No announcement yet.

Vandalized Mailbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've built close to a hundred indestructable mail boxes for people through the years. Even though it costs more, they all want it to look just like a regular mail box instead of just making it out of a piece of pipe. They want the guy to hit it again.
    Attached Files

Comment

Ours got taken out when I was in high school.

We had a brick one about 4ft-tall at he end of our front walkway with 2ftx2ftx2ft brick planter boxes on either side of it.

Around 11pm, some kids from another school sped their 4WD jacked-up Bronco into our cul-de-sac, turned the circle, but straightened out the wheel too soon. We heard a loud series of bangs and crunches and ran outside. The Broco had hit the curb, the first planter box, then knocked the mailbox in-half....and the truck was sitting at a 45 degree angle on top of it!
      The under-carriage was just as mangled as the front, and we found out later that the repairs were so expensive (to the Bronco) that the kid's parents sold it for scrap and didn't get the kid another car.
      His parents paid for our new mailbox, but called my parents every month for 5 or 6 months to update them on all the jobs/chores he was having to do to pay them back.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
        A friend had this happen to him. They would literally drive up to the mail box post and slowly push it over. After the fourth time he decided to weld pieces of 1" rebar in a cross on the bottom of the pipe post. After sitting it where he wanted it, he covered the rebar with dirt. When the kids ran over it the next time, as the post leaned over, the rebar punctured his oil pan. It was easy to "blood trail" the truck "blood" down the road to the dead truck. It was a wonderful thing.
        Like your thought process.

Comment

Originally posted by Allaround View Post
          My mail box got taken out twice. The first time I was able to pound it back out but the second time it was trashed.

I made my next box myself. So far two cars have hit it and both of them were left at the scene for the cops. Arrests were made. Mailbox doesn't have so much as a dent in it.

Don't screw with a country boy that owns a welder.
          Lol! My dad welded a suprise onto my parent's mailbox. Amazingly, that mailbox still stands! Country guy + welder = career ending experience for a mailbox rodeo clown.

Comment

They got mine and several others in my neighborhood two weeks ago. I noticed a couple more down this weekend.

Comment

Mount 3 mailboxes about 4' from each other. Use the middle one for your mail and fill the outer 2 with sackcrete on drill stem 3-4' deep. That'll stop em

Comment

When I lived out in the country I had this done to me several times. They would just push the post over with their vehicle. I buried a cross tie 4' in the ground and got a plastic mailbox that just barely stayed on in the wind. I would go out in the mornings and put it back on. They never could push that tie over.

Comment

I've got a friend with the same problem until he made a sch. 80 pipe stand for 3 mailboxes. He filled the outer 2 with concrete and mounted all 3 to the pipe stand. When the young'uns thought a baseball bat would take out several boxes they were surprised to find the outer 2 filled with indestructible concrete.

Comment

It was a few years ago that an old man in Georgetown was getting his mailbox smashed almost weekly. He bought the bigger size mail box and put the smaller size inside it and poured concrete around the smaller box but inside the bigger one. The next time it got hit, the kid leaned out of a truck with a bat and whacked it and broke his arm and dislocated his shoulder. He was a star foot ball player at Georgetown. His folks sued the old man and I never heard the out come of it. The kid got what he deserved if you ask me.

Comment

I lost 3 custom mailboxes in a 5 year period with idiot lowlifes bashing them with bats. I now buy the cheapest plastic mailbox I can find.....not as nice, but no money tied up with it. Sucks having to replace it every few years.

SNAKEHUNTER

Comment

After my dads got taken out twice in a month I did a redesign. The pole doesn't go into the ground...it sits on an H shaped base made out of 1 1/4" rebar. Hit it now and it flips up and takes out their oil pan. When it gets hit now we just follow the oil trail to see who did it.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                          It was a few years ago that an old man in Georgetown was getting his mailbox smashed almost weekly. He bought the bigger size mail box and put the smaller size inside it and poured concrete around the smaller box but inside the bigger one. The next time it got hit, the kid leaned out of a truck with a bat and whacked it and broke his arm and dislocated his shoulder. He was a star foot ball player at Georgetown. His folks sued the old man and I never heard the out come of it. The kid got what he deserved if you ask me.
                          I'd like to have been on that jury! "Not Guilty"

Comment

Working...
                          X