Shoulder surgery question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoulder surgery question

I have been having shoulder problems the past few years. I finally went to the orthopedist. We done an xray on my shoulder and I have two bone spurs rubbing pretty good. Also I went and done an MRI yesterday to see if and how bad of a tear I have in my shoulder. Next monday I will find out the results of that. Anyways for those of you that have had this type of surgery how long am i looking at before i can shoot my bows again? All I know is I am looking forward to shooting again without worrying about my shoulder collapsing on me drawing the bow

Your dr would be the best to answer this.
    But my guess 8 to 12 weeks before you draw your bow.

Good luck

Comment

Depends on results of the MRI honestly.

Comment

Yeah I wouldn't get ahead of yourself. It might be worse than you imagine. Like the 6 months plus I had to go.
        Then again it might be 6 to 8 weeks. Let the doctor and the physical therapist guide you. Listen and cooperate with them and you'll be back a lot sooner.

Gary

Comment

I’ll take a stab at it if you tell me the location of your pain...

Comment

I had surgery for a torn rotator cuff on December 27 and shot my bow for the first time in early July. It’s a long recovery, my first physical therapy appointment was about 8 weeks after the surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
              Yeah I wouldn't get ahead of yourself. It might be worse than you imagine. Like the 6 months plus I had to go.
              Then again it might be 6 to 8 weeks. Let the doctor and the physical therapist guide you. Listen and cooperate with them and you'll be back a lot sooner.

Gary
              Pretty much what I have been thinking I have been preparing for 6 to 9 months all the while hoping it is shorter. I plan on doing everything they say. My dad has had this same surgery on both of his shoulders in the past year. I am just curious how the time frame has worked out for others. Personally I dont care if I have to wait a year before I shoot again I just want the shoulder right. So that when I do I can enjoy it again.

Comment

I was told 3 months,but I had a total replacement

Comment

I've had rotator cuff tears on both shoulders in consecutive years about 8 years ago. It will take a good 9 months before you are able to feel confident again in the stability of your shoulder (my dr. was the Cowboys team physician, so he was well versed in it). IF you bust your arse in physical therapy you can be as as strong as before when you go back to hunting. But, it is a painful & tough process to go through. I'm not candy coating this. Today, I can easily pull as much weight as before, but I also hit the gym 6 days a week to ensure my shoulders stay strong.

Comment

I'm 44 and it took a little over 3 months l could pull a 30# micro Midas

Comment

It really depends how bad it is. My step mom it was a full four months. A co worker with similar situation as you was told possible 6 months.

I would get it done ASAP if I were you. A co worker had exactly what you had with bone spurs, one of those bone spurs poked through her muscle causing it to tear and bleed internally. She had surgery and is four weeks post op, and still can't lift her shoulder. Her Dr said had she come in right away prior to the internal bleeding, she probably would be almost back to normal already.

Comment

It will all depend on:
                        1. How bad the tear is
                        2. How quickly you heal
                        3. How well you follow the PT

I was very aggressive with PT after having my shoulder rebuilt. Was fortunate enough to have the PT chair delivered to my house and I used it 4-5 hours a day for three weeks then returned to work. This was 11 years ago so I am all but certain things are done differently now.

Michael

Comment

It was 6 months for me. The rehab was brutal. Worst part though is trying to sleep afterwards. Those two weeks were a complete and utter azzwhip.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                            It was 6 months for me. The rehab was brutal. Worst part though is trying to sleep afterwards. Those two weeks were a complete and utter azzwhip.
                            I could only sleep in a recliner. Ended up getting a reclining bed

Comment

Me too. On both of them.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                              X