Low fence game management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low fence game management

I'm contemplating getting some black buck and axis stock and set them loose on my property. Although my place is small (about 65+) the properties surrounding me are quite a bit larger and don't appear to be hunted. What is the likelihood if that a handful of black buck and a handful of axis will find each other, stay together, and breed locally? I don't care if they spread out -- I just want them to establish in the area and procreate. Will 3-4 does/2 bucks even give me a chance? I don't want to throw money away either. I'm just curious if others have had success turning them loose on low fence and seeing any success 2-3 years later.

I don't think that is even legal. Someone may correct me, but I would think that you can only put exotics in High fence properties. (or at least a fence designed to contain them)
    Last edited by wickll; 02-07-2020, 11:53 AM. Reason: add

Comment

If you have good 5 strand fencing, in theory, the black buck will stay if they're not pushed or threatened. Black buck will hang around a home or lodge where they feel protected.

The axis will not...they are wanderers.

Comment

Axis jump fences and Blackbuck wont except if pressured. A barbed wire fence won't hold either one for very long. If you have net wire, 4' is plenty, you'll be way better off.

Comment

Plenty of low fence places that have blackbuck on small acerage behind 5 strand/7 strand/goat wire fences. Don't expect the axis to stay around though.

Comment

interested in thread, although for WT and hogs only.

Comment

black will not jump a low fence unless pressured to do so. they will however find holes and get through a fence that way. I have seen many black buck in low fence property and never jumping the fence.

the axis will roam. they will jump a fence no problem and they will go wherever they want.

Comment

My opinion is this: If you have large properties around that are not being hunted, I would like to have the owners' contact info. so I could fix the 'not being hunted' problem.

Comment

My neighbor has bought several axis and released them in his high fence ranch. They seen to tame or don't recognize danger and the coyotes just eat them. So if you do release some make sure you don't have a coyote problem.

Comment

This is an interesting topic. I guess a lot depends on your neighbors and how much traffic there is to push these animals away.

Just out of curiosity, which tastes better????

Comment

I have 100 acres low fence and have no issues with BB. I also have a very large resident herd of Axis. While the does seem to stay on a small area the bucks are nomadic and ebb and flow off the property. I'll have some big ones show up during the rut then I won't see them for a year. Note that as others say about BB find a hole in a fence. When you release them they will walk the perimeter for weeks looking for a hole.

Comment

we have 25 acres in a 400 acre development in the country - fences are about 5 feet but are sturdy wood fences. There is a large group of BB that roam the properties - couple of bucks and the rest does. They figure out how to get through the fence - they have lived out here for the past 3-4 years - it is very cool to see them - they had to have escaped a HF ranch somewhere nearby

Comment

Originally posted by wickll View Post
                          I don't think that is even legal. Someone may correct me, but I would think that you can only put exotics in High fence properties. (or at least a fence designed to contain them)
                          It isn't illegal.

Comment

Sounds like a total waste of money to me.

Comment

Say goodbye to them when you turn them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X