Zero Turn handle brush?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zero Turn handle brush?

Selling my tractor and wanting a good quality zero turn to handle the mowing at the ranch.

Sometimes the bush can get a couple feet high.

Will a Zero turn be adequate?

I want to stay at $3-$4K I can stretch it to $5 if I have to.

Raise the deck all the way up and you should be fine going slow. Just throw the grass outward

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

The Zero Turns that I am familiar with are "supposed" to only cut a maximum of 6" of grass. I have cut some that has been a foot tall with 3 passes but one pass, very doubtful.

Comment

I have mowed brush grass up to probably 2-1/2' - 3' with my Gravely but it wasn't super thick just normal field grass. Its the commercial series with the 23HP kawasaki engine.

I raised the deck up all the way and only made 1/2 passes so that it didn't get overloaded on the chute. After that I went back and cut it down to 2" and it was fine. I have also used it to clear thin legitimate brush (small bushes, small trees, etc) up to maybe an inch in diameter. It hasn't missed a lick and I admittedly abused the heck out of it. We moved in to a new house on raw land and I didn't have access to a tractor so I used what I had. 4 years strong and still cuts like a champ.

Comment

Just make dang sure the motor is good and warm before you start.

Comment

Personally I wouldn't get near brush with my Scag. Even the heavy duty commercial mowers don't hold up to that kind of stuff. They just weren't designed for it. All it takes is one small log or stump and your mowers toast.

Bush hogs have slip clutches or shear bolts for that purpose. Zero turns do not.

Comment

We used grasshoppers at work .we would cut stuff 4 or 5 foot tall all the time . It would put a beating on the mowers . I wouldn’t recommend a zero turn for what you want .

Comment

I dont do it.

I don't think zero turn's were meant for cutting brush but that's just me.

Comment

SCAG is a beast. It can handle high stuff as well but they are right large sticks or stumps are not good on them.
                  Last edited by brutus; 04-13-2020, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Find a used Kubota diesel ztr.Grasshopper diesel..I know they'll knock down the tallest grass,and bushes..I dunno about brush,but definitely bushes.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

My guess is the bearing housing for the blade spindle will break sooner than later. That seems to be the weak point on most all mowers now days. It is hard to beat a brush hog for that type of work.

Comment

we run scag cheetahs at work, iv cut grass/weeds/brush 5 foot tall with them. Raise the deck up and go slow. No problems at all.

Comment

Nope. Not too mention that sounds like its gonna be a rough ride.

Comment

Zero Turn handle brush?

I would never cut anything higher than recommended by the manufacturer.

Last edited by Atfulldraw; 04-14-2020, 05:58 AM.

Comment

For what a good zero turn is going to cost I would NOT be trying to use it as a brush hog

But it is your money, not mine

I am not sure how much you let get to that point or how often you plan to knock it down but I bet hiring a guy to shred it will be cheaper than repairing a zero turn in the long run

Comment

Working...
                              X