Any tax experts on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tax experts on here?

My son is 19. A full time college student who lives at home and works a very part time job that pays him a on 1099 so no taxes are withheld. He made right at 10,000 last year. When I do his taxes on turbo tax it shows him owing $1700. Also doesn't seem to matter if I claim him or not. Does this seems legit? Or am I doing something wrong? He dont mind paying a professional if I need to but obviously a struggling college student doesnt want to pay more than he has to. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

He shouldn't need to file if his income was below $12,200.

Comment

Last edited by Graysonhogs; 02-10-2020, 12:13 PM.

Comment

great place for expert tax advice, I come here every year

Comment

Was he a true self employed contractor or is his employer trying to skirt their own responsibilities?

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
            great place for expert tax advice, I come here every year
            Lol.
            Why there is a whole bunch of experts on here, just ask them.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
              Was he a true self employed contractor or is his employer trying to skirt their own responsibilities?
              Nah just works at a bbq place. They are great to him very flexible. Only about a 1/2 mile from the house so it's perfect. He is not a real contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by CADDOKILLER View Post
                Nah just works at a bbq place. They are great to him very flexible. Only about a 1/2 mile from the house so it's perfect. He is not a real contractor.

Before I'm labeled an internet expert it sounds like he should've gotten a w2.

Comment

Originally posted by trash2 View Post
                  Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by CADDOKILLER View Post
                    My son is 19. A full time college student who lives at home and works a very part time job that pays him a on 1099 so no taxes are withheld. He made right at 10,000 last year. When I do his taxes on turbo tax it shows him owing $1700. Also doesn't seem to matter if I claim him or not. Does this seems legit? Or am I doing something wrong? He dont mind paying a professional if I need to but obviously a struggling college student doesnt want to pay more than he has to. Thanks

1. Yes, it is correct. He earned wages and didnt pay taxes. You have calculated the amount of tax he should pay.

2. Does he need to file? Did he get a 1099-misc form.. then yes. The threshold for filing is making less than $400. This is different from the threshold for someone with a w-2.

Then there is the whole question of if the business was correct in using a 1099.. which it wasnt.. because he isnt an independent contractor. He should have gotten a w-2.. but that is a issue for a different thread.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by r_u_sharp_2; 02-10-2020, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Dont worry about. paying your taxes is optional, just like paying off credit cards.

Comment

Originally posted by trash2 View Post
                        Originally posted by Honker View Post
                        Agreed.
                        Correct for someone that receives a w-2, not for someone that gets a 1099.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, about 86,004 of them.

Comment

It’s my understanding that the majority of that income would be taxed at the 10% bracket. Then he should also qualify for deductions for things like school and other work related expenses.

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately the 1099 is the killer here. Makes it seem like he was a small business owner.

Sounds like the employer didn't want to have to mess with deducting the taxes, SS & medicare but didn't tell him. And your son not knowing, he didn't withhold tax on his own like a small business owner would have to.

Might be worth filing as a business and claim business related expenses.

J

Comment

Working...
                              X