Best way to catch a lizard????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a big wetland on part of our place. Was told there was a fairly large alligator (10-12' lizard ) in it.

This part of the state has a season from April to June and since that will be here fairly soon I am trying to determine a plan to try and take it

Considered rigging up bow and "hunting" it with float and arrow but there is no easy access to get a boat in the water

Hang a baited hook is an option

Possibly trying to catch it out sunning, then shooting with a rifle is another

Looking for advise from people that have taken one

I have a hook and a line left over from our hunt and I'll help hang it[emoji16]

We set 2 lines and caught on both. Chicken quarter inside a panty hose and kept in a bucket for 3 days. We let the chicken soak it it's own juice with a leftover bottle of deer blood. Bamboo pole with a close pin to hang the bait off the water about 14". Other end of line tied to tree or large stake. Set it up where you see said lizard

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Don’t just shoot it. It’s gotta be “caught” first.

Comment

Just hang your feet over the boat until they come cruising in to get a closer look....

Comment

I grew up right next door to Gus Engeling which is loaded with them. I caught a small one on a buzz king
          My dad hung plenty on drop lines & trot lines. Of course he cut the line as they were not his intended target. He’s caught plenty of channel cat & op with teeth marks ripped down their bodies.
          I don’t recommend noodling for them
          Good luck

Comment

We used rotten chicken halves. TIG welded 3-9/0 stainless hooks together to make a treble hook. Tied 550 cord around limb over the water and then made a slip hitch so the chicken hung about 10” above the water. Keep about 10ft of line behind the hitch. When the gator grabbed it , the slip hitch came loose and he could swim off/swallow it. One he swallows it he’s done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No help on the gator, but I've heard if you flash your light the lot lizards will just crawl in the cab with you.

Comment

Hanging a hook is best bet. Need a big hook! 14 o stainless shark hooks are best. Use mule tape for line. Hang like Quaker box said with several feet of slack . hang at least 3ft over the wAter. If he is that bug he will weigh 600 plus lbs. Have a strong winch handy.

They are finicky eaters when the water is cold. Late may is much easier with hook.

Comment

We need pictures of the outcome, no matter how you do it!!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                    Hanging a hook is best bet. Need a big hook! 14 o stainless shark hooks are best. Use mule tape for line. Hang like Quaker box said with several feet of slack . hang at least 3ft over the wAter. If he is that bug he will weigh 600 plus lbs. Have a strong winch handy.

They are finicky eaters when the water is cold. Late may is much easier with hook.
                    Good advice here. I have one question. How brushy or stumpy is the water? If stumpy do not give them too much slack in the line. He will get tangled up.

Comment

When a buddy and I were teenagers we tried, more so, I tried to catch one of those big water lizards. All we had was a short rope and about a 14 ft., very irritated water lizard. After it chased us about 75 yards, I wanted to contact all of those wildlife shows that said those things will only chase you 20 to 30 ft. and tell them, that they have no clue what they are talking about. I can tell you they can run very fast for being so big and old. I used to chase little lizards as a kid, that was the first time, I ever got chased by a lizard, that was one big fast lizard and hopefully the last time I ever get chased by one.

So a short rope and a long lizard, is no good, you can scratch that idea off.

If I had a pond with a big lizard in it, I would leave it a lone, they are pretty cool in my opinion. But if you have pets such as dogs, that could be a problem. I got to watch two water lizards eat a deer over about four days. They leave the carcass floating in the water for days, letting it get soft, so it's easier to rip pieces off and then swallow the pieces whole. I have had many close encounters with those things a few times in the dark, in tall grass. You don't ever forget that hissing sound, that means you are too close.

Comment

30’ of 600+lb tarred twine with a 12-14/0 non-stainless mustad hook. Use the cheapest chicken thigh quarters or beef melt you can find for bait and hang the bait about 2 feet off the water.

Last edited by bloodtrail18; 02-18-2020, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
                            30’ of 600+lb tarred twine with a 12-14/0 non-stainless mustad hook. Use the cheapest chicken thigh quarters or beef melt you can find for bait and hang the bait about 2 feet off the water.

That's perfect for an 8 or 9 ft gator. Way too small hook and line for a 12 ft gator.

Comment

My buddies pulled some tags and hunted for them a couple days with chicken. Some locals told them beef spleen. Next day they got 2. I think they were 10'9" and 12'8".

Comment

Working...
                              X