Cara Cara in Van Zandt co.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cara Cara in Van Zandt co.

We were leaving my father in laws house at Edom this afternoon when 2 big birds flushed up from the bar ditch and flew away. Recognized as cara cara's. I have never seen one north of San Antonio. This was on FM 314 a mile north of Hwy 64.
    We had just been sitting on his porch birdwatching and enjoying being outside. I like to sit on their porch, we see several species we don't see in Mesquite, but never expected that.
    Seems like I have read here that others are seeing them in northeast Texas also.

Been seeing them for 4-5 years now in wood and surrounding county’s. First I saw was in Emory... had to turn around to make sure I wasn’t seeing things

Comment

We see them regularly here. I’m south east of Greenville. Saw the first one about 6 years ago.

Comment

I’ve seen many in VZC over the years. They aren’t super common but are around this time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been seeing a pair of them the past few months in a hay field behind my house here in Orange Texas.

Comment

Old man at my buddies lease in Comstock refers to them as The Mexican Air Force.

Comment

We have several on our place in Lampasas co. That's quite a ways north of San Antonio.

Comment

I have seen them frequently in Anderson county for the past several years.

Comment

I had two yesterday on a dead pig here in Burnet county .

Comment

Yep

Put out a carcass cam (game cam over a dead critter) a couple of years ago and got a pair here in northern Smith county.
                    Also saw a pair at BrettC's place last year

Comment

I was shredding a pasture a few weeks ago in Coryell County. As usual, all the hawks were gathering around for a meal like it’s a McDonalds. Lo and behold, I saw a Cara Cara in the mix. First one I have seen this far north.

Comment

See them fairly often around Greenville, always single. Furthest north I have seen one was in north Franklin county, almost to Red River county. Almost had a wreck trying to make a positive id. Like everything else, they are moving further north.
                        I saw 1 whitewing dove back in the early 80's, now they are everywhere.

Comment

Seen them in Palo Pinto county in the last 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

See them regularly in Western Hunt County

Comment

I live in Pearland just south of Houston and we have had regulars in our area for 2 years. I put my meat scraps out and at least 1 comes everyday to see what we put out. I have a game trail camera with many pictures, three at a time sometimes. We love watching them.

Comment

Working...
                              X