Coupler for drill stem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coupler for drill stem

About to tear down my dads shop and move it to my property we plan on cutting the drill stem off at grade and I want to attach a 6 piece to put back in the ground. Anyone have any ideas other then butt welding it or no where I could find some couplers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut it off slightly below grade and then move over a foot or two and put in new poles. Trying to weld drill stem that's probably magnetized in a butt joint probably isn't going to be real strong unless you sleeve the two pieces together and then you really need to know what you're doing on that old pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by dawgkllr View Post
      Cut it off slightly below grade and then move over a foot or two and put in new poles. Trying to weld drill stem that's probably magnetized in a butt joint probably isn't going to be real strong unless you sleeve the two pieces together and then you really need to know what you're doing on that old pipe.

Right I would much rather make to fillet welds then a but weld.

Comment

Why not just pull them out of the ground?

Comment

I think I can visualize what you are trying to do

I would weld a plate on the bottom of the drill stem and anchor with bolts to the new slab

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
            I think I can visualize what you are trying to do

I would weld a plate on the bottom of the drill stem and anchor with bolts to the new slab

I like this idea.

Comment

Originally posted by dawgkllr View Post
              1/8" 6011 ac.
              It'll hold.

Comment

If the pipe isn't long enough after you cut it off from then find some pipe that will fit inside the drill stem I would put about two feet inside and add what ever length you need to put pipe back in ground then add a piece of the bigger drill stem and them well them together at the seam That will work as a bigger coupler. when I weld pipe together like that I will go up about 12 to fourteen inch from the new joint and weld a deep weld length wise about three inches on two sides and do the same on the added pipe

Comment

Not sure what size downhole tubing (drill stem) you have. If it is 2 3/8” Od you could get some 2 7/8” OD downhole tubing, the 2 3/8” will fit in side the 2 7/8”. 2 3/8” and 2 7/8” are common Tubing sizes in the oilfield.

Comment

Working...
                  X