we have no immunity for it and we have no vaccine for it so the only thing we can do until this happens is to basically shutdown the country to try to stop it. Once we get a handle on this and start winning this "battle", which I have every faith that we will, everything will turn around. Luckily I work for an industry that is not service related so I go to work everyday. If the government would quit trying to slip in money for pet ideologies, like increase funding for abortion, and pass funding help for those that need it, with a sunset clause, we can all take a breath.

when you are retired and living off your 401K in times like this it will make you cry!!

Comment

Russ tell her not to look- it is going o be a ride for a few months- Oil at these prices is horrible for the economy.

Comment

Mine has been working me like a sugar mill jackarse for 26 years. And still doing it even since I’ve retired. She never asked me to take care of her though. She got her masters and the money that came with it so now I just say “yes Mam”.

Comment

Well, if you have to get divorced it would be a good time. With your portfolio down as much as it is. You would have to give her a lot less in the split
          Do not sell. Then the loss will be realized. Good time to buy if you are a gambling man.
          Yes, the market is crazy and anyone who has money in it is taking a beating in some way. Money needs to flow for the economy to be viable and with everyone staying home. A large part of the money is not being spent or earned. No flow. With no oil flow, the rings, cams and lifters do not function smoothly as they should. Here we are.

Comment

A buddy of mine made a comment to me recently that my Annuity looks pretty good at this point and I must agree. Got out of the market about 7 years ago and never looked back. I didn't make as much as I could have over the past 7 years but most of those gains would have been erased in the last 4 weeks. Something to think about in the future.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by splitfinger View Post
              A buddy of mine made a comment to me recently that my Annuity looks pretty good at this point and I must agree. Got out of the market about 7 years ago and never looked back. I didn't make as much as I could have over the past 7 years but most of those gains would have been erased in the last 4 weeks. Something to think about in the future.

Doug
              Annuity is my retirement plan as well.

Comment

Originally posted by splitfinger View Post

Doug
                Is it a fixed annuity or variable annuity?

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
                  Annuity is my retirement plan as well.
                  It's not a terrible idea as a diversified part of investment, but I'd rather have better income sources like REITs, real estate, etc.

Comment

This morning my wife saw the stock market was down another 462 points in pre-market trading, she comes into the den crying that unless I do something our 401k will disappear. Her remark was "how are you going to take care of me?"

Sounds like a dang good reason to get that divorce IMO

What are you going to do for me? Not what can I do to help?...

Comment

Originally posted by mfarmer View Post
                      This morning my wife saw the stock market was down another 462 points in pre-market trading, she comes into the den crying that unless I do something our 401k will disappear. Her remark was "how are you going to take care of me?"

Sounds like a dang good reason to get that divorce IMO

What are you going to do for me? Not what can I do to help?...
                      Ya, I noticed that too!

Comment

Well if you leave now you have less you have to pay her...

Comment

Dewberries are in full bloom

Comment

I guess you could get her a bike and a watch and when she says what are these far you tell her it’s time to ride!

Comment

Divorce is a better gamble than a 401k roll the dice...

Comment

Working...
                              X