stihl chainsaw question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Electrican View Post

This. Buy new carb and run TRUEFUEL afterwards.
    You buy that overpriced crap if you want.
    I will keep mixing my own.

Comment

I think trufeul usage depends on how much you use it. I will run it when I know it will sit a bit, but if doing a good amount of work I will mix my own with non ethanol gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you are using them a lot, and not letting sit more than a week or 2, then ethanol gas will work. But i dare you to let it sit in it for 3 months, even with stabil. The big problem with ethanol, is that it will continue to absorb water from the air, and it already comes with water.
        If you have a source for ethanol free gas, then you will do much better. Here in the metroplex I dont have access to any real gas close. I probably burn 1.5 gallons of 50:1, and 3 gallons of straight gas a year. If i tried that with ethanol fuel, i would throw the equipment away, and pay someone else to cut it.

Comment

New carb from Amazon < $30. Then use Startron instead of stabill and you will be good to go. ��

Comment

All of you buying that overpriced premix canned stuff must not use much fuel

I mix 2.5gal at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
              My experience as well. I have an 034 I bought in 94 I think...
              I have let it sit for over a year and never pulled more than 5 times before it fired up. I have always mixed my own 2 cycle gas.
              Maybe the newer saws are different...
              I have an old one and a newer one, the new one is definitely more problematic and is currently in the shop. I’m going to try the their fuel and see if it’s any better.

Comment

I've run the heck out of my 170 with 87 octane ethanol for 4 years now. Worn out many chains and a bar. Never skipped a beat.

The key is probably running it every few days rather than every few months.

Comment

The problem with Stihl is they got greedy and figured out a 'pay me now or pay me later' scheme instead of just making all excellent products.

Apparently at some point, Stihl made the decision to put the cheapest piece of crap carburetors they could find on entry level or homeowner grade products. So you get 1 or 2 years use out of these and back to the shop it goes - needs new carb. I'm under the impression that had one spent the money to buy a more expensive model - something a professional would use - then you get a carburetor like they used to use and most likely real excellent Stihl quality.

So pay upfront or keep paying as long as you own the cheap product.

And I'm sure all the crap that is spread about - you can't use gas with ethanol - is probably true if you want want of these garbage carburetors to work & last more than a few years. And also good advertising for the incredibly expensive pre-mixed gas they sell in a can. More of the pay me later scheme.

I think the last carb I bought for a Stihl was around $15, direct from China shipping included. If I can buy it for that, what is Stihl paying and why would a carb that cheap last long?

I suppose Stihl is making money like they planned - they still do have a big following and strong brand name.

But it seems to me that eroding quality and the reputation that got you where you are, is a dangerous proposition. But hey, companies do it every day.

A coworker of mind told me to buy Echo, after the town he worked for had so much trouble with Stihl and had switched. It was great advice.

My Echos don't seem to care how old the gas is or whether it was started yesterday or 6 months ago- a few pulls and running. The manual says use of gas with ethanol is fine. If an Echo manual can say this, why can't a Stihl manual have the same thing in it.

Stihl will never get another dime from me. Although if the price is right, I would own a second hand professional grade model or one old enough to have still been the excellent quality they are know for.

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
                    The problem with Stihl is they got greedy and figured out a 'pay me now or pay me later' scheme instead of just making all excellent products.

Apparently at some point, Stihl made the decision to put the cheapest piece of crap carburetors they could find on entry level or homeowner grade products. So you get 1 or 2 years use out of these and back to the shop it goes - needs new carb. I'm under the impression that had one spent the money to buy a more expensive model - something a professional would use - then you get a carburetor like they used to use and most likely real excellent Stihl quality.

And I'm sure all the crap that is spread about - you can't use gas with ethanol - is probably true if you want want of these garbage carburetors to work & last more than a few years. And also good advertising for the incredibly expensive pre-mixed gas they sell in a can. More of the pay me later scheme.

I think the last carb I bought for a Stihl was around $15, direct from China shipping included. If I can buy it for that, what is Stihl paying and why would a carb that cheap last long?

I suppose Stihl is making money like they planned - they still do have a big following and strong brand name.

But it seems to me that eroding quality and the reputation that got you where you are, is a dangerous proposition. But hey, companies do it every day.

A coworker of mind told me to buy Echo, after the town he worked for had so much trouble with Stihl and had switched. It was great advice.

My Echos don't seem to care how old the gas is or whether it was started yesterday or 6 months ago- a few pulls and running. The manual says use of gas with ethanol is fine. If an Echo manual can say this, why can't a Stihl manual have the same thing in it.

Stihl will never get another dime from me. Although if the price is right, I would own a second hand professional grade model or one old enough to have still been the excellent quality they are know for.
                    I am an Arborist and own a Tree Service Company. I own over 20 chainsaws, 98% of them Stihl. I agree 100% on your comments regarding the "Homeowner/Entry Level" Stihl saws. I had a huge issue with Stihl on their recent redesign of their Extendable Power Pruner (HT 133), which is a Commercial Use Saw, where they "Cheapened" the materials, going from Aluminum to Plastic housings, smaller Chain that dulls 10x faster and other issues. They have since gone back to their original design sans the new power head.

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post

This is my EXACT experience. I switched over to Echo and carb and fuel line issues went away. No more Stihl for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                        I am an Arborist and own a Tree Service Company. I own over 20 chainsaws, 98% of them Stihl. I agree 100% on your comments regarding the "Homeowner/Entry Level" Stihl saws. I had a huge issue with Stihl on their recent redesign of their Extendable Power Pruner (HT 133), which is a Commercial Use Saw, where they "Cheapened" the materials, going from Aluminum to Plastic housings, smaller Chain that dulls 10x faster and other issues. They have since gone back to their original design sans the new power head.

Agreed
                        I own a landscape company and for commercial use there isn’t a replacement for stihl.
                        My favorite saw is the 14” top handle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
                          Check the spark screen in the muffler. Pull 2 screws out and take the screen out.
                          Throw the spark arrestor screen away.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like air in or exhaust out blockage. Check exhaust for dirt dauber nest. Check air filter. I bet its one if those . if not the carb is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                              I've run the heck out of my 170 with 87 octane ethanol for 4 years now. Worn out many chains and a bar. Never skipped a beat.

The key is probably running it every few days rather than every few months.
                              you are correct, ethanol does not store worth a darn,,, mix it burn it repeat,, just dont even think about storing it

Comment

Before you go rebuilding it, adjust the carb to spec. The old 021 I got from a relative has a habit of backing the screws out. It hadn't been run in who knows how long, adjusted it, changed the filters and plug, good to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X