X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
      There is what I named the "law of expectations". I have been self employed most of my life because of it.
      The goofballs that don't show up on time, take off sick, have numerous emergencies, etc...the expectation for that person drops and they get away with stuff you wouldn't ever pull on someone. They expect more from you and you give it to them. You won't ever change it so become the boss, own your own business or live with it.
      That is why the Bible tells us to do everything as we are doing it for God...because there is going to be disappointment in men.
      There is much truth to all of this ^^^^^

I run a crew of around 21 and I am responsible for covering the needs of my employer at all times.

When we are busy there is less flexibility on just "deciding to take a day", as a matter of fact I would not be happy if you called any time and told me that you woke up and decided you "needed a day" because someone may have planned ahead to be off today and now you have put me in a bind just because you felt you needed some time or the fish were biting or bucks rutting or whatever.
      If you are sick, sick kid, etc then I may be in a bind but that is just part of the equation

A PTO request is just that, a request. I am not required to grant it and will deny it in a minute if I feel it will be detrimental to my department

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
        I,I,I,I,Me,Me,Me,Me.... look at your whole paragraph... you are self centered and thinking only about yourself. And usually when someone brags about how good they are at what they do.... seems those are usually the first ones looking for a job.

you sir are Incredibly wrong....i have to think about my job 300+ days a year....i can't begin to describe how may 90 hr weeks I've put in in my life...ive worked months straight without a day off...missed my own childs birthday party all to remain employed to take care of them...i think the point that is being missed here is that I don't think I should have to lie to my foreman like the others do all for a day off...he and I are close and a little understanding goes a long way....

Comment

[QUOTE=12RingKing;14874956]

You work for them, and it’s their rules.
          Play the game or find another job.

This is actually the best advice I've read yet....thank you
          Last edited by DEREKG22; 05-18-2020, 06:36 AM.

Comment

��

It’s a two way street. I understand where you are coming from (I’d have never posted it here asking for opinions though), but I also completely understand where your boss is coming from, too.

Business needs come first (which is kind of why you’re employed in the first place), personal time off is somewhere else down the line.

In one of my former roles I ran a portion of Turnaround department for a big oil company. My employees knew that come turnaround time (or anytime we were swamped) there was no vacation or personal time off (for things other than family emergency, them being sick, etc.). Being a boss/leader is pretty challenging and I completely agree that keeping the workers happy is quite a task, but in the end we all have one goal and that’s to get the work done when needed. There’s plenty of time for other activities.

Now, I think I’d have made my kids b-day party.....

Comment

Try to schedule a day off weeks in advance it is easier for your boss if he knows you have something planned and your boss can plan for you to be gone. Or use the sick grandma excuse lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Tough crowd around here....

As an employee with PTO, you should be able to take that time off without being harassed. I know most employers don't understand that though.

Comment

Work is not your life.

Time off is time off, it's too bad if it's a bad time for the boss.
                  I'm sure you've come in on days you would rather not be there as well.

That being said.....choices usually boil down to three alternatives.

1. Suck it up and take it.
                  2. Stand up for what's right - do whatever has to be done.
                  3. Don't pick 1 or 2, just complain about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                    Work is not your life.

Time off is time off, it's too bad if it's a bad time for the boss.
                    I'm sure you've come in on days you would rather not be there as well.

That being said.....choices usually boil down to three alternatives.

1. Suck it up and take it.
                    2. Stand up for what's right - do whatever has to be done.
                    3. Don't pick 1 or 2, just complain about it.
                    Amen

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post

As an employee with PTO, you should be able to take that time off without being harassed. I know most employers don't understand that though.

This. You earned the PTO and it’s apart of the package you agreed on to work for them. Their rules, right?

Take the time, take the flak, if they don’t like it they can do something about it. I would try to use it in a reasonable way, not at the absolute peak time of whatever your busy season is. BUT there is always another project to get done, quicker, better, cheaper, so basically they will always have an excuse for you to not use it I’m sure.

Comment

Exactly ^^^^

Comment

I treat the people that work for me the way I want to be treated. And sometime that means they get to enjoy time off when and if they want. That time does have to be scheduled in advance. I have found over the years, that some people will take advantage of this, and they don't end up working for me for very long.

I also feel like people who get to take a few extra days off here or there, are better employees because they have less stress and appreciate being treated decently. Which makes them a better person to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailtrail View Post
                            This. You earned the PTO and it’s apart of the package you agreed on to work for them. Their rules, right?

Take the time, take the flak, if they don’t like it they can do something about it. I would try to use it in a reasonable way, not at the absolute peak time of whatever your busy season is. BUT there is always another project to get done, quicker, better, cheaper, so basically they will always have an excuse for you to not use it I’m sure.

Exactly what I was thinking. One question I had was are you LOSING time?...that is, are you in a use-it-or-lose-it situation? I know of several employers who give PTO to employees but are perpetually busy and don't give the employee the opportunity to use their leave. This is by design and the employer is banking on the fact that the employee does not use all of their leave.

You earned it per their rules and you shouldn't feel guilty for using it. Use it smartly and if the company is in a pinch maybe try to take off at a more convenient time for both parties. Just a thought.

Comment

Sure, an employee should be able to take time off without being harassed; especially if an employer has a "use it or lose it" policy.

With that said, the OP also stated -
                              ....i can't just call and say "hey I'd like to take the day off to go fishing today cause mother nature finally allowed the seas to flatten out briefly"...if we are busy at work ill get flak real quick...i feel like i am being punished for being good at what i do....in fact in our busy season we get told flat out- no time off will be approved...

The employer should be afforded a bit more than same day notice for a PTO request. There are other employees and perhaps someone already is scheduled off on that day.

As for busy times, it really depends on the industry. But let's be honest, if a business is seasonal or makes large percentages of it's revenue during certain times, the employer is going to push their employees to work hard during those times. If said employee doesn't like the business cycle, they have a right to find another job.

I love to fish and the outdoors just as much as anyone else, but being able to just drop everything at a moments notice is typically not a luxury for someone working a full-time job. I miss those days back in college when that was a reality and look forward to retirement or perhaps owning my own business one day.

Comment

My situation is somewhat similar to yours. Company I work for offers 3 services and I’m the only employee experienced with all 3 services. As you can imagine I stay very busy. My company is good about getting me time off when I need it but I also don’t request time off if we’re slammed, and try not to make it a last minute request. I think it’s just a balance.

Comment

Working...
                                X