First Red Fox!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Red Fox!

Got out of bed real early before work and headed out to where my buddy saw a red fox yesterday. He's seen it a few times already so I was hoping to see it and get a shot. Almost exactly where he'd seen it there it was in the field mousing. I used what cover I had available (which wasn't much) to get within 100 yards or so. It must've saw me at some point and crouched down like a cat would.

It took me a minute to pick it up again but I only had a head shot available because it was crouched down behind a clump of grass. I had it in the scope and was about to squeeze the trigger but held off because I didn't want to hit it in the head with the .223 because I figured there wouldn't be nothin left to it if I did that. I had no more thought that and it turned to run. I was already on it so it didn't take me long to react when it did. The bullet hit it just behind the shoulder and exited through its chest because it was quartered away from me when I shot. No pelt damage whatsoever.

I saw two more but I don't think I'm gonna shoot anymore. I've been after one for a really long time now and I did what I set out to do so I figure that's good enough. I'll post a picture when I have more time.

I say it was the same one my buddy saw yesterday. That's just speculation. There's other ones around so who knows really.

Comment

We don't have many reds this far South, but a mature Red Fox is to me one of the prettiest animals God made! Congratulations on getting one!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        We don't have many reds this far South, but a mature Red Fox is to me one of the prettiest animals God made! Congratulations on getting one!
        Thanks bud, I agree. Very handsome creatures. I'm definitely gonna get a full body mount done when I find a taxidermist that does a good job on predators.

Comment

I want to see pics. Been high on my bucket list for a long time. Only seen one while calling and 2 in the wild from the road. May have to head up north one of these days just to kill one.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

You have time to post up a three paragraph write up but not enough for an extra 15 seconds to post the pic? Come on man?

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              You have time to post up a three paragraph write up but not enough for an extra 15 seconds to post the pic? Come on man?
              Well I mean I'll have to take pictures of it I should have said. I've been going out huntin for coyotes in the morning here lately and lose track of time so I probably need to quit doing it. I was cutting it close this morning and was a little late for work so I didn't take any pictures while I was out there. Just loaded it up and hauled butt.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                I want to see pics. Been high on my bucket list for a long time. Only seen one while calling and 2 in the wild from the road. May have to head up north one of these days just to kill one.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
                Yeah they're pretty scarce here too except close to towns and stuff. Coyotes will kill them so I think they've learned to stick closer to areas inhabited by humans more. I've noticed any area I've seen red foxes in, that there aren't as many coyotes. They steer clear of them.

Which I guess in a way probably helped me this morning because I know the foxes out there are used to seeing people. They're still afraid of people but I think they tolerate them just enough to be careless.

Comment

Hell yes congrats !

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                    Hell yes congrats !
                    Thanks man I'm psyched that I got one. It's pretty awesome when you get to check a critter off the bucket list. Been waiting on this one for a long time.

Comment

99% of tbh clicked for a picture
                      99% are disappointed

Comment

We have a bunch on our lease in Erath Ct. I'll try find a pic of the one I shot last year. I saw two this year or the same one two different sits. Get them on game cameras too.

Comment

So no pic..,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Looks like a grey to me, been watching to see the pic of a red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X