No announcement yet.

Doubled up on badgers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killed 2 last year with a bow, second is receiving a full body mount! Them are some stinky suckers!

Congrats, that one on the left ain’t missed many meals!

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
      Killed 2 last year with a bow, second is receiving a full body mount! Them are some stinky suckers!

Congrats, that one on the left ain’t missed many meals!
      Yeah some seem stinkier than others. That small one smelled like straight dirt but that was it. The other one had a faint smell of skunk and his fur felt greasy as all get out. That's why I had them gloves on of course. That one on the left was definitely a chunk.

I shot one, one time that was wider than that one. I shot one last Winter with that .223 using a 55gr. V-Max. Hit it in the butt when it was running away. I never recovered that badger because he got down the hole. Only one I've ever lost. He was a big son of a gun.
      Last edited by okrattler; 02-08-2020, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
        Why shoot em ? Serious question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        That was my question. Do they eat fawns or mess with the turkey population like coyotes? Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t kill things just because I can. Sorry, I’m sure this position will draw the ire of some.

Comment

Sucker is a fatty, congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post
            That was my question. Do they eat fawns or mess with the turkey population like coyotes? Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t kill things just because I can. Sorry, I’m sure this position will draw the ire of some.
            No hard feelings here. They're worth money and nowhere near rare to see here. To me they're a renewable resource. Plus they tear farm equipment up when they fall off in the holes out in the fields. They're basically a prairie dog on steroids. They can get to be a nuisance.

Comment

I had one year before last on my place in Fisher County, we had several game cam pics and my son saw him several times from the stand but I called him off limits.

Then he decimated our best rattle snake den.....

Shoulda killed him and got a mount.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                No hard feelings here. They're worth money and nowhere near rare to see here. To me they're a renewable resource. Plus they tear farm equipment up when they fall off in the holes out in the fields. They're basically a prairie dog on steroids. They can get to be a nuisance.
                Thanks for your honest answer. Didn’t know they were such a nuisance.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  I had one year before last on my place in Fisher County, we had several game cam pics and my son saw him several times from the stand but I called him off limits.

Then he decimated our best rattle snake den.....

Shoulda killed him and got a mount.
                  Yeah should have busted his butt. But then again you don't really think about that kind of stuff until after the fact.

Comment

That is awesome, congrats!

Comment

Very nice, congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post
                        Thanks for your honest answer. Didn’t know they were such a nuisance.
                        They do eat ground nesting bird eggs and whatnot but I can deal with that. That's just part of nature. They're just doing what they were built to do. I can't fault them for that anymore than I can a dog for barking. It's not really even their fault that people farm,irrigate fields or put cattle or roads where they dig holes. They don't know they're doing damage. I definitely don't hate them or anything. But like anything their numbers can really get out of hand because I don't anything really hunts them except humans.

Coyotes and badgers will actually run together but not necessarily as friends. Badgers are pretty slow animals. If you see a coyote trailing behind a badger it's not because it likes the badger. He's waiting for the badger to dig a ground squirrel or some sort of vermin up so it'll run out and the coyote can catch it before the badger does. They're not the brightest or fastest creatures on earth and obviously the coyotes have figured that out.
                        Last edited by okrattler; 02-08-2020, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Seen another one this evening but I lost sight of it. Have no idea where it went. I'm gonna go check tomorrow morning early before work and see if I can catch it out again. I doubt it'll happen but I might as well try.

Comment

Cool critters! Good shooting!

Comment

That’s wild, I’ve never seen one in the wild.

Comment

I have 5 more spots I know of where there's a badger currently living. That one I saw today I'll probably leave be for now because he's out in thicker stuff so he can get away pretty easy. I'm gonna see if he'll start moving towards the more open area out there to dig. I got another one that I haven't seen but I know it's out regularly because there's 22 or 23 mounds out there where it's been rootin around. It's in open prairie so it'll be easier to shoot that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X