Reloading set-up suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading set-up suggestions

I'd like to get started again reloading for both pistol (9mm) and rifle calibers (6.5 creedmor, 7mm Rem Mag, 257 Wby Mag). I used to reload years ago and I've got the itch to start up again with all this social distancing going on.
    I'm leaning toward a progressive loader but so much has changed and don't know which way to go or where to start.
    I'm open to all suggestions as to what equipment is best for the money.

If you’re going progressive a a Dillon 550B would be what I would choose.

Comment

I agree with M16 unless you are loading larger quantities of any one round. The current model is the 550C if you are buying new. Buying a 550B will save you a few bucks and you wont be giving up much of anything.

Comment

I’ve not owned a progressive but based on your needs I would get a single stage since you are primarily loading rifle.

9mm is still too cheap to buy in bulk for me to bother reloading it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have both - a Redding single stage, and a Dillon 550B

I do rifles on the single stage, and pistol on the 550. Before I got the 550, I could run about 100 rounds per hour on the single stage. I’m now able to run 300 or so per hour (might could go faster)

A good solution for you might be a turret press. Kind of a compromise between the two

Reloading equipment for rifles, handguns, pistols, revolvers, custom dies, bullet casting equipment, powder measuring and weighing equipment, bullet seating dies

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I really like my 550. It is a good all around press that loads accurate ammo fast enough for me.

The lee turret press is a good (but slower) option.

If you don’t plan on loading rifle on a progressive, the Dillon Square Deal is a good option... and I happen to have one for sale

Comment

As others have said you can't beat a Dillion except for price. I have a Hornady Lock N Load and really like it. I shoot a lot of pistol and it does great. I use it like a single stage for rifle. The powder drop just isn't as good as I would like for rifle unless I'm plinking 223.

Comment

Single stage you can always move updown the road...I got a Dillon great piece of equipment..It can load lots faster than I want and enjoy..I use it like a single stage most of time...I had a RCBS jr and was given the Dillon..so I gave the RCBS away ..it was and still is being used by friend...

all mentioned above by members are great too...its kind of a ford/chev/dodge/toyota thing what ya like and want

Comment

Dillion for high volume rounds, perfect for 9mm, 45 etc. RCBS Rockchucker for lower quantity rounds.

Comment

I have both and only use the progressive for pistol rounds and bulk 223. I use the single stage for my rifle rounds because I want precision and I weigh each charge anyways. It's also quite a bit cheaper to buy since I use so many different shell holders. I agree with Mike, 9mm isn't worth my time and when I find it on sale it's actually cheaper to buy than reload.

Comment

I use my Dillon 550 for all my high volume loading. Can't beat their no BS warranty.
                      All my hunting rifle loads I use my RCBS single stage unit that was handed down from my dad.

Comment

Can't beat Dillon for a progressive set up. Buying my 650XL was one of the best decisions ever. Especially when I was shooting a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                          If you’re going progressive a a Dillon 550B would be what I would choose.

Ding ding ding. Winner right here

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Reloading is a great hobby, but it can be a rabbit hole. I started out with a single stage to load .44 magnum on. At $40 a box i couldnt afford to shoot it.
                            A few years later i won the lee single stage, a lee classic turret, a dillon 650xl progressive, and a dillon square deal b which loads the .44 mag now.
                            I load .45acp on the dillon 650xl, but can load 9mm, and .223. Both of these calibers are best bought newl due to pricing, unless you are looking for precision, which is why i load .223 on the single stage. Plinking ammo i dont bother to reload. All other rifle rounds are loaded single stage for precision.

I am pretty sure i have not saved on cent by reloading, but it allows me to shoot a whole lot more than i used to.

Comment

I just upgraded from a RCBS single stage to the Hornady LNL AP. Did some minor tweaks to it and I’ve really gotten to like it. I’m only loading 9mm, .40 and 10mm for now. I’m going to start 6.8 now that I’ve got it tuned in and have gotten familiar with it. I’ll still use the single stage for my bolt guns. If nothing else, it’s something to do with the China virus hysteria running rampant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X