Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
    Oh, you called 'em "flippers" too then?
    On one of our trips to visit my grandfather in Grapeland when I was a little kid (early 1960's) he had made me a slingshot. When he gave it to me he referred to it by that "flipper" name. I had literally never heard that word before and I repeated it when I proudly showed it to my mom. She choked on her sweet tea, turned bright red and stomped out to find my grandad. (her father -in-law) I still remember her telling me later "your grandpa is a great man but he was born in 1889 and his attitudes about some things are a bit archaic." I didn't know what that word meant either.
    Last edited by jerp; 04-28-2020, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I remember being surprised how far the dime store wire and rubber band ones would launch a marble when i was a kid. Now with a wrist rocket, my favorite ammo was 00 buckshot. I bought a 5# bag. Killed several animals with it.

Comment

I just ordered 3 of the gamekeepers for me and 2 other guys I work with Thanks ! My wife will be proud.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
          Yep.....My sister is 44 years old and still terrified of sweet gum balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by Jerry H View Post
          China berries made good ammo too
          Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          They left a mark for a while too...
          Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          Yessir while green, and a lot cheaper than marbles!
          Originally posted by Jerry H View Post
          The good old days
          That's funny. There were Chinaberry trees in the neighborhood where I grew up, I think most of the kids from that area are terrified of them. We used to have some all out wars. Get a coffee can full of them, and we'd run around shooting each other with them all day long.

Nowadays, I have a cheap wrist rocket that I play around with from time to time at the Farm. Fling rocks at cans and whatnot. It's fun to piddle around with, but doesn't really consume me.

Comment

Someone pm me the “flipper” name so I have a clue what you’re talking about. I’ve never heard it called anything except a slingshot.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
              Someone pm me the “flipper” name so I have a clue what you’re talking about. I’ve never heard it called anything except a slingshot.
              Same thing. Always known it as slingshot. Never heard catapult..

Comment

It was a racial epithet followed by flipper

Comment

Been shootin' elm since I was knee high to a grasshopper, never got as good as dad but I'm still tryin'.

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                    That's not what we called them as kids.
                    Me neither.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                      It was a racial epithet followed by flipper
                      Ooohhh. Yeah. Don't think I'll ever call it that.

Comment

That's pretty nice sling shot. My uncle made a very nice wrist rocket year ago, wish I could get my hands on it. The brace that went up over your arm was a lot longer than the store bought models. He used some extra heavy duty surgical tubing on it.

I have been shooting wrist rockets since I was a kid, got very good with them a long time ago. Used to think 3/8" hex nuts were the greatest ammo, they tear up beer cans pretty good. But I found for hunting, it's hard to beat 00 Buck, the steel shot is pretty good, marbles are ok, but 00 Buck is great. 000 Buck is possibly better, but I never got hold of any larger lead balls than 00 Buck, back when I was a kid, when I shot wrist rockets a lot.

My favorite shot as kid, was to set up glass bottles with the top of the neck facing directly at me, so I was looking down the top of the bottle. Then shoot a marble through the top of the bottle from 20 to 30 ft. and shoot the bottom of the bottle out. If you get the marble down the neck cleanly, it will blow the bottom out of the bottle, leaving the rest of the bottle in tact. I was pretty deadly on rabbits and other similar sized critters. Wrist rockets led to me shooting bows, traditional style, for many years, then eventually I started using pin sights, with a peep.
                        Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 04-28-2020, 10:33 PM.

Comment

I've shot them all my life and still carry one in every vehicle I own. I make my own but you can order real good ones from Pocket Predator in Waco. The guy is a retired Navy Seal and is a phenomenal shot. I make mine out of 3" pipe, either aluminum or plastic. The curve just settles in my hand better. The rubber strips I use are made in Spain, just for slingshots. It's rather expensive but shoots heavier ammo better and lasts longer than any other rubber I've tried.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I usually had one in my pocket when I was a kid. Shot a lot of stuff with it, but the most memorable was when me and my cousin set up an ambush and shot June Bugs at my sister. We must have hit her 7 or 8 times before she figured out where they were coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                              I've shot them all my life and still carry one in every vehicle I own. I make my own but you can order real good ones from Pocket Predator in Waco. The guy is a retired Navy Seal and is a phenomenal shot. I make mine out of 3" pipe, either aluminum or plastic. The curve just settles in my hand better. The rubber strips I use are made in Spain, just for slingshots. It's rather expensive but shoots heavier ammo better and lasts longer than any other rubber I've tried.

I really enjoy the one I got from you . I do need to pick we up some new bands .

Comment

Ooohhh. Yeah. Don't think I'll ever call it that.
                                our name for em ended in ...shooter

Comment

Working...
                                X